Recording Midi & Audio Concurrently in Logic Pro

Recording Midi & Audio Concurrently in Logic Pro
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:12:55 AM »
I'm very new to music in general, but have been very busy making music since Dec 2014... but far from new to computers. Just a heads up so we know where I stand ... :)

I switched to Mac last summer... and discovered Logic Pro... I had a lot of difficulty working in other DAWs... the workflow just didn't quite make sense to me personally... In addition to my new Prophet 12, I have a Novation Ultranova...

First, I will say that for some reason, CORE audio is not 'listing' my Prophet 12, but Logic is recognizing it if I attempt to record MIDI...

I would like to be able to record BOTH MIDI as well as Audio into Logic Pro... My piano playing isn't 'so great' So, with that; If I am 'off' a note or three, or would like to make alterations to my recording. I would like the option to simply entering the piano roll and make any necessary changes.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Re: Recording Midi & Audio Concurrently in Logic Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »
Hi There,

Maybe I misunderstand but are you trying to record audio over the USB or by connecting the audio outs to an audio interface connected to your Mac?

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
I am trying to record audio via USB to Midi as well as the outputs to my Clarett concurrently... So, essentially in Logic, i should see two tracks... One Audio... And one Midi... If i alter the midi, the audio should adjust accordingly...

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »
If you are recording the audio from the P12 via the clarett and the midi from the P12 via its USB then everything should work fine.

When you edit the midi with logic then you need to play that back to the P12 and re-record the audio.

Where are you having a problem?

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
Unfortunately what 'should' and 'what is' are two different things... As i said, I am not even seeing the P12 listed in Core Audio...

I also just had a new discovery... I attempted to upgrade the P12 OS from 1.3 to 1.4... Which also did not work... The librarian sees the device... It suggests it is communicating with it for the upgrade, but nothing is happening on the P12 per the documentation or visually. I attempted this a couple of times. Shutdown, reboot, diff cable...

So, perhaps there is a way to reset core audio? Perhaps that alone will clear a few issues?

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
Sorry I thought you had said you were getting midi from the P12 into logic.

The P12 is not a Core Audio device, it is a Core Midi device.

With the P12 connected and turned on open up /Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi setup.app

Then Window menu->Show Midi Studio

Do you see the P12 there?

p.s. concerning sending the update to the P12 what do you have set on the P12->Globals->11 Midi sysex cable? It should be USB.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:54:17 PM by BobTheDog »

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
I am getting one, or the other, but not both concurrently into Logic... I have been able to do this with my Ultranova, which is why I am concerned with the setup somewhere along the lines.

As I said, I am new to making music, also new to Macs... I got the terminology wrong, but none the less, the P12 is not listed...

As for the SysEx Setup..l followed the instructions to the letter... Re-read them each time to be certain I had it setup correctly...

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
Not listed where?

In the midi studio as I mentioned in my previous post?

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 03:40:52 PM »
It is not listed in Midi Studio... Nor anywhere under System Settings -> Sound -> Audio Input or Output... Nor under Logic -> Preferences -> Audio -> input devices.

I do however get a listing for it under Output devices when I create an External Midi track within Logic...

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 10:59:33 PM »
It isn't an audio device so it will not appear in "System Settings -> Sound -> Audio Input or Output... Nor under Logic -> Preferences -> Audio -> input devices"

In midi studio does it appear if you do a "Rescan Midi" which is an icon at the top of the window?

If it appears in logic under output devices then I guess it must be working, maybe there is a problem with how you have logic setup. As a test:

In Logic create a new project, add a "External midi track", under details make sure that "Use External Instrument plugin" is NOT ticked, set the output to "Prophet 12 all".

Now create an audio track, set input to the audio inputs you have the P12 connected to.

Now make sure both tracks are record enabled and click record on the transport and play the P12, does this work?

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:33:56 AM »
The option to re-scan midi was not available as there were no midi devices listed.

I went to my main drive -> Library -> Preferences -> Audio and deleted the two .plist files, then rebooted.

I was then able to see the P12 listed in Audio Midi... But, was unable to still perform the OS update... Contaced tech support... After some time and many tests, it was establised that the 1.4 OS that i obtained from these forums was corrupted. A new version was sent, the update went ahead smoothly.

I haven't yet been able to test the audio / midi recording... I have some severe lumbar issues, so when things settle a bit again, I will re-test... I'm sure now that the root issues have been cleared up, that it will do both concurrently as expected.

Thanks Bob. I'll let you know how things progress. ☺️✌️

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »
Good stuff, let me know how it hoes.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 12:34:37 PM »
Recording went perfectly well. Perhaps 'more perfect' than I had anticipated.

I created one External Midi track, and one Audio track...
Set both to record enabled.

Entered a few notes, both clearly recorded as expected.
I went into the piano roll, made a couple of minor adjustments to some notes...
While the audio track did not 'appear' to physically change the waveform appearance, the audio itself did.

Out of curiousity, I muted the midi track, played the audio track and it played with the alterations that I made.

I then muted the audio track, and was listening to the same patch, with the alterations... I added a commercial midi loop to the end of my entries... and it played the selected patch perfectly...

So... Mission accomplished...👍👍

Thanks for all of your help Bob.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
Great news.

Glad you hot it sorted.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 12:04:44 PM »
👍✌️👽🖖