Transposing by one note.

Transposing by one note.
« on: February 12, 2021, 05:44:20 PM »
Hey all.  Did a quick search in my manual and on this forum, but cannot find the answer.  Basically I am using my OB-6 as a master keyboard for all synths.  The transpose works perfectly when I want it to transpose an octave, but it doesn't seem to be able to transpose by one or two notes.  Like, it is by default set to C, of course, but what if I wanna set it to D or E?

When I hear the audio from the OB-6 itself, it works.  I hear a change in the pitch, and when I press "C" note I hear "D" note.  Cool.  But that is not being sent as a D MIDI note to my other synths.

I thought, from the manual, that pressing global, and then changing the transpose value by 1 or 2 might do that.  But it does not (just changes OB-6 sounds).  It still sends out a Midi C note if I press the C note.  How can I, when pressing a C note, send out a D or E note to my other synth, Logic, etc?  That is what I am trying to do, but failing.

It just doesn't make sense that transpose would work in two different ways at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:08:14 PM by brinstar »

LPF83

Re: Transposing by one note.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:34:04 PM »
Hey all.  Did a quick search in my manual and on this forum, but cannot find the answer.  Basically I am using my OB-6 as a master keyboard for all synths.  The transpose works perfectly when I want it to transpose an octave, but it doesn't seem to be able to transpose by one or two notes.  Like, it is by default set to C, of course, but what if I wanna set it to D or E?

When I hear the audio from the OB-6 itself, it works.  I hear a change in the pitch, and when I press "C" note I hear "D" note.  Cool.  But that is not being sent as a D MIDI note to my other synths.

I thought, from the manual, that pressing global, and then changing the transpose value by 1 or 2 might do that.  But it does not (just changes OB-6 sounds).  It still sends out a Midi C note if I press the C note.  How can I, when pressing a C note, send out a D or E note to my other synth, Logic, etc?  That is what I am trying to do, but failing.

It just doesn't make sense that transpose would work in two different ways at the same time.

Well usually the purpose of a transpose button on a keyboard is for the purposes of overcoming the playable physical range of that keyboard, and for that purpose an entire octave shift makes the most sense for the general definition of synth transpose.  I think most would say if you want to play a semitone up or down, then use the key next to the one you're on.  Or tune the oscillators up or down one, another way to achieve same.

That being said, I know Cubase gives you a gazillion ways to modify the MIDI data in the DAW, so I'd be surprised if Logic doesn't give you the ability to do that, but maybe a Logic user could chime in.

Oddly enough, the transpose feature (not a dedicated button but in the globals menu) on the Prophet 5/10 works like you want it to, shifting one semitone at a time, even though it's not really good for changing while playing because it requires going into global mode.  I wish it shifted an entire octave at a time and had a dedicated button personally, but it does have a 61 keyboard which is enough range for a synth I think.  I usually just tune the OSC knobs if I want it down or up an octave.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Transposing by one note.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »
Look for something called the midi "modifier" plugin in Logic. Cubendo has it's midi modifiers in the track inspector. These work on the midi input before it gets sent anywhere. Not sure bout Logic but the modifier plugin sounds promising for what you are trying to achieve.