question about modulation with foot pedals

question about modulation with foot pedals
« on: January 26, 2021, 07:00:05 PM »
in the modulation sources menu, there is an option called foot pedal which comes right before the expression pedal option. there is also a mod slot that is hardwired for something called midi foot switch. are these the same thing, and what kind of footpedal and what control change number is being modulated?

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: question about modulation with foot pedals
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
My Rev2 has a "Pedal/CV" jack, a "sustain" jack, and a "sequencer" jack. If you look in the manual on page 18 it lists the options you can assign the pedal to modulate.

In the mod matrix foot pedal is cc#4 and expression is cc#11. Depending on what you've assigned your pedal/cv expression pedal input to, it may be one of these or something else entirely.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 07:11:18 AM »
I was hoping that it would allow me to assign one of the other foot pedals to another modulation destination, But apparently, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, it only works on the pedal/CV jack and whatever that is assigned to.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 07:15:21 AM »
Only one of the jacks will accept a continuously modifiable pedal - the other two are on/off switches only and thus not usable as a modulation source.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »
when I use MIDI with my Rev 2 and Yamaha Tyros 5, The expression pedal connected to the Tyros 5 Will also work on the Rev 2 when that pedal is assigned to expression on the Tyros 5. Perhaps if I could get the Tyros 5 to send The control change message for breath or a foot switch to the Rev 2, then I could use one of my other pedals as another modulation source for the Rev 2. I don't know if this is possible on the Tyros 5, But it's worth giving it a try.. if anybody else has any ideas for creating other modulation paths through MIDI please post them here. I have plenty of mod slots but not enough controllers to assign them to.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:38:31 AM »
Yes, any MIDI source for those CCs will work as an additional mod source - so you've got Foot (CC#4), Expression (CC#11), Mod wheel (CC #1), and Breath (CC#2) as potentially useful inputs. Some of these even have fixed mod slots so you don't take up any of the 8 user-definable slots for your first routing.

There exist MIDI foot pedals too, which you might look into, and controllers which can accept one or more standard foot pedals and translate them to CCs. There are many options. The Prophet 12 supports 2 continuously variable foot pedals, but the Rev2 only supports 1, so the only way for you to get additional modulation into the Rev2 is via MIDI. Of course that can be from a sequencer, a DAW, or whatever source of CC you want, really. No need to limit yourself to foot pedals unless that's the specific interface you desire.

But CC modulation isn't really directly related to foot pedals on the Rev2, except that they can be a source of the CC value in some cases, with external hardware.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
I may get me a Yamaha MFC-10 foot controller. I've heard that they work really well with the Tyros 5. then I could use the hardwired mod slots on the Rev 2 and assign a couple of them to additional petals on the MFC-10. I would rather use foot pedals or an XY pad for my additional mod sources.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »
I just discovered a little trick today that solves my problem. i'm running my expression pedal via midi from my other keyboard, and the foot assign parameter in the global menu on the Rev 2 does not affect the pedals I am running through midi. I currently have nothing connected to the expression pedal jack on the Rev 2, But now I can assign that Jack to something like breath and still use my other pedal for expression. I successfully did it today with one of my other petals. I didn't realize that I had that other mod path available.