Minimoog Model D

chysn

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »
Why do I feel like a little boy in a candy store every time I come across a new Minimoog video?

I know, right? I look at the budgeted bottom line of my eurorack system and think, "...Or I could have bought a Model D." In real life, I'll enjoy myself a lot more, I know that. But there's something about it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »
The Minimoog Model D I had many moons ago looked like it had gotten in a fight with a chain saw, and lost.  I think the thought of having a brand spanking new one is tantalizing.  And yikes, it sure does have "that sound."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:13:44 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
I know, right? I look at the budgeted bottom line of my eurorack system and think, "...Or I could have bought a Model D." In real life, I'll enjoy myself a lot more, I know that. But there's something about it.

Aha!  So all these years you've been a closet Model D admirer, Chysn.

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
From the videos I've seen so far, I can't really hear any advantage over the Sub 37.

Shaw

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
From the videos I've seen so far, I can't really hear any advantage over the Sub 37.
Fewer modulation options.... (?)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »

Nah, not on the Sub 37. I assume I have to check one out in person to be really able to tell the difference. They're supposed to get one at Corner Music, but I'm not sure where they are on the list.

Shaw

« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »

Nah, not on the Sub 37. I assume I have to check one out in person to be really able to tell the difference. They're supposed to get one at Corner Music, but I'm not sure where they are on the list.
I meant the Model D will have fewer modulation options than the Sub 37... Right?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
I meant the Model D will have fewer modulation options than the Sub 37... Right?

Yes, that's correct. With the exception of cross-modulation (FM) and the additional oscillator of course, the Minimoog offers way less modulation options. But I was also talking about the sound in general. It's not that I was blown away by the recent demos. It's rather like "a Moog is a Moog is a Moog is a Moog" to me. So I get that there are different shades of Moog, but a Minimoog would still have to convince me, which might only work when I check one out in person. So far, it sounds like most other current Moog offerings to me, minus PWM and oscillator sync. The only thing that seemed to me even more pronounced in the recent videos was the low frequency loss at high resonance settings.

chysn

« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
Aha!  So all these years you've been a closet Model D admirer, Chysn.

Closet Model D admirer? Sir, I'll refer you back to the very beginning of this thread. There's never been anything closet about it.

But, yeah, there's that whole aforementioned thing about its austere feature-to-megabuck ratio. I do covet its Velocity CV Out, but I'm still happy with the Little Phatty, and later this year I'll have a 904-A clone, at which point I will have achieved Peak Moog.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »
But, yeah, there's that whole aforementioned thing about its austere feature-to-megabuck ratio.
Ha!  That made me laugh out loud!

Cheers!

« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2016, 07:34:29 PM »
austere feature-to-megabuck ratio

;D ;D ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:11 PM »
Hey, sparse control panels are hard to find.  You have to pay extra to get one.  Moog is trying to simplify our lives.  ;D

« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Hey, sparse control panels are hard to find.  You have to pay extra to get one.  Moog is trying to simplify our lives.  ;D

I'll sell this one for 10 grand.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
Wait, I'm confused.  Pressing the switch to the right turns something on.  But what on earth does pressing it to the left do?  It doesn't say.  Could I get a manual for this?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 09:30:01 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2016, 09:11:21 PM »

Remove the pitch and mod wheels and make it $20k....

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »

Damn, now you've spoiled the next step.  ;)

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
Wait, I'm confused.  Pressing the switch to the right turns something on.  But what on earth does pressing it to the left do?  It doesn't say.  Could I get a manual for this?

ON = The perfect sound for your music.
Left Side = The sound of silence.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »
Same thing.  :D

Shaw

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »

Damn, now you've spoiled the next step.  ;)
I'm an innovator!

« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2016, 01:21:59 PM »
Gordon Reid's review in Sound On Sound has been released today in the August issue (amongst an OB-6 review): http://www.soundonsound.com/magazine/2016-08

Some quotes:

p r o s
• It looks like Minimoog...
• It sounds like a Minimoog...
• It IS a Minimoog...
• ...with extras!
c o n s
• Second‑hand Minimoogs just became
less valuable. (No, you’re right, that’s not a ‘con’.)
• The MIDI implementation is not as comprehensive as you might wish.
• Don’t lose the PSU — it’s not a common AC/DC converter.
s u m m a r y
It’s a Minimoog... a Minimoog with extras. Don’t be a numpty and claim that you tried one and it sounds nothing like the real thing. You might think you’ll sound knowledgeable, but you won’t, and you’ll be wrong. It’s a Minimoog with extras. What’s not to love?

There will be the doubters, of course. There will also be those who, for whatever reason, think that it sounds clever to say that they ‘played a real Minimoog in a shop once, and the new one sounds nothing like it’. Ignore them, and remember the ducks. If it looks like a Minimoog, plays like a Minimoog and sounds like a Minimoog, it’s a Minimoog. Call me a Philistine if you wish but, were I given the choice between the new Minimoog with all of its extra facilities or a heavily used and potentially unreliable vintage instrument at the current hyper‑inflated prices, I would have no hesitation whatsoever in choosing the former.