pops & clicks when osc wave reset is on

pops & clicks when osc wave reset is on
« on: March 14, 2021, 07:42:42 AM »
hi all, if i switch oscillator wave reset on and use glide, i am getting pops & clicks every time i press a note but only with certain presets.

adjusting amp attack/release doesnt fix it

anyone having similar problems?

many thanks

Re: pops & clicks when osc wave reset is on
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »
hi all, if i switch oscillator wave reset on and use glide, i am getting pops & clicks every time i press a note but only with certain presets.

adjusting amp attack/release doesnt fix it

anyone having similar problems?

many thanks

What is the use case?   Usually, I would recommend to not have Wave Reset on for a glide patch... those two sound design options are sort of opposites in terms of philosophy... Glide is meant to smoothly transition a free running oscillator from one frequency to another, and wave reset defeats the free running osc.   

I mostly avoid wave reset, unless its a syncopated technical type of sound, or the lowest oscillator of a bass sound that needs consistent transient punch at fundamental.     

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 01:13:41 PM »
hi, i have wave reset switched on because i want every new note that isnt played legato to start from the same phase position.

ive been using synths since 1997 and never had any problems like this before. currently i have the novation summit & hydrasynth and they both work fine like this. the first note tails over the second note in legato mode and glides between the 2, but there is a gap between the 2nd & 3rd note, hence why i want the phase position to reset.

the pops and clicks are between the notes that are played legato.

not sure why you would think they are opposites in terms of philosophy?? this is pretty common practice

chysn

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 06:26:07 PM »
This is expected behavior, and the manual explains pretty well why it happens (p. 20). Whenever you suddenly move an oscillator to a different amplitude without moving through the levels in between, there's potential for a little "pop."
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
hi, i have wave reset switched on because i want every new note that isnt played legato to start from the same phase position.

ive been using synths since 1997 and never had any problems like this before. currently i have the novation summit & hydrasynth and they both work fine like this. the first note tails over the second note in legato mode and glides between the 2, but there is a gap between the 2nd & 3rd note, hence why i want the phase position to reset.

the pops and clicks are between the notes that are played legato.

not sure why you would think they are opposites in terms of philosophy?? this is pretty common practice

I would not normally use wave reset for glide/legato patches.  To me, the point of glide/legato sounds is to have the smoothest possible transition between notes... wave reset, by definition, defeats free-running/smooth oscillator continuance... it forces an abrupt change to the osc wave.    That is what I meant by opposite philosophy.

With the digital synths you mentioned, it's possible they are doing some digital smoothing / wave blending over period of a few ms when legato and phase reset are both active... ?  Not sure. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
To me, the point of glide/legato sounds is to have the smoothest possible transition between notes... wave reset, by definition, defeats free-running/smooth oscillator continuance... it forces an abrupt change to the osc wave.

Naively I would expect osc reset to only trigger when the envelope is restarted (i.e. on the leading edge of the gate signal).  Not necessarily on every keydown.  (The difference being legato vs. staccato playing.)

Though I suspect you would need the nonexsting-but-proposed "envelope reset" mode of the Pro 3 (there's a thread on this) to avoid clicks in the case of staccato retrigger before VCA release has completed.  If you have quick release on your patch of course this wouldn't be an issue.

Aside, note also that in 1.1.0.0, wave reset is bugged on osc 2 and doesn't do anything.  I've already chatted with customer support about this and they say it is fixed in the upcoming release.