Trouble with Using Prophet Rev2 as a MIDI Controller with Ableton 10

Hey everyone!

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well!    I just got the Rev2 for Christmas and have been doing the best to learn it as much as possible as it is my first hardware synth I'm working on!  Very powerful synth, and I am happy with it for the most part.   Two items I'm hoping the community can please help me with are:

#1 ) I have set the VST for it with the Soundtower app which works fine with interfacing with the physical synth, however I cannot seem to record MIDI from the Rev2.  If I import a MIDI region into the MIDI track, it does trigger the Rev2, but not the other way around.

# 2 ) I'm looking at using the Rev2 as a MIDI controller but having a really challenging time trying to get this to work too.   I have followed the global settings on the Rev 2 to turn Local OFF, MIDI information as USB (as I'm using a USB cable to interface directly into a USB port on my PC), MIDI ALL chan and MIDI SEND/REC to NRPN .   In Ableton, it does recognize "REV2 as MIDI input and output to the columns to the right of where it prompts for a MIDI controller.   I have assigned the Rev 2 to both MIDI in and MIDI out on the first row, but nothing.   I am not getting any indication of that yellow light that normally flashes when Ableton receives MIDI, but nothing during this process.   I guess one concern is do I have to assign a placeholder MIDI controller in order to use the REV 2 as a controller or?....As I don't see the REV 2 as any option in the MIDI controller column, presently I have left this blank.   I understand that the Rev 2 is class compliant, but would ableton need Rev 2 Windows 10 drivers to assign as a MIDI controller at all?   My goal is to use the Rev 2 to trigger Serum, Diva, Kontakt, etc.    Is this possible?   Sorry for the long winded post.   Any help is greatly appreciated please!   Thanks everyone!

Tristan

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: Trouble with Using Prophet Rev2 as a MIDI Controller with Ableton 10
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:23:11 PM »
Sounds like you've got a problem with Ableton, not your Rev2. These are classic issues stemming from a misunderstanding of how Ableton routes MIDI and when. Try any of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=using+external+synths+with+ableton for a good overview on how to set it up so it works. Try it without the Soundtower VST first, as you don't need it and it will only complicate things. Once you understand how MIDI tracks work with live hardware better, you can add it back and understand how to troubleshoot it when things go wrong. And read the Ableton manual section on MIDI tracks thoroughly, it's very well written and answers all of the questions you have here.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 12:34:59 PM »
Hello,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!   Yes I'll give this a shot tonight!  Really appreciate this, thank you again!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 08:27:52 PM »
Sounds like you've got a problem with Ableton, not your Rev2. These are classic issues stemming from a misunderstanding of how Ableton routes MIDI and when. Try any of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=using+external+synths+with+ableton for a good overview on how to set it up so it works. Try it without the Soundtower VST first, as you don't need it and it will only complicate things. Once you understand how MIDI tracks work with live hardware better, you can add it back and understand how to troubleshoot it when things go wrong. And read the Ableton manual section on MIDI tracks thoroughly, it's very well written and answers all of the questions you have here.

Hey,

BIG THANK YOU!   Got it working now!  Had to assign PC (Audio) [As I'm going USB straight from Rev to PC USB port]  Midi to track as well!   Works like a charm now!   Very helpful advice!   Thanks again and take care!   =)

-Tristan