Best way to build an ambient track with only a Pro2 and an OB6/P6?

Hi,
  maybe a strange question and a bit off topic...
I'd like to get feedback on your ways to build an ambient track with only one great mono/para synth like the Pro 2 and a poly synth like the OB6 or P6.
In many demo videos, we are getting presentations of what synths can do but it is often patch by patch.
OK, now I have my great Pro 2 and a poly. What shall I do to assemble a full track made of many sounds?

A track would be made of:
- one or more sequence(s)
- nice pad chords evolution
- synth lead
- drones
- several additional atmosphere sounds

When you only have 2 monotimbral synths, how do you proceed?
I suppose that I'm obliged to record audio in Ableton then adjust volume envelopes then play it and record other sounds also in audio and so piece by piece. Add effects and mix whole different tracks
If not on tempo or not aligned then shift in Ableton? If not well played then re-record?
And probably keep the lead synth or chords progression with live playing...

Thx in advance for your feedback!
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Re: Best way to build an ambient track with only a Pro2 and an OB6/P6?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
Yeah, without multitimbrality, you have to record track by track. You can still use MIDI though - just not simultaneously. But having the MIDI tracks makes it a bit easier to adjust things with regard to timing. In case something went wrong, you adjust the notes or automation and re-record the audio track again.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
Hi,
  maybe a strange question and a bit off topic...
I'd like to get feedback on your ways to build an ambient track with only one great mono/para synth like the Pro 2 and a poly synth like the OB6 or P6.
In many demo videos, we are getting presentations of what synths can do but it is often patch by patch.
OK, now I have my great Pro 2 and a poly. What shall I do to assemble a full track made of many sounds?

A track would be made of:
- one or more sequence(s)
- nice pad chords evolution
- synth lead
- drones
- several additional atmosphere sounds

When you only have 2 monotimbral synths, how do you proceed?
I suppose that I'm obliged to record audio in Ableton then adjust volume envelopes then play it and record other sounds also in audio and so piece by piece. Add effects and mix whole different tracks
If not on tempo or not aligned then shift in Ableton? If not well played then re-record?
And probably keep the lead synth or chords progression with live playing...

Thx in advance for your feedback!

There's a guy on the old forum who posted some nice ambient/soundscape type stuff using nothing but the DSI Mopho.   Check under "Your Music" and Mopho threads in that forum you'll see what I mean.

You are not limited with the instruments you listed if that is what you are thinking.   Please keep in mind that  Composers/Synth users like- Tomita- started off in the early 70's doing very complex compositions with using purely mono synths.  But he was equally adept with his real to real tape recorders to make that work.   As you already suggested, doing multi-track recording is probably your easiest method to accomplish your goal unless you have 4 hands ;) 

I'm not sure what sort of ambient you mean,  and there are many correct answers to your question of how to approach recording for sure.  But my advice would be that if you  are doing slow dreamy slow paced stuff, you can start off quite simple.   I don't think you'll need to do any midi synchronization, as your ear timing will likely be good enough.   Just start recording one track over the next as you hear it go by.  Get good at that approach first before.  Depending on complexity,  I may find that I may need to  rerecord an individual track sometimes 20 times till I get it to mesh right.  I think the more you do this the easier you'll find it.   Reserve your fixes found in your recording software only for stuff you cant easily fix by rerecording.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
Thanks to both of you!
It confirms what I was thinking.
I also liked what you said about Tomita!
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:28:27 AM »
You've got your sequencer to loop a bassline, and if you add some long delays to your lead/pad, you can pretty much just use the hardware. I'm having fun with a delay pedal and just my Pro 2 with some ambient stuff.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
Yep but you cannot have the Pro2 sequencer running the bass line while also using the Pro2 for a pad.
If one wants to use the same mono-timbral synth for different sounds, we are obliged to use a DAW.

An alternative (just looked at this today) would be to use a looper like Boss RC-505.
Often presented to be used as vocal beatbox but as you can loop an external instrument, you have there a probable great easy multitrack recorder with FX.
There are times when you don't want to use your PC and where you just want to tweak your synths, make music, try things and just use hardware. This looper may be one way I guess...

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 06:16:05 AM »
I hear you loud and clear re the computer. I'm trying to detach myself as much as possible as well. That looper looks like a good way to do it. One thing I recently picked up was a cheap DAW controller (i.e. hardware) which means a heap less mouse and screen time.