Using Pro 3 with Logic Pro X

andoru2001

• Andrew Clark
    • Analog Wake
Using Pro 3 with Logic Pro X
« on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:14 AM »
I am trying to find the best way to use the Pro 3 and Logic Pro X together. I would like to keep all of the sequencer functions on the Pro 3. I've tried setting it to both In / Out, driving Logic and following Logic. I am sure it's a newbie issue, but it's a mess. Sometimes the keys don't work on the keyboard, sometimes when I start recording in Logic the Pro 3 will start, sometimes it doesn't (with exactly the same settings!).

Any tips on the setup on each side that works best? I do not have as many problems getting my Yamaha synth to talk to Logic, but then the Yamaha don't sound like my Pro 3. Got to figure this out...
Pro 3, TR-8S, DFAM, Yamaha MX61, Korg Volcas, Logic Pro X, Arturia Prophet VST

andoru2001

• Andrew Clark
    • Analog Wake
Re: Using Pro 3 with Logic Pro X
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »
I can't believe no one uses the Pro 3 with Logic Pro X? What about you folks using other DAWs. What have been the optimal settings for you on both sides?

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 04:29:37 PM »
I can't believe no one uses the Pro 3 with Logic Pro X? What about you folks using other DAWs. What have been the optimal settings for you on both sides?
Hi! I am not a Logic user, but I assume you have taken care of preventing a midi loop (everything that comes out of the Pro 3 as midi information will be returned to the Pro 3 immediately, especially with a monophonic synth, this can create very strange behavior). You can test this by switching Local control on the Pro 3 to off. I am not questioning your knowledge of how midi works, it is just the first thing that came to my mind.

Best regards,

Pieter
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:35:39 PM by pietermeij »

andoru2001

• Andrew Clark
    • Analog Wake
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 07:38:34 PM »
Pieter,

Yes, thank you. I appreciate the feedback, and I do have LOCAL CONTROL set to OFF. Someone posted the settings for Ableton and I’ve used those with some success. Honestly the best thing seems to be to be to set the BPM the same on both and just record and do multiple takes in Logic, or move the audio after the fact if need be.

Surprising that it’s not easier to make them work together for something like a live performance.

Andrew

andoru2001

• Andrew Clark
    • Analog Wake
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 04:00:11 AM »
Quick Bump: Anyone want to share how they're using the Pro 3 with Logic Pro X?

My set up: Logic Pro X on M1 Mac, Pro 3 with latest updates and wavetables, Roland TR-8S, Yamaha MX61 keyboard, and soon to the family: Moog DFAM. Would love any suggestions, tips, or to hear how you've integrated your gear.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 10:35:51 PM »
Hey, which audiointerface do you use?

andoru2001

• Andrew Clark
    • Analog Wake
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 04:06:25 AM »
Hey, which audiointerface do you use?

Thank you for taking a moment to respond!

I am using the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. I am using audio into the Scarlett from the Pro 3, and the Midi cable to send midi to and from Logic directly connected to my Mac.

Andrew

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 05:21:41 AM »
I've connected the Pro3 via USB to the Mac and the Audio Out goes to the audio interface. Between Pro3 and the audio interface I've an external effect chain (mainly stereo stompboxes). I can play the Pro3 with an external SL88 Grand Midi Keyboard. The SL88 Grand also just connects via USB to the Mac.

Most important is the Logic Project setup, one instrument is just the audio recording of the Pro3 and another is setup as external midi instrument with the Pro3 Midi interface, at this channel I can place midi (or play with the external Keyboard) and able record the audio channel or audio and midi together.

You need to check / setup Midi settings at the Pro3 as well, depending if you would like to receive/send midi from/to the Pro3, also midi clock in/out... etc.

For other midi external gear I connected Midi from the Audio Interface (Midi Out) to the Blokas Midihub and from there to the external gear (Behringer Model D clone/ Arp 2600 clone / Erebus Dreabox / Eurorack gear).

Your miles may vary
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:34:11 AM by DeadCat »
Pro 3 SE #295
macOS, Logic X, Eurorack
https://www.youtube.com/user/daSunBrain

andoru2001

• Andrew Clark
    • Analog Wake
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 09:13:26 AM »
Very helpful, thanks. I think the main thing I find is when Logic is controlling the Pro 3, the sequencer's functions are limited. So I am back to just setting the clock at the same speed on both and recording Midi into Logic, making any adjustments, then recording audio through the audio interface.

Thanks for letting me know about your setup. I'll check out your YouTube channel.

Cheers,

Andrew

I've connected the Pro3 via USB to the Mac and the Audio Out goes to the audio interface. Between Pro3 and the audio interface I've an external effect chain (mainly stereo stompboxes). I can play the Pro3 with an external SL88 Grand Midi Keyboard. The SL88 Grand also just connects via USB to the Mac.

Most important is the Logic Project setup, one instrument is just the audio recording of the Pro3 and another is setup as external midi instrument with the Pro3 Midi interface, at this channel I can place midi (or play with the external Keyboard) and able record the audio channel or audio and midi together.

You need to check / setup Midi settings at the Pro3 as well, depending if you would like to receive/send midi from/to the Pro3, also midi clock in/out... etc.

For other midi external gear I connected Midi from the Audio Interface (Midi Out) to the Blokas Midihub and from there to the external gear (Behringer Model D clone/ Arp 2600 clone / Erebus Dreabox / Eurorack gear).

Your miles may vary

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 06:15:23 PM »
I am trying to find the best way to use the Pro 3 and Logic Pro X together. I would like to keep all of the sequencer functions on the Pro 3. I've tried setting it to both In / Out, driving Logic and following Logic. I am sure it's a newbie issue, but it's a mess. Sometimes the keys don't work on the keyboard, sometimes when I start recording in Logic the Pro 3 will start, sometimes it doesn't (with exactly the same settings!).

Any tips on the setup on each side that works best? I do not have as many problems getting my Yamaha synth to talk to Logic, but then the Yamaha don't sound like my Pro 3. Got to figure this out...

Ok...I know another Andrew Clark which probably isn't crazy, but still.

I figured it out. I think.

This assumes you've set up an external instrument (not midi track) for your pro 3.

The two things that matter are obviously midi clock in on the pro 3 if you want to run the sequencer in No/SS if you want to record midi.

The second thing is that thing on the left in Logic ( there's a word for it, I'm terrible with words, I don't know any words). Set midi input to "all" if you want to record and play back midi. Set it to the midi channel you have the pro 3 set to to play back the sequence.

Basically it's two different functions that require a little additional set up.

Hope this helps you and anyone else!!

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 06:19:25 PM »
Actually- the stuff on the left doesn't matter, but having record armed when you want to play the pro 3 sequencer does. That's when it gets batty

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 02:41:34 AM »

Ok...I know another Andrew Clark which probably isn't crazy, but still.

I figured it out. I think.

This assumes you've set up an external instrument (not midi track) for your pro 3.

The two things that matter are obviously midi clock in on the pro 3 if you want to run the sequencer in No/SS if you want to record midi.

The second thing is that thing on the left in Logic ( there's a word for it, I'm terrible with words, I don't know any words). Set midi input to "all" if you want to record and play back midi. Set it to the midi channel you have the pro 3 set to to play back the sequence.

Basically it's two different functions that require a little additional set up.

Hope this helps you and anyone else!!

Is ok this configuration? ^_^ You try it?