The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

OB-6 MPE with Ableton Live 11

OB-6 MPE with Ableton Live 11
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:03:27 AM »
NB: The big forum post about the OB-6 and MPE is here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3226.0.html

I have just today purchased Ableton Live 11 (which has MPE support) and updated the OB-6 to 1.6.6 (which also has MPE support).

I don't have a MPE external controller yet. But I want to try Ableton 11's MPE with OB-6, by drawing in the new "Note Expression" section of the MIDI Clip Editor.

However, I have to say that the attached MPE instructions with the OB-6 beta firmware is like an alien language to me. I have no idea how to setup the OB-6 for MPE, nor how to use it within Ableton.

Can someone more experienced with hardware/DAWs please explain how to get it working?

Re: OB-6 MPE with Ableton Live 11
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:20:02 AM »
I have just today purchased Ableton Live 11 (which has MPE support) and updated the OB-6 to 1.6.6 (which also has MPE support).
I'm having an issue because the Ableton 11's external instrument device with MPE support, when set to output in MPE mode, cycles through MIDI channels 2-16, whereas the OB-6 is only listening to channels 2-7 in this new MPE mode. So this has the effect of only playing 6 notes, then skipping 9 notes, then playing 6 notes, ...

Maybe Sequential can increase the number of MIDI channels that the OB-6 will listen to, or make this range adjustable? I'm not familiar with MPE enough to know if limiting to channels 2-7 is something standard, I suspect not. There seems to be many different implementations of MPE.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:48:07 PM »
Same pb here...

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:29:44 AM »
I asked the same on Lives's forum. It doesn't seems to be any workaround for now.
I hope sequential or Ableton comes to a solution soon.