Minimoog Model D

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2017, 10:02:50 PM »
If I didn't already own a voyager and little phatty I would definitely get one!
My next Moog purchase will be Taurus.

« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

I compared the Model D to the Sub 37 though and it was immediately clear that the Minimoog's sound is just so much richer in many regards. That doesn't make the Sub 37 a bad synth. It's just that you recognize immediately that the Model D is in a completely different league - not feature-wise, but sonically. And I'd say that the TVS Pro is in that league as well.

What other monos do you think are in that league or close to it, but maybe closer to the $2k price on the used market?

One could probably put together a two-SEM unit with an inexpensive MIDI keyboard controller for around $2K new, if sourced wisely: buy two MIDI-to-CV units for less than $1K each, set one for high-note and one for low-note priority, connecting MIDI THRU on the first unit to MIDI IN on the second. Done!

I'm assuming this would be for a TVS Pro clone?  What about for a Model D equivalent for under $2k?

« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
I'm assuming this would be for a TVS Pro clone?  What about for a Model D equivalent for under $2k?

The Model D (and its reissue) just doesn't get me excited, no matter how good it sounds doing the things it does best. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't play one, or that I couldn't coax something decent out of it, but it just doesn't speak to me in the same way as an SEM.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »
I played one today at Just Music. Of course I loved it - it's been a few years since I've been around a Minimoog, and the reissue is the real deal. But I'm *happy* to report I didn't find myself selling any spare kidneys to buy one. An epic sounding machine, as we all know, but maybe I'm in the midst of some bizarre "Perhaps I have enough synths for now" moment. Still, I'm grateful this thing has been reissued.

« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »

Shaw

« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

chysn

« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
This was a rather short affair: https://www.moogmusic.com/news/final-countdown-minimoog-model-d-production-ending
Huh?  Ending?  They just got started!

Apparently they ran out of parts. They've scratched that itch, though. Nobody can ever again say that Moog didn't or can't make the Model D, because they did. 2010 me is genuinely surprised that 2016 me didn't buy one, but such are the twists and turns of life and desires.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
2010 me is genuinely surprised that 2016 me didn't buy one...
I can certainly relate to that!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
That's really annoying.  Excessively limited production runs are good only for those with plenty of disposable income, and they only torment those of us who have to plan long-term before buying an expensive instrument.  I was disposed to buy a Model D in the future, but certainly not right now.  Very disappointing.

Doesn't this beg the old question?  No Voyager, no XL, no Model D?  This opens up a huge gap in the Moog line.  What will be the main full-sized Moog synthesizer - a modular?!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:27:43 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
One thing I have learned over time is that its seldom that these short term offers are really so attractive in the future. Usually something new and better shows up within a few years or even sooner than that. Model D is pretty cool. I do get that. A very nice machine. But to me it sounds like Moog are up to something new one of these next trade shows. So I would not worry all that much. Moog have quite likely learned a lot from their recent rebuilds that their engineering department are busy exploring. When they are ready they will tell us.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

chysn

« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »
I was disposed to buy a Model D in the future, but certainly not right now.

You should have plenty of time to get a new one before the run is completely finished. You might have to do it a little faster than you planned, but new ones will be around for a while.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
Moog needs a good idea.  They seem to be stumbling around in the dark with a bit of this and a bit of that.  They need a great big new idea.

I thought the Voyager was an instrument with a lot of potential.  A Voyager Mk II would be a natural step to take now.  Add an LFO or two and get rid of the touch pad, which would free up space for five or six new parameters/features.  The Minimoog size is just so fitting for standard monophonic playing that it seems absurd not to have a instrument of that size and configuration. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:14:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
I was disposed to buy a Model D in the future, but certainly not right now.

You should have plenty of time to get a new one before the run is completely finished. You might have to do it a little faster than you planned, but new ones will be around for a while.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm determined to reconfigure my set up one of these days, if only the right instrument or two would appear.  I'm sure at least one Rev2 will be included, but I've still got my eye out for that perfect mono synth and its building blocks.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:13:03 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »
Moog actually have a very wide range of products by now. There are lots of hardware synths in the lower and mid proce range including the Minitaur, the Sub Phatty, the Sub 37 that will be followed by the Subsequent 37 now, the Mother-32, which also covers Eurorack ground and might be followed by more in that direction. Then there's the Moogerfooger and the Minifooger series the latter of which are also attracting guitarists. There are the whole super expensive modular systems on the opposite end for those who can afford it. And there are apps like the Animoog and the Model 15, which have been state-of-the-art apps in terms of the utilized technology and thanks to the involvement of Geert Bevin. That covers quite a diverse audience with buyers from all over the place.

