NRPN hardware controller for OB-6?

NRPN hardware controller for OB-6?
« on: February 06, 2021, 01:09:13 AM »
Greetings everyone,

I am looking at controlling my OB-6 with a hardware device which can send NRPN messages.

I have been trying with an arturia beatstep pro, which unfortunately didn't work out because of incompatibilities in how the nrpn protocol is set up for both machines.

I asked the sequential support for suggestions for hardware/physical controllers which are well suited for the OB-6, but even they didn't have a clue (they could only suggest software).

Hopefully some of you out there has some first hand experience or a tip?

Thanks!

kris

Re: NRPN hardware controller for OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 02:16:58 AM »
Greetings everyone,

I am looking at controlling my OB-6 with a hardware device which can send NRPN messages.

I have been trying with an arturia beatstep pro, which unfortunately didn't work out because of incompatibilities in how the nrpn protocol is set up for both machines.

I asked the sequential support for suggestions for hardware/physical controllers which are well suited for the OB-6, but even they didn't have a clue (they could only suggest software).

Thanks!
I wouldn't see why the NRPN would be any special with the OB-6? I use a Behringer BCR2000 (old model, used only) with great success. It is extremely flexible and can even do sysex for other synths that don't do NRPN.

Here is a template I made to control the gated sequencer of the Rev2: https://github.com/christofmuc/bcr2000_for_dsi_prophet_rev2 as an example.
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 12:08:29 AM »
Greetings everyone,

Thanks!
I wouldn't see why the NRPN would be any special with the OB-6? I use a Behringer BCR2000 (old model, used only) with great success. It is extremely flexible and can even do sysex for other synths that don't do NRPN.

Here is a template I made to control the gated sequencer of the Rev2: https://github.com/christofmuc/bcr2000_for_dsi_prophet_rev2 as an example.

Hey Kris, thanks for getting back to me. Great about the Behringer BCR2000 and for the link, I guess that should work just as good on the ob-6. It seems to me that both Rev2 and Ob-6 handle NRPN the same way.

What would the advantage be? Although I am new to this, I was hoping to:

a) have control over all parameters, not only those supported by CC
b) have higher resolution (higher than 127), even on those parameters which are supported by CC

Do you think using NRPN won't be that special on the ob-6? Why is that special on the Rev2?

thanks!
A

kris

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 03:04:51 PM »
Hey Kris, thanks for getting back to me. Great about the Behringer BCR2000 and for the link, I guess that should work just as good on the ob-6. It seems to me that both Rev2 and Ob-6 handle NRPN the same way.

b) have higher resolution (higher than 127), even on those parameters which are supported by CC

Do you think using NRPN won't be that special on the ob-6? Why is that special on the Rev2?

thanks!
A
I don't think the synth would support the higher resolution available via NRPN. I think the encoders on the synth produce the same 127 data range, and the sysex memory for sure is 127 resolution. For remote controlling of course CC is limited by the number of available controllers, and to get to all parameters you need NRPN (you can even send NRPNs to change global settings...).

The OB-6 is much more immediate than the Rev2, so I am not sure how much an external controller would give you? The Rev2 on the other hand for example has all the gated step sequencer data lanes which I edit with the BCR2000. All other parameters I still edit on the synth. It never occured to me to use the BCR2000 with the OB-6, because I think it has a knob for each function already? (At least the keyboard version, which is what I have).
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 11:54:02 PM »

thanks!
A
I don't think the synth would support the higher resolution available via NRPN. I think the encoders on the synth produce the same 127 data range, and the sysex memory for sure is 127 resolution. For remote controlling of course CC is limited by the number of available controllers, and to get to all parameters you need NRPN (you can even send NRPNs to change global settings...).

The OB-6 is much more immediate than the Rev2, so I am not sure how much an external controller would give you? The Rev2 on the other hand for example has all the gated step sequencer data lanes which I edit with the BCR2000. All other parameters I still edit on the synth. It never occured to me to use the BCR2000 with the OB-6, because I think it has a knob for each function already? (At least the keyboard version, which is what I have).

