New cheeks!

New cheeks!
« on: February 14, 2021, 10:03:21 AM »
While I couldn't necessarily spare the funds for the Pro 3 SE, I still wanted to get closer to the visual appeal.  After designing and 3d printing some router templates and mounting brackets, my standard edition has now shed it's plastic side panels and has some new furniture-like red oak instead!

What do you think?  :)

chysn

Re: New cheeks!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
Nice work! I’ve been considering a project like this. For me it’ll be more of a summer thing.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
Looks nice!
Where do I place my order?  :)

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
Nice work! I’ve been considering a project like this. For me it’ll be more of a summer thing.

It was a fun endeavor, but not without its challenges.  Given that the screws were on the bottom and the sides had screw heads protruding from them, finding a method to flush mount to the side wasn't easy.  I think I finally settled on something that works well though.

Would've been simpler if there was a way to mount directly to the side, but the circuitry inside didn't leave much room for screws to protrude too deeply inside of the panel.  Making use of some of the holes punched into the side, I was able to get a nicely mounted bracket that allowed me to hide all of the screws on the inside.   Kind of nice not having any screw heads visible on the outside.

Would like to also find a way to obscure the little notches on the top that held the side panels.  Toyed around with trying to route and chisel out a snug fit so that the side panel would cover them up but it wasn't really worth the extra effort imo.  Getting that tolerance tight enough would've been tough and any gap would've driven me insane.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
Looks nice!

Hah, thanks! 

No joke -- I almost considered setting up something that would let me offer something like this at a fair price.  Maybe also offer a few different colors like red oak, walnut, mahogany, etc.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
While I couldn't necessarily spare the funds for the Pro 3 SE, I still wanted to get closer to the visual appeal.  After designing and 3d printing some router templates and mounting brackets, my standard edition has now shed it's plastic side panels and has some new furniture-like red oak instead!

That looks gorgeous!  Even the Standard Edition was made for wooden ends.

Sequential should make the SE a limited edition, and then add wood cheeks to the Standard Edition.  This really is the way to go, and with a huge savings.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:37:56 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 11:40:42 AM »
Sequential should make the SE a limited edition, and then add wood cheeks to the Standard Edition.  This really is the way to go, and with a huge savings.

As someone who wants to buy an SE in a couple years depending on finances, I'd rather they continue producing them as usual, personally. ;) But I'd love to see the standard edition get wood ends too, absolutely.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »
Looks nice!

Hah, thanks! 

No joke -- I almost considered setting up something that would let me offer something like this at a fair price.  Maybe also offer a few different colors like red oak, walnut, mahogany, etc.
I’d probably be interested if you do it. I like wood caps but didn’t need the tilt of the SE.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 12:02:03 PM »

Wow! That’s beautiful work! It made the pro3 look like a whole new synthesizer with a whole new look. Very very nice my friend!
Cheers!
Prophet~6|Prophet~10 Rev3|Prophet~10 Rev4|OB-6|OB-Xa |Minimoog Model-D (reissue)|Tempest|DMX|LinnDrum|Drumtraks

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »

As someone who wants to buy an SE in a couple years depending on finances, I'd rather they continue producing them as usual, personally. ;) But I'd love to see the standard edition get wood ends too, absolutely.

That's $500 just for a tilting panel and a wood strip along the front.  I agree that those features are desirable, but at such a price?

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »

That's $500 just for a tilting panel and a wood strip along the front.  I agree that those features are desirable, but at such a price?
Apparently to many. Sequential reported the SE and standard were selling equally at launch.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »

Apparently to many. Sequential reported the SE and standard were selling equally at launch.

All things considered, the woodwork does require some additional tooling, work and a care during construction (not to mention all of the rest of the additional parts for the case). 

It's a bit of a premium at $500, but as a flagship monosynth it's not entirely unexpected to see this kind of hike in price, all things considered.

For me -- I didn't really need the tilt and already planned to do the wood myself so my choice to get the standard edition was with this in mind.

The SE is still a beautiful beast and likely worth every penny to those who shelled out for it.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »

Wow! That’s beautiful work! It made the pro3 look like a whole new synthesizer with a whole new look. Very very nice my friend!
Cheers!

Thank you for the kind words! 

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »

Looks great, codecae!  Nice work!

I've got a bunch of extra Tigerwood deck material sitting in my garage... making me think I may need to take on a weekend project and turn my standard into an LE :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:55:53 PM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 03:02:02 PM »

Looks great, codecae!  Nice work!

I've got a bunch of extra Tigerwood deck material sitting in my garage... making me think I may need to take on a weekend project and turn my standard into an LE :)

I bet with all of that grain variation, it would be a head-turner, for sure! 

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »

To me, yes. I buy instruments, not tools, I don't buy many or often, and I try to only buy ones I love, not just like.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »
I buy instruments, not tools, I don't buy many or often, and I try to only buy ones I love, not just like.

I agree with you.  If the Pro 3 only had a longer keyboard, I would consider it worth the price.  But the 3-octave keyboard is what kills it for me.  Even 3 1/2 octaves might suffice; but 3 is far too musically restrictive.  It's too bad Sequential won't be offering a module version.  This instrument played on a Rev 2 or Prophet-6 keyboard would be a delight.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 03:39:46 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 04:27:35 PM »
I buy instruments, not tools, I don't buy many or often, and I try to only buy ones I love, not just like.

I agree with you.  If the Pro 3 only had a longer keyboard, I would consider it worth the price.  But the 3-octave keyboard is what kills it for me.  Even 3 1/2 octaves might suffice; but 3 is far too musically restrictive.  It's too bad Sequential won't be offering a module version.  This instrument played on a Rev 2 or Prophet-6 keyboard would be a delight.

I can see how having the lower end of the keys drop down to maybe an F would offer more for performance-wise.  In my opinion, this doesn't hinder it musically, though.   

The things you can do with it sonically, paraphonically and with modulation put it on a different tier than its competition, musically speaking.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 06:14:01 PM »
The simple fact is, if a melody doesn't fit on the keyboard, then it just doesn't fit.  My melodies tend to have a wide span and to be played at two different octaves.  And having to hit an octave switch can be a pain and often impossible.  Ah, so close....

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 06:41:12 PM »
The simple fact is, if a melody doesn't fit on the keyboard, then it just doesn't fit.  My melodies tend to have a wide span and to be played at two different octaves.  And having to hit an octave switch can be a pain and often impossible.  Ah, so close....

At the risk of veering totally off-topic, I totally agree, that's the biggest gripe I have with the Moog Subsequent 37, and my second-biggest gripe with the Pro 3, the biggest being the lack of dual filters as on the Pro 2 (which I'm seriously considering as my next purchase, but that's not an urgent need at the moment) - which, to get back on topic, DOES have wooden end cheeks. ;)