X-mod vs more modulators

X-mod vs more modulators
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:55:40 PM »
There's something I don't understand about the X-Mod concept (...or Poly Mod in the P6). People talk about how great it is, how much one can do with it, but I think of X-Mod as an inferior band-aid covering the fact that there isn't a per-voice/polyphonic LFO or an additional envelope. That's certainly the origin of Poly Mod in the original Prophet 5--per-voice modulation that was rare at the time but that we've taken for granted for 20 years or so. Wouldn't it be better to have another envelope or a polyphonic LFO rather than having to sacrifice VCO 2 to achieve the same thing? As long as a polyphonic LFO goes into audio-range frequencies, is there anything it can't do that VCO 2 in X-Mod can? Am I missing something? It's not a rhetorical question. Thanks!

Re: X-mod vs more modulators
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »
There's something I don't understand about the X-Mod concept (...or Poly Mod in the P6). People talk about how great it is, how much one can do with it, but I think of X-Mod as an inferior band-aid covering the fact that there isn't a per-voice/polyphonic LFO or an additional envelope. That's certainly the origin of Poly Mod in the original Prophet 5--per-voice modulation that was rare at the time but that we've taken for granted for 20 years or so. Wouldn't it be better to have another envelope or a polyphonic LFO rather than having to sacrifice VCO 2 to achieve the same thing? As long as a polyphonic LFO goes into audio-range frequencies, is there anything it can't do that VCO 2 in X-Mod can? Am I missing something? It's not a rhetorical question. Thanks!

Think about it.....is there an lfo out there where you can adjust the duty cycle of it's square shape or have any of the options on the variable shape of the lfo like you can on the OB-6/P6....then be able to modulate the frequency and pulse width of the xmod/vco2 lfo with the global lfo....pretty damn cool and much can be assignable to the aftertouch...forget even audio ranges...the xmod vco is in ranges that are very very fast compared to your standard lfo.  It's easy to take for granted how powerful xmod can be when you first get the synth, but it's capable of delivering some awesome sounds....

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks. I'm on the brink of buying an OB-6 and am trying to understand it. I'm buying it for classic-type sounds, and I've always thought that a polyphonic LFO or two and an additional envelope would be preferable to the ability to make additional FM-ish sounds. I recognize, though, that I'm not speaking on this matter from experience. I look forward to getting to know the OB-6.

MPM

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:00:58 PM »
Once you play it, the last thing you'll care about is it's limitations.
There's a module out there that adds another 3 LFOs and an envelope (I think). It's floating around here somewhere and on YT.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

pfrf

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
I keep thinking I'll buy the Low Frequency Expander for the OB-6 but then I play the synth and program it and wonder if I really need an expander after all.  Any limitations that might be bothersome on the OB-6 are overcome with the LFE, it even shows patch names.  It really is awesome.
Ok, now I want one again.
I don't believe there is an official site for it, here is a relevant thread from GS:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1323408-low-frequency-expander-ob-6-p6-new-thread.html

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
LFE is largely word of mouth and managed via their Facebook profile (Yorick Tech), from there you get his email and can talk sales. Keep in mind he's in the UK
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

Micky

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:10:58 AM »
" Wouldn't it be better to have another envelope or a polyphonic LFO rather than having to sacrifice VCO 2 to achieve the same thing? "
No ! The limitations of this synths ( P6, P5/10 also) are part of their magic.
Use everything : Pressure, Wheel, Pedals (!) and knobs and the X-mod gives you all, no other synth can do.
First i looked to the LFE-Expander to... but for me, there´s no need for.
The simplificity (right word, i´m from German?), directness and limitation same necessary  for this synths like their sound himself...

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 02:26:56 PM »
Just wanted to share my new sound bank for the OB-6 to this thread, which exclusively uses X-Mod on all the patches. A per-voice LFO can't go into super high ranges, which is necessary for many of these sounds, besides being able to morph smoothly between the wave shapes as well. Hope these show that even with this "simple" architecture you can get mind-blowing results.

https://youtu.be/u3HXr8YAnOE

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 02:41:46 AM »
Yorick Tech has a web site:
https://www.yoricktech.co.uk/
There are two LFEs left in the current batch for delivery in about 1 week, then none more for a loooooong time!

Don't forget the 3 LFOs, envelope and mod sequencer in theLFE are polyphonic with the OB6 and P6 because they use MPE to control each voice independently ;-)
Steve
Yorick Tech Ltd.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 10:02:10 AM »
sharuzm,  the bank speaks for itself. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 10:57:52 AM »
Yorick Tech has a web site:
https://www.yoricktech.co.uk/
There are two LFEs left in the current batch for delivery in about 1 week, then none more for a loooooong time!

Don't forget the 3 LFOs, envelope and mod sequencer in theLFE are polyphonic with the OB6 and P6 because they use MPE to control each voice independently ;-)
Steve
Yorick Tech Ltd.

Dont forget.. The LFEs envelope is a complex one (attach, level, time, level, decay, sustain, decay).  The 3rd LFO can be a step LFO and theres an arp as well.

There are delays and a fade in time on the LFOs too which opens up sound design... and hes looking into a suggestion to have a "Sustain" time/repeats and decay as well - so you can auto fade in, then run for a period then out again on LFOs...