Minimoog Model D

Re: Minimoog Model D
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »
What is the dissertation about Paul?

You really wanna know?  ;D

The English title is going to be "Land Surveys: Rolf Dieter Brinkmann's and Einar Schleef's Mise en Place on the Stage of the 20th Century." Rolf Dieter Brinkmann and Einar Schleef are two German authors - one from the West, the other one from the East. Brinkmann was amongst the first, who translated American beat literature into German, he made text collages, wrote poems, novels, and also did audio-visual collages. Schleef was a painter, stage designer, director, writer, and photographer. What both have in common is a unique approach in dealing with questions related to places - questions that literally haunt their works.

How is that specifically related to land surveying? - Well, in the German tradition (I'm talking about early narratives, i.e. the aural history of sages), the land surveyor is a character that always appears as a ghost. It used to be a person that measured wrongly in his lifetime - either on purpose or by accident - and subsequently ends up being cursed to reappear as a ghost that will have to return to the landmark he put into the wrong place as long as a living being puts it into the right place. So this fellow - the haunting and haunted land surveyor - is kind of the mascot of my dissertation.

On a wider scale, my dissertation is a modular writing project about why measuring (in the widest conceptual sense, but also in the sense of land surveying) makes uncanny (in the Freudian sense of not-at-homeness) and how the question of dwelling is related to hauntology (yes, again spooky things). The inquiry arises from the question of how the works of the above-mentioned artists can be read as mutations of the perception of those spatial shifts that occured over the course of the 20th century, which in turn have been affected by the first total mobilization (the introduction of the Man Machine in WW I) and the birth of Fordism (both coincidently happens in 1914), up until the total dissolution of boundaries that arose due to late capitalism and never ending wars (the main assumption here is that space is always already produced and that the war of 1914 basically never ended until today with regard to the phenotypes it introduced). So the theoretical background is quite wide and covers History, Sociology, Philosophy, and Economy to name a few POVs. Hence it's going to be a big book.

I had to read that a couple of times!

It sounds very interesting, how long have you been working on it?

« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:48 AM »
Sounds like a Sein und Raum exercise!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Shaw

« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2016, 05:16:39 AM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »
It sounds very interesting, how long have you been working on it?

Technically, the last five years. But the personal reasons to work about this go back much further.

« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Sounds like a Sein und Raum exercise!

Yay and nay. I'm certainly talking about ontological consequences, but I'm not so much interested in the concept of "space," which is basically only the outcome of metaphysics and idealism. I'm only interested in place and concrete sites. Spatiality is only interesting to me in a rather materialistic and phenomenological sense, not as an abstract or mathematical category, which is too limiting. After all, the whole project is more or less going to be about displacement, and how we are always already displaced, or that every territory is always already a product of a re- and deterritorialization, meaning that there's neither an origin nor any innocent place, and always an unavoidable accident involved in measuring.

chysn

« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
how we are always already displaced, or that every territory is always already a product of a re- and deterritorialization, meaning that there's neither an origin nor any innocent place, and always an unavoidable accident involved in measuring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efmti4Hya4k&t=1m12s
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »

« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
New video for players: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfq1C76OXY

From the same author:
If you were on the fence about buying one of these because you hadn't heard any actual musical sounds being created on it, maybe this will help!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »

From the same author:
If you were on the fence about buying one of these because you hadn't heard any actual musical sounds being created on it, maybe this will help!

I guess the only thing people are on the fence about is the price. After all, many synth enthusiasts ususally have a pretty good idea about what the Minimoog sounds like.

« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2016, 12:46:42 AM »

I'd rather have his talent than his Minimoog!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »
I'd much rather have his Minimoog!

« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2016, 01:41:09 PM »

I saw that coming.  ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2016, 02:14:34 PM »

I saw that coming.  ;)

Alas, it's difficult being so predictable.

Shaw

« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »

Anyone care to share their thoughts on a comparison between the Model D and an Oberheim Two Voice?  As always, curious to hear your thoughts.

.... should I start a new thread for this?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2016, 02:33:03 PM »

Anyone care to share their thoughts on a comparison between the Model D and an Oberheim Two Voice?  As always, curious to hear your thoughts.

.... should I start a new thread for this?

I didn't compare them side by side, which would be pointless anyway. Personally, the TVS Pro blew me away a bit more. But I also give the fact credit that this is simply because it is or has been less ubiquitous.

I compared the Model D to the Sub 37 though and it was immediately clear that the Minimoog's sound is just so much richer in many regards. That doesn't make the Sub 37 a bad synth. It's just that you recognize immediately that the Model D is in a completely different league - not feature-wise, but sonically. And I'd say that the TVS Pro is in that league as well.

So, if someone has the cash for the ultimate classic mono (duo) synth couple, it's imperative to get both.

They are perfect complementary synths, so the decision for just one of them is simply dependent on what characteristics you prefer. You can't use one as a supplement for the other.

« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »

I compared the Model D to the Sub 37 though and it was immediately clear that the Minimoog's sound is just so much richer in many regards. That doesn't make the Sub 37 a bad synth. It's just that you recognize immediately that the Model D is in a completely different league - not feature-wise, but sonically. And I'd say that the TVS Pro is in that league as well.

What other monos do you think are in that league or close to it, but maybe closer to the $2k price on the used market?

« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2016, 04:26:23 PM »

What other monos do you think are in that league or close to it, but maybe closer to the $2k price on the used market?

One could probably put together a two-SEM unit with an inexpensive MIDI keyboard controller for around $2K new, if sourced wisely: buy two MIDI-to-CV units for less than $1K each, set one for high-note and one for low-note priority, connecting MIDI THRU on the first unit to MIDI IN on the second. Done!

« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »

Apart from the alternative mentioned by DavidDever, I'd say: none.

The Dreadbox Murmux V2 is the only contender that I can think of in the price range you have in mind, but it was only limited to 50 units so that's that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:58:32 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2016, 06:25:35 PM »
Is there a Eurorack module that could serve to add an arpeggiator to the Oberheim TVP?

Thanks,

chysn

« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2016, 11:12:10 PM »
Is there a Eurorack module that could serve to add an arpeggiator to the Oberheim TVP?

As you might imagine, there are lots of ways to go about it, depending on your needs.

(1) You could buy a dedicated arpeggiator module. Blue Lantern makes an inexpensive one, and there's an arpeggiator built into Pittsburgh Modular's current MIDI interface. Or you could spend a lot for a Flame Arpeggiator, but they're hard to get in the U.S.

(2) Or you could take a more modular approach and combine an LFO and attenuator with a good quantizer, like the Intellijel µScale II, which lets you make custom scales.

(3) Or you could get a sequencer with a built-in quantizer (see the Qu-Bit Octone, which I used to have and can vouch for its awesomeness), dial up arpeggios, and use a unity mixer to transpose the pattern.

(4) Or you could combine a non-quantized sequencer with a separate quantizer. René would be a great choice here, but there are zillions of less expensive choices. This is similar to (2), but allows you to get by with a cheaper quantizer. As with (3), you can transpose with a unity mixer.

(5) MiniBrute!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:19:34 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his