X ternal LFO?

X ternal LFO?
« on: February 19, 2021, 02:58:36 PM »
there was something mentioned on another thread about using an external LFO with the Rev 2. How would I set this up, and what are some good recommendations for external LFOs? I'm looking for something that has sine and sample and hold options.

Re: X ternal LFO?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
there was something mentioned on another thread about using an external LFO with the Rev 2. How would I set this up, and what are some good recommendations for external LFOs? I'm looking for something that has sine and sample and hold options.

I'm guessing it was probably an external box created for OB-6 or Prophet 6 (since they only have 1 LFO)   

The Rev 2 already has 4 LFOs, which should be sufficient for 99% of sound design scenarios...  though I'm far from one to say I wouldn't use a couple extra LFOs occasionally ;)    The Rev 2 does have Sample and Hold / Random already.   It doesn't have a sine, but triangle is very similar.

I guess an external box could potentially give the Rev 2 a mono/global LFO version rather than the polyphonic though.. so that might be useful.   It would be awesome if the Rev2 LFOs just had a menu switch between poly/mono modes. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 03:07:28 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

jok3r

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
There are potentially two ways to add external LFOs/modulators:

1. Use midi CCs from external hardware like the before mentioned boxes or your DAW (there are a lot of plugins out there doing such things)

2. Use the CV input options of the Rev2 to connect external gear. The voltage of the signals must be configured right to work properly. Basically it works the same way as using an expression pedal.

I guess 50% out of the above mentioned 1% that the internal LFOs can't do, could be solved by adding the option to make the internal LFOs gobal. 49% could be solved by adding slew and phase options. The remaining 1% is reserved for further splitting up for the more esoteric needs  ;D
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 03:41:01 PM »
There are potentially two ways to add external LFOs/modulators:

1. Use midi CCs from external hardware like the before mentioned boxes or your DAW (there are a lot of plugins out there doing such things)

2. Use the CV input options of the Rev2 to connect external gear. The voltage of the signals must be configured right to work properly. Basically it works the same way as using an expression pedal.

I guess 50% out of the above mentioned 1% that the internal LFOs can't do, could be solved by adding the option to make the internal LFOs gobal. 49% could be solved by adding slew and phase options. The remaining 1% is reserved for further splitting up for the more esoteric needs  ;D

Doh... not fraction division!  Anybody got a calculator?

You're right that Slew and Phase would be useful too.  I use those on Pro 3 all the time... slightly slewed square/s+h makes it more usable for modulating cutoff without pops, and slewed triangle is essentially a sine.       

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »

I just noticed the other day that my Nord Lead 3 automatically makes LFOs global ("mono"phonic, in Nord parlance) when you clock sync them and have key sync off. This would be a brilliant way to do the same thing on the Rev2 without adding UI complexity. Of course, you'd have to be happy with clock synched LFOs, but it's one way to get 25.48% of that 50% of that 1% ;)
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »
The mono/global thing is exactly why I need an external LFO. There is absolutely no way on the Rev 2 to get a global S&H even when you do all the known tricks to sync the per voice LFOs. I can't model some famous Oberheim sounds without a global S&H, Like the sound at the end of Mr. Roboto by Styx. is there a box I can get that connects to the CV Jack on the Rev 2? if there is, how do I set the Rev 2 up so that the box works with it?

jok3r

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 12:06:12 AM »
I guess any Eurorack LFO module would do the trick if you get it to work in the right voltage range. I don't know the specifications of that since I don't own any modular gear myself. Perhaps some modular users can chime in and help you with that.

I don't know if there is a LFO module out there that has preset memory, because you would not want to tune in your lfo rates for every song you use it separately. So if it has to be a hardware device I would look into the (Yorick Techs?) Low Frequency Expander (LFE) that was initially build for the OB-6. It has a mode that works with any midi-CC-able synth. It gives you a lot more than just an LFO and it has patch storage. I think you have to pre-order it per Facebook. Perhaps some owners of that device could tell you something about it.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 06:48:23 AM »
thanks for the recommendation. my MIDI In Jack is already in use, so I might have to get a thru box so that I could have both my other keyboard and the low frequency expander connected. I would only need the low frequency expander for a few songs. The low frequency expander or something like it would probably be my best option because I would like to have some patch memory. if I have enough money in the spring I might bite the bullet and get an OB6 but it's good to know that there are other options out there. Thanks.

panic

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 01:38:42 AM »
I recently bought an elektron analog 4 mk1 with the intention of using it as a CV utility box (to control a bunch of moogerfoogers). The current second hand prices justified buying it just for this (though I haven't even gotten around to using it as such, it is very much fun on its own).