Why Aux ADSR encoders?

chysn

Why Aux ADSR encoders?
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
The question is in the subject. Why do you think Sequential uses encoders for the aux envelope knobs instead of pots like the filter and amp envelopes?

A broader question, I guess, is why do they use encoders anywhere on the Pro 3? Well, the soft knobs above the display make some sense.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: Why Aux ADSR encoders?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:05:57 PM »
The obvious (to me) answer is because the aux envelopes are soft-switchable and having pots would give a false indication that the position is correct for the current envelope - when it may be for the other, or a mix of settings from both, or neither. Of all of the controls, this is one that is purely context dependent even within the same patch. So, it makes sense that they are encoders. My sense is that the UI is consistent: things that can change value/context inside the same patch are encoders, things that are both dedicated controls and only change value when the patch changes are pots.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

chysn

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 03:17:00 AM »
Hmm, I think there’s some merit to that. It makes sense.

The Oscillator 3 shape knob doesn’t really fit as an encoder, as its function is always the same. And the sequencer Value knob doesn’t fit the pattern, as a pot, because it can set many things, but that works for effects, LFOs, etc.

I think the Osc 3 shape should be an encoder, as it’s a list selection rather than a value selection. If that’s added as a differentiator, then only the sequencer value pot is the odd duck.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 03:22:16 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 06:33:28 AM »
Good points. The list nature does speak to the OSC 3 select. My only theory regarding the sequence value is that, while it does indeed break from the UI theory we've established here, it does provide a physical "low" and "high" mark which makes it very simple to "play" live, and since the value knob is often manually modulated over the sequence, it's very valuable to have certainty over the absolute position of the control when playing it. That's the only reason I can think of for deviating - it's nearly impossible to waggle an encoder while looking at other things or just by feel and have any real certainty over what you're doing - those go well when the value is displayed, but not felt. Pots, on the other hand, are perfect when the value range is felt. This is one case where it's easy to comprehend that the current value of that particular pot is usually wrong, yet benefits the UI greatly by having a fixed relationship to min and max. Of course, this exception has a mental burden in a UX cognitive sense, so I can understand why it was only applied here. One exception is easy for humans to integrate intuitively. Too many and the brain cannot become fluent with muscle memory.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...