I bought one. I love it.

I bought one. I love it.
« on: February 23, 2021, 07:47:20 AM »
I was on the fence but then a used model at a relatively local store showed up and pushed me over. I love it. It's amazing. I don't know if it's the 90s kid in me but having samples at my disposal in a proper pro board is just fantastic. I picked up a copy of SampleRobot (which is a bloody ripoff but well implemented) and have been ripping stuff off VSTs and my other keyboards. So happy!

Anyhow that's about all. I'm very curious about the thread discussing increasing the hard drive size... but it seems like that's gone dead. Hopefully Sequential sanctions some way to do this officially. Their support team has always been cool with me opening up their synths, ripping out boards and sending them down for repair. Seems like offering a bigger drive as a user-installable package wouldn't be super out of the question!

Re: I bought one. I love it.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »
Hi Preston. I'm about a month away from pulling the trigger myself. No used ones in my area, unfortunately (Saskatoon).

I'm not quite sure how it is that one samples sounds (well, I do know how to record them) and then gets them into the Prophet X. It seems like you have it sussed so I may lean on you for your input when I'm ready to go.

BTW, I'm listening to your soundcloud music. Wonderful! I have (currently) a tune on soundcloud. One of a series produced during lockdown. Search for 13amplifiers.

Cheers,

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
Hi,

There are no sampling features on the Prophet X. You need to import existing libraries (e.g. 8DIO or the 3rd party ones here) or you can build your own to import (e.g. using Lady Gaia's PxToolKit (see sticky thread at the top of this forum).

The Prophet X is a great synth, you get that classic Prophet sound and the ability to process samples as well.

I was lucky I got mine at a bargain price that I still cannot believe. I was after a Novation Summit in late 2019, but they were so new they were hard to come by due to their popularity and were selling out as soon as anybody had stock. By chance I saw a brand mew Prophet X at £2,400. A little out of my budget, but I am worth it! :) and have not regretted it. A year later on, I now that the Summit as well. Both are fantastic synths and complement each other nicely.

Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 05:36:06 AM »
Thanks Keith! I might have something of interest for you... will send a PM :-)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »
I was on the fence but then a used model at a relatively local store showed up and pushed me over. I love it. It's amazing. I don't know if it's the 90s kid in me but having samples at my disposal in a proper pro board is just fantastic. I picked up a copy of SampleRobot (which is a bloody ripoff but well implemented) and have been ripping stuff off VSTs and my other keyboards. So happy!

Anyhow that's about all. I'm very curious about the thread discussing increasing the hard drive size... but it seems like that's gone dead. Hopefully Sequential sanctions some way to do this officially. Their support team has always been cool with me opening up their synths, ripping out boards and sending them down for repair. Seems like offering a bigger drive as a user-installable package wouldn't be super out of the question!
Hi Preston, good to hear you are enjoying the P X.

I myself have made a few attempts to workout how another SSD can be installed into the P X. The issue is that the operating system and partition/file system format is not open source. Formatting a replacement SSD is not as easy and straightforward as I was expecting it to be.

Then live happened and knocked me over into another direction.

I am very very happy with the build in samples in the P X. I kind of lost interest, mainly because my time is very limited and precious and I am very happy playing with the build in samples, 8Dio libraries and quite a few home made bits and pieces.

At the moment I am pursuing sampling and granular synthesis in Eurorack. Getting samples in and out of a Eurorack modules is a lot easier to do than on the P X. I am currently awaiting the arrival of an Instruo Abhar. When that module has arrived I will bring my sampling technique to a whole new level.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
It’s done!! I finally got my Prophet X yesterday after a protracted wait for it to be delivered to my music store. I must say, they really took their time about it.

There was a heart-stopping moment when everything froze while updating the OS but on the second try all went well.

Not much time yet to sample the built-in presets but what I have listened to is just jaw-dropping. I couldn’t be more pleased. Looking forward to many, many hours of bliss.

I would like to import some sound samples of my own at some time down the road but that will have to wait until I’m more familiar with the instrument. I’ll likely be asking the odd silly question about it here.

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 10:47:50 AM »
Congratulations, Keith!  There's something really special about the Prophet X, both the nature of the filter and the true stereo signal path.  Enjoy, and do share when you've had a chance to try importing some samples.