OS 1.4 Stuck Notes on Arp?

blewis

OS 1.4 Stuck Notes on Arp?
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »
Hey guys, I was in the midst of posting about this on prophet5.org, but that forum is down this evening. I am seeing some stuck note behavior when using the arp feature in OS 1.4.

Here is a video showing what I am experiencing using an OS 1.4 factory patch.

Video and picture showing weird note sticking behavior in OS 1.4 using the arp.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02GWZuqDGnMNyT;9C0D7F10-8803-4BA5-BCD3-3A4452917081

OS info:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02GWZuqDGnMNyT;523845D7-D9A4-48E1-A6AB-25B0CDF254AE

Dark Chrome is available via DSI website here:

New Tempest Sound Set — v1.4

- Load Factory Project called Dark Chrome
- Go to Sounds Bank B
- Trigger some bass sounds. Notice they release just fine and don’t stick.
- Enable Roll.
- Arp set to Assign  (I have quant to 8th but it probably doesn’t matter)
- Roll some bass sounds.  Try rolling 1 bass sound first. Then maybe hold down 2 bass sounds to arpeggiate  them.
- bass notes will get stuck and you’ll have to cycle through the voices hitting other pads to get them to stop.

Anyone else seeing this?

blewis

Re: OS 1.4 Stuck Notes on Arp?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:00:34 PM »
I do have the Tempest connected to a MOTU micro express - both IN and OUT. I have powered off the MOTU box and repeated the process. I also unplugged the MIDI cable that was an output to the Tempest from the MOTU box - to ensure that I wasn't creating any MIDI loops.

I was able to repeat the behavior in the video.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
Hey blewis. Thanks for reporting what you're experiencing with your Tempest. We are aware of the behavior depicted in your video, and it's on our list of things to address with the Tempest OS.
SEQUENTIAL

blewis

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
That's great! Thanks for the quick response!

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
Hey guys, I was in the midst of posting about this on prophet5.org, but that forum is down this evening. I am seeing some stuck note behavior when using the arp feature in OS 1.4.

Here is a video showing what I am experiencing using an OS 1.4 factory patch.

Video and picture showing weird note sticking behavior in OS 1.4 using the arp.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02GWZuqDGnMNyT;9C0D7F10-8803-4BA5-BCD3-3A4452917081

OS info:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02GWZuqDGnMNyT;523845D7-D9A4-48E1-A6AB-25B0CDF254AE

Dark Chrome is available via DSI website here:

New Tempest Sound Set — v1.4

- Load Factory Project called Dark Chrome
- Go to Sounds Bank B
- Trigger some bass sounds. Notice they release just fine and don’t stick.
- Enable Roll.
- Arp set to Assign  (I have quant to 8th but it probably doesn’t matter)
- Roll some bass sounds.  Try rolling 1 bass sound first. Then maybe hold down 2 bass sounds to arpeggiate  them.
- bass notes will get stuck and you’ll have to cycle through the voices hitting other pads to get them to stop.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sorry, blewis, when my colleague and I tested this for you yesterday, we were using the arp in '16 Tunings' mode, not '16 Sounds' mode.  So we tested it again today [properly] and... Voila: hung notes!  For the record, it doesn't seem to be related to that particular factory project or sound set; we reproduced this bug using plain vanilla, initialized ADSR sounds, loaded into a newly initialized beat template.  It is, however, seemingly exclusive to bank 'B' as you've observed.

Anyway, I've reported this bug to Roger Linn directly, with steps to reproduce it; so we can be sure that it's being overseen by an objective eye at least.  Lord knows, we've heard the "it's on our list" response from DSI before (wink).

Cheers!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:53:07 PM »
John,

When we say it's on our list, it's because the bug is actually on our list.  Additionally the bug has already been fixed on an internal OS release.

Thanks!
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
I am seeing some stuck note behavior when using the arp feature in OS 1.4.
Thanks, blewis. I was able to easily reproduce it on 1.4.0, but the good news is that I can't get it to happen on the version we're currently testing. So it appears that it was fixed as a result of fixing another ADSR Roll bug. We're not quite ready to release a beta but getting closer.

blewis

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »
Big thanks all around for the info and hard work guys.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »
John,

When we say it's on our list, it's because the bug is actually on our list.  Additionally the bug has already been fixed on an internal OS release.

Thanks!
All due respect, Carson, but don't get pissy with me.  You set this precedent.  It never should have come to this in the first place.  Case in point, with a little oversight and a couple weeks due diligence, nearly all of our grievances have been addressed.  That and a little transparency, and everyone's in a better mood.  Makes sense to me.  Should have been done three years ago...

At any rate, blewis, you're welcome.  And thanks again, Roger.

Cheers!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
I'm not getting pissy with you Kal though I definitely do not appreciate the condescending tone of your reply.  I was just re-iterating that when we say it's on the list, it's because it is.  We would not lie about that.  I also wanted to confirm that the bug has already been fixed.  Hope this clears things up!

Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 04:36:59 AM »
I'm not getting pissy with you Kal though I definitely do not appreciate the condescending tone of your reply.  I was just re-iterating that when we say it's on the list, it's because it is.  We would not lie about that.  I also wanted to confirm that the bug has already been fixed.  Hope this clears things up!
My tone, however you choose to interpret it, is well merited and rarely, if ever, misdirected.  I pick my battles wisely, and my words even more carefully.  You, on the other hand, have been both flippant and dismissive in recent history, Carson, and this is the reaction.  Had you simply apologized at the outset instead of belittling our petition, and set to fixing things, this would have been an entirely different conversation.  But you didn't.  And so we, having waited literally years for some of these bugs to be fixed, despite them being "on your list", will decide for ourselves whether or not to believe you.

At any rate, I'm not here to be cordial, I'm here to hold you to your word.  We, the community, took these matters into our own hands for good reason, and if you want our trust back, you'll have to earn it.

A bug-fix is worth a thousand words.

Cheers!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 01:26:24 PM »
I only popped by to give a factual statement regarding the bug being on our list and it being fixed internally.  I have no intent to engage you in any other regard.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim