Better and more Velocity Response options please :)

Better and more Velocity Response options please :)
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »
Hi guys, got the p5 rev4 and i love it.
It sounds nice, very easy to edit and super looking.

I jut miss a deeper option to tweak the velocity response, i can use it old style with no velocity for sure, but having it on board would be nice to have it better and deeper options to tweak the sensitivty like for example you can do on the Prophet 08 Rev2. I tweak the knob on the rev 2 like 1 or 2 millimeters and that's what i feel nice under the fingers. Veeeery little but distinctive is not too much but not too few :)

At the moment i can tweak a lot but sometime i found that the pianissimo is turned into silence too easly ( this happened the same also on the P6 i had for a while ).

So please Sequential guys, give us a LOT of velocity curve/sensitivity/ response ; from 000 to 006 are not enough to be super :) And this is a SUPER synth cheers
// Moog One 16v - Prophet 5 Rev 4-  DSI P08 Rev2 16v - Moog Grandmother - Korg Mono Poly - Roland Jx3p - Moog Mother 32 - Korg Minilogue - Arturia Minibrute //

Re: Better and more Velocity Response options please :)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:49:13 PM »
A great thing with the P5/10 is, to me, is the simplicity without menu diving with abundance of options, just plain raw power and beauty.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:52:53 PM »
im with you, :)

but p5 rev4 have new features that old p5 doesnt have and and it would be amazing if they works deeper as everything in this synth do.
I mean everything is 100 percent under control and is a shame that velocity control cant be tweak smoother as we do with other parameters :)

In particular, the pianissimo sometime goes silent in a innatural way.

Is subjective, lot of p5 rev4 users can't complain about velocity sensitivy and is ok. But i appreciate the velocity add, and is one of the main reason i give away a old P5 for this new :) I don't want a workstation, just a p5 with velocity working smoother than now-

Cheers, i hope they implement this, i LOVE this synth.

:)

// Moog One 16v - Prophet 5 Rev 4-  DSI P08 Rev2 16v - Moog Grandmother - Korg Mono Poly - Roland Jx3p - Moog Mother 32 - Korg Minilogue - Arturia Minibrute //

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 10:12:40 AM »
Im a novice keyboard player but ive found the P10 velocity response to be one of the best ive played, ive had most of sequentials synths and could never judge the velocity properly, P12 was impossible hated that keybed!, p6/ob6 are much better but ive found P10 keybed is super responsive and natural to play

Got to say this synth is superb, its ruined all my other synths, the sound is so full, all my modern synths now sound like the midrange is missing

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »
Who ever needs a different velocity curve might think of getting the retrokit smart midicable rk002. I‘m using it with great success with my P10 just looping it from midi in to out and turning to local off. You can load the cable with various different firmware versions. There is a version to load you own velocity curves. https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/duy/curves/

The arpeggiator firmware is my favorite.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »
I wonder why people keep supporting limited features bc of the synth’s history. It’s a very different synthesizer from the original in many respects. Adding more velocity curves would only enhance the expression from those that can use it.

I certainly would welcome it. Many times I find the pianissimo to completely erase the sound on this P10.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
I wonder why people keep supporting limited features bc of the synth’s history. It’s a very different synthesizer from the original in many respects.

Well my primary wish list item, even before buying my P10, was that a voice-limiter was added so that I could play the P10 either as the P5 was originally, or with all ten voices....

... then the update came....

...with not only the ability to limit to five voices, plus 2-voice poly unison which is just next-level, plus the ability to switch between P5-style or round-robin voice allocation... And so I kind of feel like I won the synth lottery.  I got everything I wanted from this synth and so much more, so asking for more at this point seems wrong somehow.

And I'm all too aware that all features come with some cost (even if the cost is support complexity), so sometimes less is more and I think the simplistic design philosophy of the Rev4 is part of what makes it what it is.

To give an example, I would love to have an option for a non-quantized (non-stepping) filter that is characteristic of Prophets.  But if there were a global setting that turned that off, it would cease to sound like a Prophet for many patches -- organ tones and those relying on the lovely self-resonant filter would sound a mess as the filter wouldn't track with keyboard anymore.  And many (perhaps even me) might say "I understand the consequences but would like the flexibility to opt out of filter quantization for certain scenarios".  But for every scenario I could find where the synth sounded better with stepping off, there would likely be a dozen emails send to support from customers wondering why their synth was broken when they enabled it accidentally.

I'm not discouraging new features and I totally get where you're coming from re: velocity.   I personally would like to see more aftertouch curves as well.  But I can understand the reasons behind feature limits.  Especially since once a feature is added or improved on one of Dave's products, the expectation is that feature will be added to all his products.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 02:58:52 AM »

I wonder why people keep supporting limited features bc of the synth’s history. It’s a very different synthesizer from the original in many respects. Adding more velocity curves would only enhance the expression from those that can use it.

I certainly would welcome it. Many times I find the pianissimo to completely erase the sound on this P10.

Yes this is the crucial point to me, sometimes the pianissimo erase the sound and that's a shame because is a very prganic and smooth sounding machine that guide my playing in a smooth and soft playing and having a more deeeep velocity control would be a very nice add. Anyway is a greaat synth.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 03:05:11 AM »
Who ever needs a different velocity curve might think of getting the retrokit smart midicable rk002. I‘m using it with great success with my P10 just looping it from midi in to out and turning to local off. You can load the cable with various different firmware versions. There is a version to load you own velocity curves. https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/duy/curves/

thanks, i'm not sure i understood 100percent, please tell me if i'm wrong :)
It's about to load into a "special" midi cable a velocity curve, then connect this cable to the midi out of the Prophet then to the midi in of the prophet. Then set the Prophet in "local off"? And how can i use the P5 key if in local off? Thanks a lot :)

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 04:44:29 AM »

It's about to load into a "special" midi cable a velocity curve, then connect this cable to the midi out of the Prophet then to the midi in of the prophet. Then set the Prophet in "local off"? And how can i use the P5 key if in local off? Thanks a lot :)

The cable forms a loop, you play the prophet via this loop. When set to „local off“ the keyboard still sends MIDI to the Out, via cable to the In. That‘s all.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 08:37:56 AM »

The cable forms a loop, you play the prophet via this loop. When set to „local off“ the keyboard still sends MIDI to the Out, via cable to the In. That‘s all.

Wow thanks :) i did'nt know about this kind of "cable / Interface" :)