Prophet XL won't boot after update

Prophet XL won't boot after update
« on: March 19, 2021, 08:35:05 PM »
I recently purchased the Prophet XL from a private seller.
Originally, it had Version 1.0 and I wanted to update it to Version 2.2.
I formatted a 128gb PNY USB drive on the prophet, transfer the bin file, and updated the Prophet.
Once it updated, I got the message to restart the prophet. I turned it off then on and.... It just started flashing.
I contacted DSI support and they gave me a sysex file and to do a midi update.
I got it uploaded and the loading appears but once it fills to 100%, I get an error message.

Cannot reach audio processor. M:2.2.0.0.5, DSP: 0.0.0.0.0, FPGA: 0.0

Has anyone gone through this before or is it just my prophet?
Any solutions?

blewis

Re: Prophet XL won't boot after update
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
You need to contact Sequential support. You’re most likely going to need to put it into boot loader mode and update via MIDI DIN via SysEx.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:35 PM »
Update:
Support sent me the SysEx files version 1.1 and 2.2.
I installed them in order. The display showed the loading bar and it would freeze at 100%. Still bricked.
After installing 2.2, was instructed to connect a keyboard to the USB port in the back and press F11 at 75%-99%. Still bricked
I got curious and installed the latest 2.2.0.0.5 update and FINALLY it booted as if nothing happened.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
I recently got the audio processor missing error, which corrected after a reboot.
However then the PX locked up and would not respond to key press or panel knobs.
Support asked that I load firmware over sysex, but this didn't resolve it.
Now they suggest replacement of the CMOS battery, which I'm in the process of doing.
The old battery shows 2.9v where the new one has 3.2v (without load on either).
I'll let you know how it goes, if ok I might ask support if they would recommend people replace the battery as a preventative measure, especially if they are planning to gig.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
I recently got the audio processor missing error, which corrected after a reboot.
However then the PX locked up and would not respond to key press or panel knobs.
Support asked that I load firmware over sysex, but this didn't resolve it.
Now they suggest replacement of the CMOS battery, which I'm in the process of doing.
The old battery shows 2.9v where the new one has 3.2v (without load on either).
I'll let you know how it goes, if ok I might ask support if they would recommend people replace the battery as a preventative measure, especially if they are planning to gig.

It would seem such an insignificant thing, such a small detail that is of great importance in this case. After many tests, I noticed that with a new battery it works stably for some time without failures, but if it freezes or gets blocked once after, further it starts to freeze more and more often. And manipulating the keyboard and pressing F1 does not help either.

Considering all the comments on this topic, I would also like to add that with the last update the following began to happen to me: usually the device does not load into the menu if there was a freeze before! I connect the keyboard, I press F1, not from the first time, but in the end, I manage to launch Prophet. I see that there is access to the menu, Prophet seems to be loading as it should! Without even playing or using it, I just turn it off. And here I will forgive you to notice! Attention! Quite often, when you turn it on again, the download bar reaches the end and does not give access to the menu. This means that if earlier he behaved like this if there were freezes, now it is not necessary to  freezes to occur, it can turn on normally once, and another time the typical inscription: cannot reach audio processor ...What is it? Battery? Software? as far as I was told by technical support that this is a software problem. If so, then why during testing, when, for example, some kind of failure occurs - in theory there should be an error code and use this code to find the reason and fix it, and so on until they bring it to normal and stable work! Logical?

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 03:46:10 AM »
I'm happy to report that the new CMOS battery has resolved the problem for me.
Support said that this problem is seen for people who use the synth less often, in my case it's most weekends I use it, so certainly not every day.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 03:15:05 AM »
I'm happy to report that the new CMOS battery has resolved the problem for me.
Support said that this problem is seen for people who use the synth less often, in my case it's most weekends I use it, so certainly not every day.

I'm assuming the Clear CMOS jumper is the one just to the left of the battery?

