Minimoog Model D

Shaw

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »
Isn't the Voyager XL still in production?  Perhaps I'm just seeing the leftovers on the websites.
Nope... Just leftover units that have yet to sell (Of which I snagged one).  :)

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/minimoog-voyagers/minimoog-voyager-xl

Wow. You have an XL?  I'm impressed.  I couldn't even dream that big!
Someone on Reverb was selling them new at a $1000 discount.  And I had been saving for one for a while.
https://reverb.com/item/4758603-moog-minimoog-voyager-xl
It was these guys... they’ve raised the price back up, but if you’re looking to snag one, you know what they are capable of doing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:59:34 PM by Shaw »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #301 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:00 AM »
I just want to see Moog do something different than a Mono synth. Yes they specialized in it for years but I just find they are sort of falling behind. Arturia is pretty much eating their lunch with their analog stuff.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
It's not as if there isn't precedent for polyphonic instruments in their past.  Moog seems fastened to their own tradition, but that tradition includes such instruments.  So, I don't think it's impossible, even though it may seem unlikely.

« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
Neither Moog nor Arturia (at least with regard to a statement that circulated before NAMM) are keen on developing a poly synth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:52:43 AM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #304 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
Neither Moog nor Arturia (at least with regard to a statement that circulated before NAMM) are keen on developing a poly synth.
That's a shame.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »
I don't know about that.  At least the combining of Slim Phatties showed some interest in polyphony.  Again, I agree it's unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible.

« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »
Well, it's not like we live in a time without analog poly synth options. From DSI there's the Mopho x4, the Rev2, the Prophet-6, and the OB-6. Then there are Korg's Volca Keys, Minilogue and Polylogue, Elektron's Analog Four, Behringer's DeepMind 6 and 12, Modal Electronic's 008, Black Corporation's Deckard's Dream and at some point their PolyKobol replica, and maybe within a year or so Behringer's UB-Xa and Shear Electronics' Relic-6 (though now planned as an 8-voice version). Beyond that, people are free to polychain Sub(sequent) 37s or second-hand Slim Phatty modules or SEMs.

Roland won't do it because they have ACB and no-one left anymore who knows anything about analog circuits, and Yamaha won't care either because they sell more motorbikes in a year than all of the above-mentioned manufacturers sell polyphonic analog synths in more than 10 years.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Oh, I'm not at all arguing for a polyphonic synthesizer from Moog.  It doesn't even interest me.  Remember?  I'm the guy who's always posting about mono synths these days.  And that's all I want from Moog - an analog monophonic synthesizer bigger than the Subsequent, but smaller than the Voyager XL.  And as for poly synths, I'm full of them!

LoboLives

« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
I think Arturia will probably come out with a Poly next year. I know they are saying "no" now but things change.

« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
Oh, I'm not at all arguing for a polyphonic synthesizer from Moog.  It doesn't even interest me.  Remember?  I'm the guy who's always posting about mono synths these days.  And that's all I want from Moog - an analog monophonic synthesizer bigger than the Subsequent, but smaller than the Voyager XL.  And as for poly synths, I'm full of them!

Oh, my remark wasn't addressed at you in particular. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I just wanted to point out that there are already some choices out there, that's all. Maybe they don't all represent what some are hoping for, but there are probably way more options out there than anybody would have thought of back in the early 2000s.

I also don't think that the analog poly synth market is really that huge. Most young musicians would have trouble to afford one, let alone one in the price region that starts at $2,000. Most live performing musicians with mostly pragmatic concerns might add exactly one for that specific purpose. Most non-professionals don't need more than one or two either, if they have the money and the time to spend. That basically only leaves studio owners (actual studios, not bedroom studios) as the majority of prospective buyers of more than 2 or 3 analog poly synths in addition to some collected vintage units.

With mono synths, things are conceptionally different. They are commonly treated as single voices with individual timbres each, just like in classical orchestral music. They also provide the opportunity to use many different colors without cluttering the whole mix as long as things are carefully arranged. And particularly these days, they've become really affordable, which makes it easier to put together a diverse sonic pallet (different sounding oscillators and filter types for example). Taken both into account, it makes more sense to own a selection of mono synths as opposed to an equally sized selection of poly synths.

« Reply #310 on: April 28, 2018, 03:02:50 AM »
Comparison to the Behringer clone https://youtu.be/pYxc8R_Qys0
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:21:41 AM by Jan Schultink »

« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »

Sounds pretty close to me, I love some of the comments saying they sound different. Some people must have magic ears.

I would still rather have the Moog though.

« Reply #312 on: May 05, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »
I’ve seen this when it first went online. The results are actually surprisingly close,if not identical.

I understand the appeal of something like the Boog Model D, instead of the real Moog Model D. Many, like me, are just enthusiasts, and many of us can’t actually afford all there is or even a single expensive synth. The Behringer recreation of the original is really very good, and I’d say no one can actually distinguish both, not only on a YouTube video, but even side by side.

The Behringer is certainly an accessible way of nailing THAT sound, maybe a tiny bit different on overdrive alone, and for the sound I’d surely recommend it, even though I haven’t messed with it yet.

The Moog reissue on the other hand, is a different thing when it comes to hardware. It has one the highest quality builds, with amazingly good keys, all the right materials in the right places, and seems to endure a lifetime. This is one I actually played and if I could, I’d leave the shop with both, it is really a marvelous feeling instrument - and it looks killer!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm