Issue: Prophet XL stuck at boot screen (bar full)

Issue: Prophet XL stuck at boot screen (bar full)
« on: March 07, 2021, 05:39:03 PM »
Hello,

I thought I'd post this issue here, in case some of you have any suggestions for me regarding this issue. I also filed a ticket with support.

The title says it all. For more context, I use my XL as the master keyboard in my studio. Out goes to my Akai MPC 2000 XL, which is my main sequencer. I have MPC out go to the XL to sequence it, and then daisy chain more gear via the XL's THRU (Oberheim Xpander, Tempest, and others)

Everything was working fine, but today the XL is stuck at the full loading bar state... I think I've seen this happen in the recent past, but turning it off and on again fixed the issue (not anymore, evidently).

Just in case, I also tried to boot it with nothing connected to it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

PS: I have not updated the OS in at least a year. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Re: Issue: Prophet XL stuck at boot screen (bar full)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 12:04:36 PM »
Update

Brian from Support gave me some instructions to solve my issue. In case it helps anyone: plug a USB keyboard to the Sample Import port, power the X / XL, when progress hits 75% press F1 multiple times. Reboot.

In some cases, the above helped boot my XL successfully. In others, the issue remained.

Brian also sent me an OS update, which I installed.
Now it seems that my issue is resolved.

Thank you Brian and Sequential  :)

J_P_P

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »
Were you using the Official FW or the latest Beta release ?

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »
I had not updated the OS in about a year. I got the XL in Jan 2020, and I think I updated to whatever OS was on the website at the time, and left it. The version Brian just sent me is PxUpdate_V2.2.0.0.5.bin

J_P_P

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 08:36:41 AM »
That is the new Beta. i think.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »
Hi, I have the same freezes on my Prophet XL! I use abundantly own-user samples for concerts and other stuff because I focused more on a Stage Piano. Recently Sequential sent me 4 components to replace. 1) Motherboard 2) SSD 3) RAM 4) PCI Bridge.
Worked perfectly for 2 weeks - then the friezes started again.
I am already beginning to suspect that this is: 1) a factory problem. 2) Accumulative error - because if to reseat RAM in another slot Prophet will work stable for a while.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
Moin,
same here. I got a new Motherboard and SSD from Brian. I could solve the problem for a while with changing the battery (CR2032) on the motherboard. I changed the motherboard too but it wasn't able to change the SSD. After that the Prophet X worked fine for two month and yesterday it freezes again. Does anyone know an alternative to the Prophet X? 

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
Hi Prophets,
I've got the same problems, Brian sent me recharge parts, I've changed the motherboard and PX worked fine 1 months then the problem came back.
Now I'm waiting the issue to be solved, Brian wrote me "we are actively working on a solution for the crashing issue...".
I really hope so, because I'm been waiting to know something new for 2 months meanwhile the Prophet lies inside the case  :( >:(

What about you? Solved the problem?

Best

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 12:44:49 PM »
Since August 2020 I have contacted Sequential support with freezing problem. Nothing helped from what they advised to do or change inside the Prophet. Unfortunately, even replacing all new boards - Mainboard, Motherboard, RAM and SSD v2 and very last update PxUpdate_V2.2.2.0.0 which was sent to me personally - did not help! Prophet freezes. Also, can freeze when reading folders with user samples or during loading from a USB drive.

I so hoped that the freezing problems would be solved. I need a stable instrument for work. Tired of waiting since the summer of 2020. Tired morally and psychologically, without exaggeration. The irony is that I'm just in love with the sound and concept of the Prophet XL. If before buying, I dreamed about this instrument. Now the dream is that Prophet XL works without freezing)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »
It may be that they're working on an update, since nothing else has resolved the problem.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 04:28:22 AM »
It's been so long and they haven't found the cause or the solution. This is an enormous amount of time. As they say, who seeks - will find! I really hope that they are looking for a solution and not something else ...

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 12:07:13 PM »
Same problem on a Prophet X I purchased over the summer of 2021.  At first it seemed to happen only from time to time, and a reset would fix it.  Now it's 95% of boot ups.  I love this machine dearly, but I can't use it like this and my confidence is shaken about playing live with it.  : /  Please, Sequential -- let's get this fixed!

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 07:38:35 PM »
Unfortunately i'm having the same problem. I've just had the synth back from the authorised repairer, had the boards replaced, new firmware aaaaand it froze again on the load screen. I've completely given up on Sequential at this point. I can't believe they'd allow such a bug ridden product on the market. They should be offering a re-call. I had to buy a Nord Wave to replace the synth. I'm just waiting for a fix to allow me to sell it. If anyone is looking at investing in this synth, be very cautions, you may be buying and expensive brick.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 07:09:15 AM »
I do wish Sequential would at least address these things on this forum. The PX is my favorite synth of all time and I hate the fact people are having so many issues with it and Sequential has pretty much abandoned it. Just get it off your roster if you aren't going to bother with it anymore.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 11:59:48 AM »
RE: Just get it off your roster if you aren't going to bother with it anymore.

Let them first completely correct all the ailments so that it works correctly. They probably think that it was an unsuccessful attempt or a move, but we, the owners of the Prophet X, XL, definitely did not deserve this.

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 07:25:07 AM »
RE: Just get it off your roster if you aren't going to bother with it anymore.

Let them first completely correct all the ailments so that it works correctly. They probably think that it was an unsuccessful attempt or a move, but we, the owners of the Prophet X, XL, definitely did not deserve this.

If Sequential cared they would have addressed the situation by now or at the very least publicly acknowledged it.