Vintage Knob affects some patches more than others.

Vintage Knob affects some patches more than others.
« on: January 28, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »
I've found a lot of cases in my own programming as well as factory patches, the vintage knob can have almost no effect on the character of the sound.  But other times it's crazy wild.

I'm not sure where the vintage knob is focusing it's detuning and envelope randomness efforts, but let's just take factory patch #111.  The knob has almost zero effect on the sound; octaves, scales, nor chords.  No playing style is affected in any "sloppy" way when the knob is set to rev1.  My friend and I went back and forth doing A/B comparisons of the vintage knob setting at 1 or 4 on patch #111.  We could rarely tell, when looking away.  We'd guess and be wrong half the time on where the knob was clocked.

But take factory patch #137.  Crank the vintage knob to the max (rev1) and it's a wounded animal.

I'd say on the majority of patches, my vintage knob isn't affecting the sound in any meaningful way.  Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Edit - I created a quick low quality YouTube video to illustrate.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:59:39 PM by station2station »
Oberheim TVS 1a | Antonus 2600 | Sequential Prophet 10 | DSI Tempest | Roland RD-2000 | Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe

Re: Vintage Knob affects some patches more than others.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 03:36:31 AM »
It was difficult to hear due to the sound but I’m familiar with my P5 rev 4 and can recall to how the two presets sounds like.

My theory after heard the to examples: The 111 is already very detuned, opened filter, long ringing EG, complex and pretty much wobbly. The 137 is the opposite so there is more space for more art effects. I’ll guess the Vintage knob is more obvious to less complex sound and vice versa as it adds differences.

I have never heard a wounded duck but guess it will sound like 137 rev 1 ;)

Re: Vintage Knob affects some patches more than others.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:01:10 PM »
I believe there are multiple variables here to consider to try to answer your question.

Consider that the "Vintage" amount is stored along with patch memory. Some patches have more vintage already applied than others.

Also, consider what vintage does; changes envelop responses, detunes oscillators, filters, etc. Some patches have more of the effect applied when you have a more pronounced envelope and filter responses. Ex. Patches with a filter completely closed, you won't be able to tell the little nuances with it as opposed to a snappy env, with an open filter...

Not sure if that made any sense, but if you want to see an extreme example, create a unison patch with all voices enabled with high filter res and filter envelop. It is madness.