Minimoog Model D

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »
I think something like an enlarged Sub 37 would have been far preferable.  Add a third oscillator, another LFO and an envelope, stereo panning, lengthen the keyboard a bit, and who would be missing the Model D?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:56:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
Well, business-wise they went the more clever route. Without the Voyager, nothing's cannibalizing anything in their catalog now. Plus: they knew that the Model D is sought after, even though it might not be affordable. It was a safe bet. I'm honestly surprised that they waited for that long in the current synth landscape.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »
That's true about the cannibalizing, but I don't think the Model D quite fills the vacuum between the Sub 37 and Voyager XL.  That spot would be the one of greatest interest to the serious professional musician who has some disposable income, but not too much.  Instead, he or she is now left with this exercise in, or devotion to, vintage.  Most folks don't care about honoring an icon; they simply want the best modern instrument they can afford. 

There were plenty of improvements that the Voyager needed.  The touch screen could have been removed and all sorts of things added.  I think a Voyager Mk II would have been a much better idea. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:47:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:57 PM »
That's true about the cannibalizing, but I don't think the Model D quite fills the vacuum between the Sub 37 and Voyager XL.  That spot would be the one of greatest interest to the serious professional musician who has some disposable income, but not too much.  Instead, he or she is now left with this exercise in, or devotion to, vintage.  Most folks don't care about honoring an icon; they simply want the best modern instrument they can afford. 

There were plenty of improvements that the Voyager needed.  The touch screen could have been removed and all sorts of things added.  I think a Voyager Mk II would have been a much better idea.

I think people are too busy fetishizing an icon, and this is by no means related to the person Bob Moog, who did his version of an updated Minimoog anyway. The serious professional musician, who's most likely a performing musician doesn't care too much about these things. Practicability, reliability, and flexibility are the priorities here - far beyond any discussion that involves questions about whether a synth is analog or digital. The Model D would totally fail in this category without patch memory. Also, it better be rock stable with regard to tuning, because I haven't heard too many charming stories from people who actually used one back in the day. - It's not that digital and digitally controlled synths have been embraced for no reason.

My problem with all this is mainly that it's 2016 though, and they're planning to ask 3.5 grand for a mono synth that does not even have PWM or oscillator sync - two features one could have easily added. So it can sound as good as it possibly can, but those are amongst the most rudimentary features I'd like to see on any analog synth beyond $500.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 12:32:07 AM »
Well... it's not for me, but I guess everyone would have guessed that... no MIDI protocol exept notes... no SysEx, which means no editor, no storage... nope, I'm perfectly happy with my Sub37 :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »
Korg Kronos 61 $3000, old moog clone $3500.

I know which one I would buy.

chysn

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 04:36:02 AM »
My problem with all this is mainly that it's 2016 though, and they're planning to ask 3.5 grand for a mono synth that does not even have PWM

It's been a while since I've looked at a Model D panel. Lack of PWM is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure there would have been others, but that's the one that says Look Away.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 06:16:52 AM »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 06:40:32 AM »
Not only does the Minimoog lack pulse width modulation.  It also lacks a parameter than can cover the whole PW range.  (This is one reason the Minimoog is so recognizable on recordings.)  Instead, you select one of only three pulse settings - a square and two others.  These don't even include the width I most often use, which is just slightly off from a perfect square.  Nor, obviously, does it allow for manual PWM.  And then there's the three-stage envelopes.  The list of shortcomings is long.

I think Moog is capitalizing on their deceased founder a bit too much.  Listen to that video.  It's as if they've revived Bob Moog for their advertising.  This is sick. 

The re-issue will certainly revive interest and fascination towards the most iconic of all synthesizers.  But for how long could it last?  I would expect a rush of orders, but once the staunchest Moogites have filled their platter, I can't imagine the Model D will remain a big seller.  Folks will simmer down and start considering features again.

I wish they had put all the lessons learned from their last few products - especially the Sub 37 - into a substantially new design, even a Voyager Mk. II or a Model E.  And I'm glad DSI doesn't follow this modus operandi.  Even when they look back, they also look forward.

And the next re-issue will be...the Telharmonium.  Start clearing out your basements, fellas.  This baby's a big one!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:44:24 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
After more than 30 years, the Minimoog Model D returns with a pilot-production run at Moogfest 2016 in Durham, NC. Handcrafted in the Moog Pop-Up Factory, the pilot-production units built during the festival will only be available for purchase on-site in the Moog Store by Guitar Center.

Ahem…

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
I think Moog is capitalizing on their deceased founder a bit too much.  Listen to that video.  It's as if they've revived Bob Moog for their advertising.  This is sick.

There's a reason why the Bob Moog Foundation and the company Moog are not on good terms with each other.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
After more than 30 years, the Minimoog Model D returns with a pilot-production run at Moogfest 2016 in Durham, NC. Handcrafted in the Moog Pop-Up Factory, the pilot-production units built during the festival will only be available for purchase on-site in the Moog Store by Guitar Center.

Ahem…

Yes, I saw that.  It didn't seem clear whether this means only a very short production run for the Moogfest, or if it would begin at Moogfest and continue afterwards.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »

Ahem…

Yes, I saw that.  It didn't seem clear whether this means only a very short production run for the Moogfest, or if it would begin at Moogfest and continue afterwards.

Well, it's called pilot production, so I guess they'll see how it goes. I can't imagine they went this far just to produce 30 units in total. They're probably sold out by now anyway.

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 11:05:39 AM »
Here's another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvwwSOigxlg

This video could have as well been shot 30 years ago: Wow, aftertouch!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:19:16 AM by Paul Dither »

chysn

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
Well, I do like the aforementioned idea that folks are going to be dumping their Voyagers for this. That could be beneficial if the timing is right.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »
Well, I do like the aforementioned idea that folks are going to be dumping their Voyagers for this. That could be beneficial if the timing is right.

This is pure speculation though, since the Voyager is now vintage and out of production too. I would also depend on how many resissues Moog are planning to manufacture in the end.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
Velocity, adjustable after touch, CV outputs, and an added audio range LFO (in addition to the third oscillator's ability to double as one).  That allows for the coveted simultaneous vibrato and pulse width modulation.  These are major improvements.  This is not the Model D I had when I was twenty years old.  But until further notice, they'll only be available to the privileged few at Moogfest.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:33:34 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
I'll shut up for now. I only seem to annoy people today because for some reason I don't seem to be able to worship the Minimoog cult (to me: more like religion that fact based), and am unable to see how in the world this could ever be perceived as a timeless instrument.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm not venerating the thing; I'm just noting that these little improvements are actually substantial, in that they improve the infamous shortcomings of the instrument. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:21:06 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:39 PM »
I'm not venerating the thing; I'm just noting that these little improvements are actually substantial in that they improve the infamous weaknesses of the instrument.

Nah, I didn't refer to you. It's just that the whole internet seems to go bonkers about this while I don't understand. I can only see consumer fetishism, but maybe I'm too cynic for this.