What FX are you using?

What FX are you using?
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
I thought I would get by with the onboard delay fx on my Pro 2, especially when I read you could mimic reverb, flanger, ping-pong etc. But these things not only take a lot of time (and skill) to get right, but then if you want to try the effect you've just created on a different patch, you can't. So I'm contemplating an outboard fx pedal.

With the Pro2 having delay, the obvious choice is reverb, but interested to see what you guys are running. The Eventide Space and Strymon Big Sky seem to be the go-to units, but I like the Strymon Dig, El Capistan, Deco, EHX Cathedral, Line 6 DL4, and the Ibanez ES2 analog. Not to mention the Minifoogers!

My local music shop has a few to trial, but I'd have to spend like 8 hours in there to get an idea :)

Re: What FX are you using?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:34:52 PM »
All of those sound good :)

The only non-guitar hardware FX I have is an Eventide Eclipse, even though they are a bit old in the tooth they are pretty good. Not cheap though.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
An Eventide H9 can run the ModEchoVerb and new SpaceTime algorithms, which include chorus, echo and verb. You could start there and add more specific verb and delay algorithms as you go. I run the ModEchoVerb on my Nord Lead 2X with fantastic results. The iPad app is also really cool for editing the H9.

That being said, I just picked up the BigSky, and it makes everything sound great. Hard to make it sound bad, really. Should have bought one a long time ago.

I can appreciate that dedicated delay pedals, especially the tape and analog delays, have more dimension than the Pro 2 delay, but I think a verb is a good place to start since the Pro 2 can do decent digital delay. Just my two cents, though.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »
I just picked up an Eventide Timefactor dirt cheap (under half price) used, so couldn't resist. Certainly there's some crossover to the built-in delay, but should able to do more and can route other gear through it via DAW send too.

I was thinking of the H9, but then thought it might be limiting in the sense that with all the presets you have (or can add), you can still only apply one at a time. So I'm sure I'll eventually chain the Timefactor to something else (maybe even an H9!). Will keep an eye on the classifieds for maybe a BigSky or Space next.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:28:06 AM »
I've added a few to the fx collection since my last post! The Timefactor is good, but for me there are too many variables. I take too long tinkering. So I demo'd the Strymon smaller pedals and love their sound, and also the fact I can see the settings without having to wiggle the knobs. Chaining these three gives me all the options I've been after.

Nearly went Blue Sky for reverb but today trialled the Flint and unexpectedly loved the tremolo. The reverb options aren't as large, but I enjoyed the tone and will work for what I want to do.

If you love stereo separation, the Ola chorus is really cool. I tried a few chorus pedals and even a some multi's like the Line 6 M5, but they were thin sounding in comparison. The Strymons are really rich in tone for digital effects. Highly recommended!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 11:11:23 PM »
Good luck with those 3 awesome pedals.  Did you make that stand yourself?  Very cool design and elegant.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

blewis

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:32 AM »
BigSky is on my list to buy.

Wow! Those stands! Imagine one that held a BigSky and Mother-32!

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 07:06:46 AM »
Yeah designed and built the stand myself :) - I just couldn't see the dials laying flat on the desktop. But now getting ideas of making some up for the drum machine and other stuff!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »
Very handy for those who don't like their expensive pedals lying on the floor collecting dust, and who are sitting while they play.  It's almost like having a pedal rack-mounted.  You might be onto something.  Why not offer these for sale?

chysn

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 07:43:05 AM »
That stand is ridiculously amazing.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »
EHX Cathedral.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 02:13:22 AM »
Eventide Space and Timefactor connected via patchbay so that I can use them with different synths in my project studio (connected to the patchbays, too)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:17:05 AM by Stue007 »
DSI Prophet REV 2, Prophet X

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 05:43:14 AM »
The best Eventide box you can afford.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »
I have to say, your pedal stand is one of the most beautiful things I've seen anyone make in a long time. Just shows how much love and passion and respect you have for beautiful gear. You've totally inspired me to build a stand for my strymon pedals, as well!!

One question I had: looking at your design I can see how you've connected the panels etc, but I'm super confused about what you've done to prevent the pedals from sliding out. Is there a bit of bracing or a lip that isn't shown in the photos? Or Velcro? Or are the panels so snug that the pedals are wedged in tightly enough not to slide out?

Would love to know how you've done it, as your design is very graceful, and I'd love to avoid crafting a lip to secure the pedals!

