REV-2 Patches on P '08?

REV-2 Patches on P '08?
« on: February 18, 2021, 03:10:44 AM »
Hi all, I am sure this has been asked before but couldn't find it..

If I understand correctly, patches created on the Prophet 08 can be loaded onto a Rev 2 and (pretty much) sound the same.

Does anyone know if this is possible the other way around? Can you send a REV-2 sysex patch to a P'08?

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: REV-2 Patches on P '08?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 06:27:52 AM »
No, you cannot.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 02:22:49 PM »
No, you cannot.

Thanks for that. Does that mean that you can try to run it but the sounds will be off? Or it just cannot be done full stop? (I assume the latter)

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 02:31:24 PM »
There is no meaning to "the sounds will be off". Either the sysex is parsed as a valid patch or it is not.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 06:35:12 AM »
It may be worth mentioning that if you have the individual parameters of a Rev2 patch, you can frequently get the essence, if not a nearly identical version (by adding effects), with a P'08. There are times when it won't work, but I think most of the time you can get at least pretty close.

Because the Rev2 presets have been deconstructed and typed out, you could probably have a lot of fun with the book available here on the forum. While I don't use many of the Rev2 presets, I did find some of them to be very useful.  For example, bank 4's #16 String Ensemble quickly became my go to string sound. I have modified it in various ways, mostly just by changing the filter, but it is the foundation of my favorite Rev2 strings.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2455.0.html

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 10:32:19 AM »
There is no meaning to "the sounds will be off". Either the sysex is parsed as a valid patch or it is not.

Thanks for confirming!

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »
It may be worth mentioning that if you have the individual parameters of a Rev2 patch, you can frequently get the essence, if not a nearly identical version (by adding effects), with a P'08. There are times when it won't work, but I think most of the time you can get at least pretty close.

Because the Rev2 presets have been deconstructed and typed out, you could probably have a lot of fun with the book available here on the forum. While I don't use many of the Rev2 presets, I did find some of them to be very useful.  For example, bank 4's #16 String Ensemble quickly became my go to string sound. I have modified it in various ways, mostly just by changing the filter, but it is the foundation of my favorite Rev2 strings.

That's great, thanks! I have never heard the Rev2 patches (save one time messing about with it in a shop), but that's a great resource. Nice way to learn some modulation tricks too I am sure!

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 10:41:05 AM »

That's great, thanks! I have never heard the Rev2 patches (save one time messing about with it in a shop), but that's a great resource. Nice way to learn some modulation tricks too I am sure!

If you try it out, let us know your results! :)