With the discontinuation of both the Voyager (XL) and the Minimoog, they do lack something in that line though. So there's indeed place for something new in that high end mono synth category.

I feel a bit sad too, as I certainly would have preferred the option to pick up a Model D in a year or two. I expected it to be produced for at least 3-5 years. They were selling really well though (as well as hot cakes sell in this price category). So I don't think the discontinuation has anything to do with Behringer or Roland.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »
Moog actually have a very wide range of products by now. There are lots of hardware synths in the lower and mid proce range including the Minitaur, the Sub Phatty, the Sub 37 that will be followed by the Subsequent 37 now, the Mother-32, which also covers Eurorack ground and might be followed by more in that direction. Then there's the Moogerfooger and the Minifooger series the latter of which are also attracting guitarists. There are the whole super expensive modular systems on the opposite end for those who can afford it. And there are apps like the Animoog and the Model 15, which have been state-of-the-art apps in terms of the utilized technology and thanks to the involvement of Geert Bevin. That covers quite a diverse audience with buyers from all over the place.

That's my point.  From the little Sub/Subsequent 37 up to the giant modular is a gigantic leap.  There's plenty on the lowest rung, a bit on the highest rung, and nothing in between.  This may amount to a wide range of products, but it lacks a reasonably-priced professional-sized instrument; i.e. a Minimoog.  This is the very range that I'm looking for in a mono synth.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:24:15 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2017, 04:22:53 PM »
They were selling really well though (as well as hot cakes sell in this price category). So I don't think the discontinuation has anything to do with Behringer or Roland.

I wonder if the Matrixbrute had anything to do with it.

« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
I think no competitor's product had a particular influence. Everybody who always wanted a Minimoog had the chance to get one, and that's what happened - pretty successfully, as the Minimoog was high in the charts of retailers like Sweetwater or Thomann. It was a bestseller regardless of its price.

It's simply not the synth you buy by comparison with other products. It's a proven instrument in and by itself; features become secondary from that POV. That's why neither a Behringer clone nor a Roland clone of an "inspired by…" instrument could seriously do any harm to the Minimoog. Even if the latter two sounded identical, which they don't, they would still miss all the other aspects that make the Minimoog a complete instrument. After all, no-one bought the Minimoog for its sound engine alone - neither in the 1970s nor now. The MatrixBrute is just another different instrument that looks, sounds, and feels different altogether. It's rather like the all-analog cousin of the Pro 2, but not really closely related to the Minimoog.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2017, 04:52:40 PM »
The MatrixBrute is just another different instrument that looks, sounds, and feels different altogether. It's rather like the all-analog cousin of the Pro 2, but not really closely related to the Minimoog.

Although the appearances are somewhat deceiving in this case, I'd say you're otherwise right about that.  The Matrixbrute has a completely different sound from the Model D, and not in a good way, in my opinion.  But it's impossible to see the one and not think of the other. 

After many years, I've still got a soft spot for that old Moog. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:55:31 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2017, 06:34:33 PM »
It's interesting to look back at the beginning of this thread. It seems that we were mostly skeptical based on features and price and the unfavorable ratio thereof. For me, lack of PWM was a "deal breaker," and a year later, I've spent pretty-much-exactly Model D money on a system without PWM and I've never missed it. And that damn guy who owed me money a year ago still hasn't paid me.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
It's true, the lack of PWM on the Model D could be a deal-breaker.  But if you've got other synthesizers that have PWM, it's not such a problem.  Plus, the minor improvements made to this rendition of the Minimoog - especially the second LFO - made it even better than the original, which is saying a lot.  It was a very attractive instrument.

These disappointments repeatedly make me wish DSI would solve the problem once and for all by creating an all-new VCO mono synth (And don't tell me it's unrealistic for this reason and that reason; I'm dreaming, okay?).  No, not a Toraiz with a keyboard, nor a Prophet 6 in mono mode, but a new design, unrelated to the other DSI pieces, but still with classic DSI architecture and warm chunky voltage controlled oscillators.  THE big mono synth of mono synths to clean the clocks of all others.

Otherwise, I vote for the Rev2 as the mono synth of the year.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:20:51 PM by Sacred Synthesis »