The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

X-mod vs more modulators

X-mod vs more modulators
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:55:40 PM »
There's something I don't understand about the X-Mod concept (...or Poly Mod in the P6). People talk about how great it is, how much one can do with it, but I think of X-Mod as an inferior band-aid covering the fact that there isn't a per-voice/polyphonic LFO or an additional envelope. That's certainly the origin of Poly Mod in the original Prophet 5--per-voice modulation that was rare at the time but that we've taken for granted for 20 years or so. Wouldn't it be better to have another envelope or a polyphonic LFO rather than having to sacrifice VCO 2 to achieve the same thing? As long as a polyphonic LFO goes into audio-range frequencies, is there anything it can't do that VCO 2 in X-Mod can? Am I missing something? It's not a rhetorical question. Thanks!

Re: X-mod vs more modulators
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »
There's something I don't understand about the X-Mod concept (...or Poly Mod in the P6). People talk about how great it is, how much one can do with it, but I think of X-Mod as an inferior band-aid covering the fact that there isn't a per-voice/polyphonic LFO or an additional envelope. That's certainly the origin of Poly Mod in the original Prophet 5--per-voice modulation that was rare at the time but that we've taken for granted for 20 years or so. Wouldn't it be better to have another envelope or a polyphonic LFO rather than having to sacrifice VCO 2 to achieve the same thing? As long as a polyphonic LFO goes into audio-range frequencies, is there anything it can't do that VCO 2 in X-Mod can? Am I missing something? It's not a rhetorical question. Thanks!

Think about it.....is there an lfo out there where you can adjust the duty cycle of it's square shape or have any of the options on the variable shape of the lfo like you can on the OB-6/P6....then be able to modulate the frequency and pulse width of the xmod/vco2 lfo with the global lfo....pretty damn cool and much can be assignable to the aftertouch...forget even audio ranges...the xmod vco is in ranges that are very very fast compared to your standard lfo.  It's easy to take for granted how powerful xmod can be when you first get the synth, but it's capable of delivering some awesome sounds....

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks. I'm on the brink of buying an OB-6 and am trying to understand it. I'm buying it for classic-type sounds, and I've always thought that a polyphonic LFO or two and an additional envelope would be preferable to the ability to make additional FM-ish sounds. I recognize, though, that I'm not speaking on this matter from experience. I look forward to getting to know the OB-6.

MPM

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:00:58 PM »
Once you play it, the last thing you'll care about is it's limitations.
There's a module out there that adds another 3 LFOs and an envelope (I think). It's floating around here somewhere and on YT.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids