Modular and Animoog

Modular and Animoog
« on: March 20, 2021, 11:16:31 PM »
I've been having fun with my little modular set up again, using the Morphagene from Make Noise. My discovery of the week, however is the Animoog app. I know I'm late to the party for this one, but I'm really surprised by how good it sounds and how well it has been designed to be used on a touch surface. I 'discovered' it after watching a performance by Suzanne Cianni, in which she was using a Buchla system but playing the lead line with Animoog. Crazy! So I rooted out my old phone and downloaded the app onto it. The result was this performance. The music starts at 6:19. Thanks for watching. :)

https://youtu.be/-KH8-gyEwiM
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:21:35 PM by Old Timer »

chysn

Re: Modular and Animoog
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 01:31:12 PM »
I'm also recently late to the Animoog party. The last time I had bought a new phone was during the first Obama administration, and it was well past time for an upgrade. So a couple weeks ago, I got a new iPhone with an astronomical amount of memory, and finally bought Animoog.

I've tried a lot of iPad- and iPhone-based soft synths... Nave, Kaosillator, Gadget, Garage Band, etc., but Animoog is easily the best of this class of instruments. I'd say it's the most expressive iPad synth I've seen, and I can't believe I waited so long. The scale definition on the controller easily lends itself to creating custom scales, which can be a nice source of inspiration. The synth engine is simple but sounds great. It's all really well done, and I haven't even gotten into its connectivity features yet.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: Modular and Animoog
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »
Yep, I think it's a very nice (and interesting) soft synth. One of the things I've been experimenting with is the hold function, then setting up a very slow, minimal path and orbit for the x/y pad. I've created some drones that sound really sweet... I have a couple of other apps on my phone, one from Korg that's based on the electribe drum machine which isn't really suited to a tiny phone - I can barely see the knobs and buttons. I also have a Kaoss thingy, which I didn't really gel with.

But I do like the Animoog. I actually rescued my daughter's long-abandoned iPad mini, which had a broken screen. I had the screen fixed and bought Animoog for that - it's even better when you have a bit more screen real estate to play with... :)