Pro 3 randomly switching to edit mode

Pro 3 randomly switching to edit mode
« on: March 24, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
Hello, I just got my new Pro 3 and it randomly switches to edit mode often when it sits idle for a while.  I was able to upgrade to the latest firmware but it still does this, and it is not always the same pot. Sometimes it is the VCA, sometimes the filter. This unit was just recently purchased and I believe it was an open box, so I need to figure out whether this is just a firmware issue or whether I may need to exchange the unit with the seller as it is under warranty. Otherwise, it works and sounds great other than this issue.

Re: Pro 3 randomly switching to edit mode
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »
Contact support to get this resolved.  Some recent Pro 3 units were built slightly too sensitive, so they can detect motion on knobs which haven't been touched.  It's pretty easy to fix, but you'll need to get some help from the support team to arrange the details.

Returning it to the store isn't recommended, because you might just exchange it for another item with the same issue.  Better to talk to support and make sure it's fixed.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »
Yes, I am contacting support. It seems to happen mainly on the filter, but I think I have seen it randomly switch to the VCA ADSR page. In the mean time I will keep a close eye on it.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »
Support has been very responsive and helpful, however, they are recommending a replacement of the main board with a $200 deposit. I just bought this synth new. Unfortunately, that means I am going to return it as defective to my retailer. Not prepared to to do major surgery and pay $200 deposit on something I have bought new with a full warranty. I will have to wait on a Pro 3 until these issues get sorted.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 06:12:28 AM »
The issues are sorted. Some boards are defective. You happened to get one. No big deal. Swap it out or return it for a different unit. Why make a big deal about it?
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »
Not swapping for an unknown with the possibility of another defective unit. The OS is also pretty buggy, had lots of odd behavior even on the latest. I'm sure it will get sorted out. It's a great synth, but at $1600 I am not taking a lemon.

chysn

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:19:36 PM »
Your position is understandable.

For others who may be in this situation in the future, the voice board is very easy to swap. It took me about a half hour, working at a slow and deliberate pace. Sequential refunded my deposit promptly. Between that and the OS update, my Pro 3 has been stable and trouble-free for a while now.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
I understand. Support was helpful and responsive. I just was not about to start self-repairing a synth I had already bought new at $1600. I will likely get another one once these issues are sorted.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »
the voice board is very easy to swap.

Yeah, the board replacement was super easy, barely an inconvenience.  Shipping the boards back and forth was an inconvenience, but worthwhile to get everything working well.

I planned on having the synth open at some point anyway, since I plan on keeping it for a long long time and I assume at some point in its life I'll have to open it up.  Plus, I really wanted to take a peek inside anyway...  So it was nice having a support-approved excuse to look inside while it's still under warranty, instead of having to wait until later.

I can definitely understand though, that people who buy nice instruments usually want it to Just Work without a screwdriver.  Not everyone wants to geek out about the innards.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
Oh I am glad I checked this thread.  I have experienced the sudden switching to edit mode.  I think I'll do this board swap. 

I would have been be a bit hesitant, but a few months ago the middle C key's aftertouch went hypersensitive on my less-than-one-year-old Subsequent 37.  It would go into max aftertouch anytime you used that key.  And since I use AT on almost all my sounds, and I use middle C pretty often too I contacted Moog.   They were also very responsive (to phone calls, not email), and sent me a replacement keyboard.  They did not require a deposit, but were adamant they get the old keyboard back.  It did require some surgery, but nothing more than screws and some cable connections. 30 minutes going slow and deliberate.  Well worth the effort.
Rev2, Pro3, OB-X8, Kronos, Summit, Hydrasynth, Subsequent37, Taurus III, Iridium, Opsix, Eurorack

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 08:53:42 PM »
Oh yea, if you have a Pro 3 you have had for a little while it is probably worth the swap. I only had mine for less than 10 days after buying new. I wasn't about to perform surgery on it even if it was "easy". Having said that, I will probably get another one here, soon. I loved the sound and workflow of that thing so much!

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »
Got another Pro 3 on the way! Hopefully this one works better. I love that little synth, I really want it to be a keeper.

SynthNerd

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 11:57:17 PM »
Bought mine brand new few days ago too, came with issues right out the box. Got a ticket now just waiting for a reply when their offices open Monday. This unit will most probably go back as it needs the main board changing because of an incorrect resistor value. Either and new unit from a non affected batch of a refund will do. I'm in England so the turn around time for me a lot longer than say someone in the states to have their issues retified.

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 03:01:04 AM »
Hopefully you will get your situation taken care of soon. I hope this is just an issue from earlier models. It's a really great synth but not if you have to repair it from new.

SynthNerd

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »
Thank you. Well it's all packed up ready to go back not sure where this road trip will take me to but I'll keep ya posted.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
Finally got a different one with a newer serial # and it is working great! Didn't even update the firmware yet as I have had no issues with the new one. Love it!

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 07:15:53 PM »
I should add that whatever problems I was having with the first unit, including what I thought were firmware bugs, seem to have been caused by the hardware problem. I have no perceptible problems on the 2nd unit with the exact same firmware!

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 07:18:25 PM »
Did you ever get your issue resolved or order a new unit?

Thank you. Well it's all packed up ready to go back not sure where this road trip will take me to but I'll keep ya posted.