Minimoog Model D

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2016, 02:39:06 PM »
https://ask.audio/articles/moog-music-about-to-announce-minimoog-model-d-reissue-

So who's getting one?

I got a Minimoog Model D about a month ago. It sounds fantastic, and really sounds great alongside my beloved prophet 6 and OB6. My daughter loves it too (see the pic I attached - all three synths are in it). 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »

I compared the Model D to the Sub 37 though and it was immediately clear that the Minimoog's sound is just so much richer in many regards. That doesn't make the Sub 37 a bad synth. It's just that you recognize immediately that the Model D is in a completely different league - not feature-wise, but sonically. And I'd say that the TVS Pro is in that league as well.

What other monos do you think are in that league or close to it, but maybe closer to the $2k price on the used market?

The only other worthy synthesizer I can think of is the MFB Dominion 1.  Unfortunately, it's not available in the US.

« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
The only other worthy synthesizer I can think of is the MFB Dominion 1.  Unfortunately, it's not available in the US.

There are no official retailers, yes. But it can be ordered directly from MFB. One just has to get in touch with them: m.f.b@t-online.de

« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2016, 05:22:15 AM »
Hey, sparse control panels are hard to find.  You have to pay extra to get one.  Moog is trying to simplify our lives.  ;D

This is soooo true!  And it's surprising how much variety you can get with just a few parameters. That's a huge plus with the Minimoog, and also with the Prophet 6 and OB6.  However, I am also a fan of complicated digital software synths...I frequently use Bazille, Crusher-x and other digital 'monsters'.  But I tend to get started on pieces with analog outboard stuff and find inspiration by tweaking knobs on uncluttered interfaces...

dslsynth

« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
My daughter loves it too (see the pic I attached - all three synths are in it).

;) . o O ( cute )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
My daughter loves it too (see the pic I attached - all three synths are in it).

;) . o O ( cute )

Thank you!

« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2016, 10:05:16 AM »
https://ask.audio/articles/moog-music-about-to-announce-minimoog-model-d-reissue-

So who's getting one?

I got a Minimoog Model D about a month ago. It sounds fantastic, and really sounds great alongside my beloved prophet 6 and OB6. My daughter loves it too (see the pic I attached - all three synths are in it).

Teaching them early is always a good thing!  ;)

« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2016, 10:28:09 AM »

So who's getting one?

Indeed! I try to take my little ones to my studio as often as I can...they love it. The Moog and DSI synths are great because they can twist the knobs and hear the changes immediately.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »

So who's getting one?

Just make sure she does her scales and arpeggios and lots of music theory.

« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »

So who's getting one?

Just make sure she does her scales and arpeggios and lots of music theory.

For sure!

« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2016, 05:51:10 AM »
The Minimoog Model D is now in stock at the Tel Aviv dealer, and I got one. Here are my observations so far (in random order).

I tried using VST versions of the Minimoog with all kind of different MIDI controllers but failed to get the workflow right. There is something magical about these super solid switches and knobs.

The instrument encourages to play solo lines and play around with pitch and mod wheels. Yes of course that is what you do on a monophonic synth, but there is something more. The feel of the keyboard, don't know.

The naked Moog oscillators and filters have a lot more "grit" than the DSI ones (Obviously a full DSI patch sounds great). It is really a synth with a radically different character to my P6 (part of the reason I got it). It is very easy to make patches for outrageous bass lines, but my real interest is in creating the less obvious lead sounds.

Spoiled by digital effects, the synth can sound a bit "dry" on its own, so I often find myself cheating and adding a bit of my Eventide H9 reverb or delay or chorus to the signal in the same way that I use P6 effects to round off patches

Somehow, the Moog does not sound that great on headphones. Running the synth through a basic HiFi amp, and then in headphones gives a much better, warmer sound.

The added features are great: running MIDI patterns through it, after touch, velocity sensitivity, LFO.

This is not your synth #1, anyone reading this forum and wondering what their first entry into analogy synthesis should be should go for a polyphonic instrument with proper presets etc. etc.

But as synth #2, a great instrument, it plays well, and looks beautiful in a boxy way.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:45:13 AM by Jan Schultink »

« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2016, 06:05:40 AM »
Congratulations, Jan! And a very well-put overview.

I agree on the raw sound of the oscillators. Retrospectively, it's a bit of a joke that Moog called their Sub Phatty/Sub 37 the most gritty instruments in their line-up. The Minimoog laughs about that grittiness.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
Spoiled by digital effects, the synth can sound a bit "dry" on its own, so I often find myself cheating and adding a bit of my Eventide H9 reverb or delay or chorus to the signal in the same way that I use P6 effects to round off patches

Congratulations on the new Minimoog.  I found your observation to be the case with the Voyager as well.  It was difficult to make it blend into a mix.  I don't know if this is simply a characteristic of every old school analog instrument.  I found the Dave Smith instruments to blend in very easily and very well.  That's one reason I so enjoy working with them.  But my Voyager Old School would stick out like a sore thumb. 

« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2016, 11:44:41 PM »
My Japanese hero sets the bar for where I should take this thing to:

« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
My Japanese hero sets the bar for where I should take this thing to:

He always does my favourite Synth demos on the whole of the net. Very tasteful player too.

LoboLives

« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
While I would never pay that much for a Monosynth with practically no features or memory I do appreciate Moog bringing it back. I just wish they could just try something a bit different...perhaps more polyphony? perhaps a mini modular system which buyers can customize (much like Synthesizers.com).

I dunno my Sub 37 is more than enough Moog for me...especially in the Mono/Duophonic department...I would just like to see a bit more variety from Moog is all.

« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2016, 07:52:01 AM »
I love my reissue.  I think it plays well with the P6.  I've heard some folks complain that it can take over a mix.  I only find that it seems to find its place on its own with very little help required.   ;D

It just kind of steps out and says "Hi, I'm a minimoog" and leaves you with goosebumps!

https://soundcloud.com/prophet08/clouds-of-earth
Sequential P6; SCI Pro-One; Moog Minimoog Model D

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
I love my reissue.  I think it plays well with the P6.  I've heard some folks complain that it can take over a mix.  I only find that it seems to find its place on its own with very little help required.   ;D

It just kind of steps out and says "Hi, I'm a minimoog" and leaves you with goosebumps!

https://soundcloud.com/prophet08/clouds-of-earth

Nice one! I would be quite curious to check out the interplay between a Minimoog and a Prophet-6 too. How much do you have to restrict the Minimoog when it plays with others?

« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
Oh, and here's one more:

« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2016, 11:03:25 PM »
Oh, and here's one more:

With some help of an Eventide box :-)