Stephen

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 01:53:38 AM »
Hi Stephen,
I'll attempt to copy here the information I received from sequential Support.

https://p19.zdusercontent.com/attachment/138886/aon8zQ613CU9XLD4YP4C1hbTt?token=eyJhbGciOiJkaXIiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4Q0JDLUhTMjU2In0..Yi65Icgjj1oSfefMhNUudA.FLWliqb5IM0Sm_ZMKsYgEBv1pkTRx_zM3enWQI1_tbsDERQzuHZliFryOLFbK0DwJQAr5hEXQeIr10NA9aYcuEdXvkmT9v6UKBoOeTJ26OCWr4w9Crd2zBzgX7mxmEr3eYK5qyvCwfMk4QShm3ftZBvG_t7FWlfRBQdqgQdukk0n_191ZfznJk-tFegj11OAD-Gyr1seVrCq89Sp27P872rOHZwbotGWHy-04xGYkv4gYp5M0TmTywIwrNzSY5hdtPjeGggcUUryF5qO1nmyFNHKt94rT1HMMAvq0vAzhuo.9RfIKfstwk_PrGp6aDZX8w

Resetting and Replacing the Battery
1. From here, locate the motherboard towards the right side of the chassis.
2. Place the "Clear CMOS" jumper in the clear position, over pins 2 and 3. (see attached jumpers.jpg)
3. Remove the CMOS CR2032 battery.
4. Leave the system in this state for 4 hours.
5. After 4 hours, place the "Clear CMOS" jumper to its original position, over pins 1 and 2.
6. Insert a new battery into place.

Resetting the Motherboard
1. Plug a wired computer keyboard into the rear USB sample loading port.
2. Power the PX on. When the loading bar gets close to full, press F1 on the computer keyboard. If nothing happens, wait a few minutes and press F1 again.
3. After a few minutes, power the unit off and on, and see if there is any change in boot progress.

Note: some keyboards require holding a function key (Fn) to enable F1-F12.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 08:16:24 AM »
This totally gives me anxiety reading this. What an absolute headache and the fact Sequential isn’t addressing what seems to be a wide spread issue is truly disturbing.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 09:07:21 AM »
My first support ticket was opened in Feb of 2021. This very expensive synth has been sitting in its case for over a year.
I just installed yet another motherboard and it still does not function. I really love this synth, but I think Sequential should offer a recall option at this point. It's beyond unacceptable. I need this for professional work and have not been able to use it since 2020.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 04:34:01 AM »
Ta!

Hi Stephen,

https://p19.zdusercontent.com/attachment/138886/aon8zQ613CU9XLD4YP4C1hbTt?token=eyJhbGciOiJkaXIiLCJlbmMiOiJBMTI4Q0JDLUhTMjU2In0..Yi65Icgjj1oSfefMhNUudA.FLWliqb5IM0Sm_ZMKsYgEBv1pkTRx_zM3enWQI1_tbsDERQzuHZliFryOLFbK0DwJQAr5hEXQeIr10NA9aYcuEdXvkmT9v6UKBoOeTJ26OCWr4w9Crd2zBzgX7mxmEr3eYK5qyvCwfMk4QShm3ftZBvG_t7FWlfRBQdqgQdukk0n_191ZfznJk-tFegj11OAD-Gyr1seVrCq89Sp27P872rOHZwbotGWHy-04xGYkv4gYp5M0TmTywIwrNzSY5hdtPjeGggcUUryF5qO1nmyFNHKt94rT1HMMAvq0vAzhuo.9RfIKfstwk_PrGp6aDZX8w

2. Place the "Clear CMOS" jumper in the clear position, over pins 2 and 3. (see attached jumpers.jpg)
5. After 4 hours, place the "Clear CMOS" jumper to its original position, over pins 1 and 2.

2. Power the PX on. When the loading bar gets close to full, press F1 on the computer keyboard. If nothing happens, wait a few minutes and press F1 again.
3. After a few minutes, power the unit off and on, and see if there is any change in boot progress.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 06:28:22 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Does doing this wipe your PX's memory and patches?

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 01:25:49 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Does doing this wipe your PX's memory and patches?

I haven't tried it yet as my X is behaving now, but I'd always copy everything off via SYSEX and have my samples on a USB dongle before I tried any internal maintenance.

Stephen

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 01:19:45 AM »
Hi all! I want to inform you that my problem with freezing was successfully solved. The reason lay in the power supply, I replaced the power supply board and everything works fine!