Yes, if you are able to control it manually it makes no difference. But it would be great to have an external controller modulate via LFO or automation a bunch of NRPN parameters while you are playing. If NRPN allows for more subtlety it is a great resource. I will look into the BCR2000, whether you can assign a few parameters for LFO modulation via NRPN. I have an Arturia Beatstep pro, which unluckily doesn't allow that.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 06:22:23 PM »
The Novation SL Mk3

Even comes with a factory template for the OB-6

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 12:12:59 AM »
The Novation SL Mk3

Thanks for the heads up! I downloaded user guide, but strangely enough it doesn't even mention 'nrpn'...guess I would have to try it out to see what it looks like.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 05:46:47 AM »
The Novation SL Mk3

Thanks for the heads up! I downloaded user guide, but strangely enough it doesn't even mention 'nrpn'...guess I would have to try it out to see what it looks like.

NRPN is selectable for each pot. Look up the guide for Novation Components. Thats where all that is set up. This video is better still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXcvTnXHRM

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 05:48:26 AM »
The Novation SL Mk3

NRPN is selectable for each pot. Look up the guide for Novation Components. Thats where all that is set up. This video is better still

ah-ha! Cheers for the link :-)

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 05:51:01 AM »
The Novation SL Mk3

just in case you are using the Novation SL Mk3 to control an ob-6 via NRPN: would you mind sharing some thoughts about it? Cheers

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 03:37:44 PM »
The Novation SL Mk3

just in case you are using the Novation SL Mk3 to control an ob-6 via NRPN: would you mind sharing some thoughts about it? Cheers

It works well. It’s customizable too if you want to change the template or create your own. You only get two banks of 8 rotaries per template plus a whole host of push buttons. I find if you really want to dig into it you can use two templates if you want. You just switch between templates on the main SL display.
Was there something specific you wanted to know?

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 01:56:35 AM »
The Novation SL Mk3

It works well. It’s customizable too if you want to change the template or create your own. You only get two banks of 8 rotaries per template plus a whole host of push buttons. I find if you really want to dig into it you can use two templates if you want. You just switch between templates on the main SL display.
Was there something specific you wanted to know?

Cheers :-) not really, I guess my question was more general. I still wonder if you can really say that NRPN is a whole lot better than CC when controlling the OB-6, especially comparing parameters which are both controllable by CC & NRPN. The SL seems anyway a great way to find out.

Jdoo

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 06:33:48 PM »
Was about to post this on another forum thread - but this is probably a good place for it.  I use an SL MKIII with an OB-6 desktop unit.  The NRPN fix works (thank you again, Sequential!).  You have to change to 14 bits for controls where you are using and need the NRPN resolution.   The Novation provided OB6 template for the SL MKIII is junk though.  They removed all controls that need NRPNs and now map only CCs.   Because of that, there are some controls that you dont get with their template.  Others, where the limitation of 128 values is not too difficult to hear / feel are provided..  But it's quickly realized, that you will want to use NRPNs for them.   So..  Yes.  The Novation SL MKIII is a great controller for the OB6 and supports NRPNs.   No.. don't use the Novation supplied OB-6 template.  It cant / doesnt reference the new Vintage stuff (though it's an easy map to do with NRPNs which is supports).  Like I mentioned, there are other important controls that you want the resolution of NRPNs for and the SL MKIII supports them... but the Novation template dropped them.  Configuring your own, works easy enough.. 

hth -

Joe

Hymy

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »

thanks!
A

Yes, if you are able to control it manually it makes no difference. But it would be great to have an external controller modulate via LFO or automation a bunch of NRPN parameters while you are playing. If NRPN allows for more subtlety it is a great resource. I will look into the BCR2000, whether you can assign a few parameters for LFO modulation via NRPN. I have an Arturia Beatstep pro, which unluckily doesn't allow that.
The Low frequency expander can modulate both CC and NRPN-only parameters and seems to be in the same price range as the Novation SL MK3. A wonderful little box!
Topic on this forum: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3575.0.html
Homepage of the maker https://www.yoricktech.co.uk/