Minimoog Model D

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
Something new!

I think whenever they try that they get bitten in the arse. I have a Moog Guitar and an MP201 that prove that to me.

Actually the Murf pedal was pretty good, are they still in production?

I think that always said more about the rather conservative consumer expectation - particularly towards Moog. One can't say they didn't try to explore different areas. At least amongst some, the MP-201 became a sort of cult classic.

The MIDI Murf is unfortunately not in production anymore, but it was a pretty nifty device.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
The Moog guitar is the only polyphonic Moog I ever expect to see.

« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
The Animoog and Model 15 apps can be played polyphonically.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
You know what I mean - tangible, tactile, physical, real musical instrument.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:45:16 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
Well, particularly the iPad with its multi touch technology is all of those things by now, which makes it the preferred choice for performers who use purely software-based synths or other control apps like the Eventide H9 software for example. And one can still connect a keyboard to it or control the app with MIDI via Bluetooth if it's desired.

dsetto

« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2017, 05:07:14 PM »
Makes sense. Securing a long-term minimoog successor seems most logical.

... I believe a $3500 zone "low cost", 4-6 voice poly made from their least expensive approaches is an eventual good following step. ... And as a wild thought, years later, I could see an $8000 higher end, 6-8 voice poly for the elite & monks.

But that's baseless, and whimsical. The most likely future view is one with developments in line with existing niches. DSI in its stronghold, Moog in its, others in theirs. It's almost analogous to the car industry history.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:39:41 PM by dsetto »

LoboLives

« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »
I just don't see how Moog can keep bringing out Mono synths when they are no longer the game in town and people are bringing their own monos out at a fraction of Moog's cost. Can anyone really justify a $4000-$6000 mono synth anymore? What exactly is the selling point of that? Naw, it's time for Moog to stop loving off of it's name and show what they can bring to the table.

« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2017, 03:02:55 AM »

Only one filter though, does that make it paraphonic ;)

« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2017, 03:54:07 AM »
I just don't see how Moog can keep bringing out Mono synths when they are no longer the game in town and people are bringing their own monos out at a fraction of Moog's cost. Can anyone really justify a $4000-$6000 mono synth anymore? What exactly is the selling point of that? Naw, it's time for Moog to stop loving off of it's name and show what they can bring to the table.

There are people that want at least one polyphonic analog synth in their setup, there are people that only use digital synths for polyphonic duties, there are people that would choose a Rompler as their only synth, there are people that are of the opinion you don't hear any difference in a mix anyway and that you can do everything with plug-ins, and there are people that prefer analog mono synths for sonic as well as haptic reasons and because it fits their musical needs and the way they arrange their music in which each synth represents one voice, just like in an orchestra or choir. So there's a market for everyone.

The Minimoog isn't cheap, but there were obviously enough buyers for it, despite all those mono synths that cost a fraction. So based on empirical facts and the actual demand, there is no reason to question the price policy. Moog didn't stop the production of the Minimoog because it didn't sell or people thought it was too expensive, but because it sold too quickly so they ran out of parts much quicker than projected. In Europe for example, the Minimoog costs about 3,899 Euros (tax included), which currently is the equivalent of $4,454. According to Thomann, it still sold well enough to make it up the seller charts next to the MS-20 mini, the Sub 37, and the DeepMind 12. And I would predict that it could have stayed there for a while, even with the Behringer D or the SE-02 on the market, as those two are simply no Minimoogs. Not for object fetish reasons, but because they don't quite sound the same and don't provide the same haptic experience that defines what makes the Minimoog a complete instrument all by itself. The Behringers and Roland boutiques are designed based on a consumerist approach, while instruments like the Minimoog have been designed with aspects in mind that make sense with regard to musicality and performability.

Plus: Choosing an instrument is not only guided by purely rational principles. No-one can fully objectify what makes a certain instrument "speak" to them. It either works or doesn't. Tech specs on a sheet alone or the question about what could technically be possible with another synth are not really aspects that say anything about whether one would find a particular instrument pleasing in terms of playability and sonic quality.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:56:39 AM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2017, 06:06:52 AM »
...Choosing an instrument is not only guided by purely rational principles. No-one can fully objectify what makes a certain instrument "speak" to them. It either works or doesn't. Tech specs on a sheet alone or the question about what could technically be possible with another synth are not really aspects that say anything about whether one would find a particular instrument pleasing in terms of playability and sonic quality.
Very true. And sometimes it's just a company that to "speaks" consumers.  Moog has surely been one of those companies.  DSI another.  Put it this way, DSI could introduce their new X1 synth tomorrow, and I would spend hours reading and watching YouTube videos to see if it fits into my set-up.  All on the strength of one piece of information:  DSI released a new synth.  They make quality gear.  And they often innovate in some way or another.  That would be enough for me to invest time into considering whatever it happens to be.  #Just-no-more-of-that-DJ-crap-please. :) 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2017, 06:22:32 AM »

Moog's history with polyphony is dubious at best–the MemoryMoog range is largely a Curtis-chip monument (no Moog oscillators there); the PolyMoog was a disaster from a reliablity / serviceability perspective, and let's not bother with the Opus / MG-1 polyphony sections or their failed "White Elephant" organ attempt.

By comparison: Arp farmed out their string machine design to Eminent and SIEL (as did Sequential) and failed miserably on the Chroma; the Quadra remains an odd duck, to say the least. In the 70s, that basically left you with Oberheim 2-/4-/8-voice instruments, the Prophet-5/-10, Korg to a certain extent, and maybe Roland's Jupiter-4.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »

Only one filter though, does that make it paraphonic ;)

No, since each string has it's own envelope.  ;)

LoboLives

« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »

Moog's history with polyphony is dubious at best–the MemoryMoog range is largely a Curtis-chip monument (no Moog oscillators there); the PolyMoog was a disaster from a reliablity / serviceability perspective, and let's not bother with the Opus / MG-1 polyphony sections or their failed "White Elephant" organ attempt.

By comparison: Arp farmed out their string machine design to Eminent and SIEL (as did Sequential) and failed miserably on the Chroma; the Quadra remains an odd duck, to say the least. In the 70s, that basically left you with Oberheim 2-/4-/8-voice instruments, the Prophet-5/-10, Korg to a certain extent, and maybe Roland's Jupiter-4.

That being said I would still like to see more analog polys on the market...including a Chroma or Quadra.

Shaw

« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »
That being said I would still like to see more analog polys on the market...including a Chroma or Quadra.
Oooohhhh... a new Quadra!   Now that would SELL!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
Oooohhhh... a new Quadra!   Now that would SELL!

An analog synth with the ability to have 4 patches going at once? Darn tootin it would sell!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
Well, we know at least three Korg Quadras would sell!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:38:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
Well, we know at least three Korg Quadra's would sell!
I can't imagine someone doesn't already have this on the drawing board somewhere....

« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
I can't imagine someone doesn't already have this on the drawing board somewhere....

Ready for pickup with mini keys.

Shaw

« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

Now that hurt.