Question about vintage knob on OB-6

Question about vintage knob on OB-6
« on: January 28, 2021, 01:20:03 AM »
The original Detune was dual purpose for slop and in Unison mode was fixed amount(per the dial) of detune of the voices....

with the vintage knob do you lose Unison detune?  I'm confused....if it's the same vintage knob as the P5....does the OB-6 lose it's detune in unison mode?

Reading the manual for the P5 I see there's unison detune by holding unison and selecting program numbers...does the OB-6 really lose Unison Detune?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:23:15 AM by John01W »

Re: Question about vintage knob on OB-6
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 12:52:47 PM »
Nothing is lost. You get a new page of global parameters for mpe functions and also to turn Vintage on and off. When vintage is set to off, you get the original detune behavior.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »
Nothing is lost. You get a new page of global parameters for mpe functions and also to turn Vintage on and off. When vintage is set to off, you get the original detune behavior.

So the answer is YES, you lose Unison Detune with vintage mode on.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:31:47 PM by John01W »

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 01:52:52 PM »

It appears to work differently on the OB-6 and the P6.   

On the OB-6 with vintage mode ON, the vintage effect is heard on chords but increasing unison Detune does nothing when you turn Unison on.  You can of course get a detuned effect by detuning OSC2.

On the P6 with vintage mode ON, the vintage effect is heard both in chords and unison when the Slop knob is turned, and as expected the unison default slop sounds different from the vintage unison slop.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 02:09:08 PM »

On the OB-6 with vintage mode ON, the vintage effect is heard on chords but increasing unison Detune does nothing when you turn Unison on.  You can of course get a detuned effect by detuning OSC2.

On the P6 with vintage mode ON, the vintage effect is heard both in chords and unison when the Slop knob is turned, and as expected the unison default slop sounds different from the vintage unison slop.
The original slop/detune function was dual purpose.....in poly mode it was slop....but in unison mode it was detune.....the P5 maintains unison detune with the vintage knob by having the UNISON detune in fixed amounts when holding the unison button and pressing the program numbers(vintage knob + unison detune on the P5).

So while I think the vintage knob is probably functionally the same for the P6/OB-6....they both lose their UNISON detune when vintage mode is on.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:16:05 PM by John01W »

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 03:43:13 PM »

The original slop/detune function was dual purpose.....in poly mode it was slop....but in unison mode it was detune.....the P5 maintains unison detune with the vintage knob by having the UNISON detune in fixed amounts when holding the unison button and pressing the program numbers(vintage knob + unison detune on the P5).

So while I think the vintage knob is probably functionally the same for the P6/OB-6....they both lose their UNISON detune when vintage mode is on.

Yes, I believe you're correct, I was trying to do too many things at once during the first test and for whatever reason was getting nothing changing at all when turning Detune on OB6.. very possible I left the global button on or something.
Anyway, there may be multiple ways to interpret "losing unison detune", so to clarify what I think a prior poster may have meant is either than unison detune can still be selected (is mutually exclusive from vintage functionality).  When in unison, the vintage functionally still results in a detuning effect to the unison voices - just a different range of tone. 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:44:45 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
Strange, Because on my OB6 Desktop, the Detune knob (Vintage Mode On) works in Unison mode also.

To test this, I've made sure that the Vintage Mode was On (pressing Bank Select+Globals and then number 4) first, then selected Init Patch (pressing Manual+Write), and turning Unison On (with 6 voices), and turned up the Detune knob. And sure enough, the oscillators of the 6 voices were detuned.
Although not quite as much as with the Vintage Mode turned Off. But detuned nonetheless.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 03:59:06 PM »
Strange, Because on my OB6 Desktop, the Detune knob (Vintage Mode On) works in Unison mode also.

To test this, I've made sure that the Vintage Mode was On (pressing Bank Select+Globals and then number 4) first, then selected Init Patch (pressing Manual+Write), and turning Unison On (with 6 voices), and turned up the Detune knob. And sure enough, the oscillators of the 6 voices were detuned.
Although not quite as much as with the Vintage Mode turned Off. But detuned nonetheless.

This is what I found in a proper test too.  The first test was null and void.  My girlfriend and I have this unwritten agreement that I'm not to be disturbed when I'm in the studio worshipping at the alter of synths, but policies have been flexible lately with stress brought on by friend's health and we were conversing as I was trying to do the detune test...  Whatever was causing the OB6 to not detune with vintage mode on before, was certainly my fault and not the synths.  I'm getting more distraction prone in my old age :)

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »

This is what I found in a proper test too.  The first test was null and void.  My girlfriend and I have this unwritten agreement that I'm not to be disturbed when I'm in the studio worshipping at the alter of synths, but policies have been flexible lately with stress brought on by friend's health and we were conversing as I was trying to do the detune test...  Whatever was causing the OB6 to not detune with vintage mode on before, was certainly my fault and not the synths.  I'm getting more distraction prone in my old age :)

;D ;)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 07:32:18 AM »
I wonder if perhaps it may have been preferable to have the vintage mode only apply when unison is off, though I guess having mismatched envelope timings on a unison patch could also be a pretty cool effect.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 02:57:17 PM »
I wonder if perhaps it may have been preferable to have the vintage mode only apply when unison is off, though I guess having mismatched envelope timings on a unison patch could also be a pretty cool effect.

NO, don't do that haha....Unison is probably the most important for vintage mode......it's how you get those unison filter sweeps to have that classic character....it's how you get it closer to "that" sound...and it does it beautifully......there's some clips of someone doing the OB Tom Sawyer Unison filter sweep on Gearslutz with the vintage knob and it was like...."THERE IT IS"  the missing ingredient....thought the OB-6 has awesome unison filter sweeps with the original detune...the vintage knob just gives it that filter envelope variance that brings out the character of the sound like the OB-X.....it's VERY awesome....

DO NOT change vintage mode for unison in the OB-6 lol...however adding the cool detune function while in vintage mode like the P5 would be nice....

I must say, that reading this thread I do NOT want to seem like I take for granted what Sequential has done for this synth....I SO MUCH appreciate this upgrade...THANK YOU all at Sequential.....

Now there is room for per program switching between vintage mode/original detune....or perhaps adding the detune like the P5 when in vintage mode....but in NO WAY do I take for granted what Sequential has done here.....they have delivered for their costumers and knocked it out of the part.

Go on gearsluts and listen to that clip of the Sawyer sweep with the vintage knob....it's like "there it is!"  Awesome.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:01:11 PM by John01W »