-Mark

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 06:58:47 AM »
Also, while we're on the subject... I use the Strymon Deco and BlueSky. Next on my list are the Ola and Flint. Also use a TC Electronic Helix.

Deco:

Can only recommend this pedal!! Stereo in / out. Wonderful tape saturation. VERY different sound from the Pro2's distortion and girth. Also does a very decent chorus (though I often wish is could be "wetter". Simple but sweet tape delay (one or two repeats). Not enough for intricate delays, but very nice to thicken the sound, great slap, and widening of stereo image. I'd say the Deco is my favorite synth pedal bar none. So flexible and great tone. Also should mention that Strymon pedals are superbly suited for synths: not only are they stereo in and out, and have expression inputs, but they take line level signals brilliantly.

BlueSky:

Obviously not as powerful as the BigSky, but still very nice. Not super happy with the room tone, to be honest. A bit dark and muddy for synths. Shimmer is great, but even with zero pre-delay is a bit slow to kick in. For shorter sounds the wet level needs to be set very high to even hear the shimmer. Not always appropriate. Favorite setting is the plate, either in natural or mod mode. Very smooth, bright but full and not harsh, "transparent" enough to not muddy up synths. Very nice to be able to roll off lows. All in all a very nice reverb. Though I will admit, that for the price I sometimes feel that I'm not getting enough useable reverbs for synth work. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome (ESP for guitar), but about half the options just aren't ideal for synths (room too muddy, spring doesn't pair well with synths, shimmer a bit too delayed for anything but pads, modulation is gorgeous but a tad subtle for non-percussive sounds).

Helix:

I got this pedal because it was cheap ($65 used), has stereo ins and outs, and with the tone prints seemed to have great flexibility. However, I'm not super into the sound. Can't quite explain it... there's nothing wrong with it, but I've yet to have a moment of feeling anything magical comes out of it. It lacks warmth and bass, immediately tends to thin everything out, feedback isn't very musical... overall I just have the sense that the phasing effect never really "becomes part" of the sound, but rather sort of transplants it with a lesser phased copy. Not pleasant and will probably replace someday soon. Hoping Strymon will build a phaser soon!!! :)

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »
I'm pretty much in love with the OTO BAM reverb for big, warm, lush and majestic. And a Boss DD-20 for long, decaying looping delays.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »
The best Eventide box you can afford.

Very good advice.

I would add for the computer side all the SoundToys plugins.

ARNK

• Audio wishes from planet Mars / MEME DespiZer
    • Returning to Zero
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Can someone explain to the uninitiated why you wouldn't consider software options for things like reverb, chorus and flange - as opposed to the discussed effects pedals.

Is it the character & hands on tactile control element?
The greater the humiliation, the greater the rate of evaporation of that feeling and all subsequent dispositions. Make a comfortable world not a hot one.

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:25 AM »
Well for me it is mainly because you can have many of them without having to pay for each running instance.

For instance I have an Eventide Eclipse which is a great little FX box but If I want to use it in a project I have to "print" the effect as I can only run 2 FX blocks on it at a time. With software plugins and a decently powerful computer all I have to do is add another instance of a plugin and I can keep the track "Live" allowing me to easily adjust parameters.

Plugins that run on hardware are a little different, I use some great UAD plugins as well but am limited by the horsepower on my Apollo Duo which limits the number of instances I can run, the only way out of this is to buy more UAD hardware :(

The other side is of course that plugins like the SoundToys ones are amazing, if they sold them as hardware boxes they would cause a storm.

For playing live as a guitar player (which I don't do much nowadays) I have a setup with a Helix, Mod Duo and recently added an ATG-1 (replacing a GP10). I don't think I would go anywhere near computer software for this sort of thing.

The interesting thing about this setup is everything you hear is artificial, created and affected by microprocessors. I Don't even need any normal pickups on the guitar or have to lug an amp around. 

Helix: http://uk.line6.com/helix/helix-floor-rack.html
Mod Duo: http://moddevices.com
ATG-1: http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=ATG-1_Floor_Processor_1

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:16 AM »
Can someone explain to the uninitiated why you wouldn't consider software options for things like reverb, chorus and flange - as opposed to the discussed effects pedals.

Is it the character & hands on tactile control element?

I work as a software engineer by day–so I try, as best as possible, not to be distracted by a computer screen when I'm in the zone. Audio interface latency is also something well worth avoiding.

But it is incredibly hard not to be tempted by a high-end Live setup, which I am tempted to implement using a 4K TV and a fast-enough AMD-based PC, when the time comes....

Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000