Unison Mode Suggestion: Sub Unison

Unison Mode Suggestion: Sub Unison
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
I just installed 1.5 and love it on my P10. 

I had a quick thought, that if possible, if would be really interesting if similar to Poly Unison mode, there was a Sub Unison mode.  So, the second voice used could play one or both of the same waveforms as Osc 1 and 2, but one octave below in pitch (assuming there is an octave below remaining in the pitch range for the selected oscillators). 

If possible, this would be awesome as you would not only have a sub to work with for sound design, but it would be a richer sub than many other boards where you just have a square or triangle or whatever waveform is set for the sub.

My apologies if this is not the right place to pitch crazy ideas. :)  Much love, and thanks for making such great instruments.

Re: Unison Mode Suggestion: Sub Unison
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 03:29:00 AM »
I just installed 1.5 and love it on my P10. 

I had a quick thought, that if possible, if would be really interesting if similar to Poly Unison mode, there was a Sub Unison mode.  So, the second voice used could play one or both of the same waveforms as Osc 1 and 2, but one octave below in pitch (assuming there is an octave below remaining in the pitch range for the selected oscillators). 

If possible, this would be awesome as you would not only have a sub to work with for sound design, but it would be a richer sub than many other boards where you just have a square or triangle or whatever waveform is set for the sub.

My apologies if this is not the right place to pitch crazy ideas. :)  Much love, and thanks for making such great instruments.

That’s a pretty cool idea. I have no idea if it’s feasible. Worth sending an email to sequential as they don’t read everything on here.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 07:01:41 AM »
Thanks. I followed your advice and emailed the suggestion in.

When writing it up, I added the idea of rather than just mirroring Osc A or B one octave down, also giving the option of just selecting a Triangle, Pulse, or Saw wave one octave down, with ideally the ability to set the pulse width of the pulse.  Since there are dedicated buttons for the wave types on Osc B,  I figured a user could use those to select the sub wave type.  From a sound design point of view, since the sub is often just a simple wave on other machines, having that here as well rather than a mirrored version of A or B might be advantageous.

I suppose you would also need some way to adjust the mix of the sub waves vs the other waves, which could perhaps with done with the noise knob and something in global row 3.

I'm so happy with my P10 regardless, but having a sub to work with would be a nice addition.  Fingers crossed it is possible and something they would want to add.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
This is a nice idea, and reading your post i was wondering if what you are looking at could be replaced by a bi-timbral mode.
I was thinking of this because we actually have an unison - polymode by stacking 2 same voices.
But if we could be able to stack 2 different programs with transpose / detune facilities, then we could do the Sub trick you are looking for, and a alot of other nice things...

Qwave

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 02:11:17 AM »
I wonder if the Prophet-5/10 Rev.4 is able to set the voices to two different parameters. So selecting the sub waveshapes might not happen. But the different tuning should be doable, as it is just assigning second voice to each voice played or received via MIDI and let it play an octave below. No need to change a sound parameter for this.
keep on turning these knobs

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 06:47:24 AM »
Consider what would happen with osc B in "sub unison" mode if using it as a modulator (polymod). You would have one voice modulating at the base rate and the sub unison voice modulating at half that rate. It could make for some interesting sounds, but it also may prevent you from getting the sound you want.

Dual bi-timbral mode would be ideal, but who knows if that is doable. The poly-unison mode is a great addition, especially having the vintage knob and unison detune to add variation.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 11:08:28 AM »
Consider what would happen with osc B in "sub unison" mode if using it as a modulator (polymod). You would have one voice modulating at the base rate and the sub unison voice modulating at half that rate. It could make for some interesting sounds, but it also may prevent you from getting the sound you want.

Dual bi-timbral mode would be ideal, but who knows if that is doable. The poly-unison mode is a great addition, especially having the vintage knob and unison detune to add variation.

I often do exactly that type of modulation on the Micromoog, sounds extraordinary.
Think Kraftwerks ”Antenna” ”dagadagadum” sounds :)