Mac Not Recognizing Prophet 6 over USB

Mac Not Recognizing Prophet 6 over USB
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:40:10 AM »
Hello!

I am running Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 and cannot get my Mac to acknowledge the existence of my Prophet 6 via USB MIDI.  It used to work just fine and I'm not sure what happened.  My computer happily works with a Nord Electro 6 and a Minimoog.  I wanted to update the software on my Prophet, but Sysex Librarian doesn't list that instrument as an option.  Before you ask, I have the MIDI port in globals set as USB and tried several cables :-)

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what can I do?

Thanks!

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: Mac Not Recognizing Prophet 6 over USB
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:57:02 AM »
Reach out to Sequential tech support regarding the USB issue, and meanwhile try the update via DIN MIDI using any generic USB DIN interface is all I can think of at the moment.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 06:11:40 AM »
Is your usb cable plugged directly into the Mac or are you using a usb hub? For some, hubs cause problems with connecting to outboard equipment.

I had a similar problem with a Korg Prologue last year. At first my Mac and it talked to each other and then ... not, for no apparent reason. My solution was to do the updates with a Windows laptop. At least, with the Prophet you have the option of updating via the midi port, as studiodc suggested. This is the way I do it.

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

GM

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
I have this issue and after speaking to the excellent support guys, I have to send it off to be repaired - dead USB connector. Seems to be fairly common

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »
"Fairly common"? I'd like to see some supporting evidence for that claim.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...