Odd MPE Behavior with Prophet 6 1.6.6 and Live 11

Odd MPE Behavior with Prophet 6 1.6.6 and Live 11
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:29:27 PM »
I've noticed odd MPE behavior with the 1.6.3 and 1.6.6 beta firmwares with Live 11.

I have a Roli Lumi Keys and a Roli Seaboard which are both MPE controllers. When I setup my P6 and Ableton in MPE mode the Prophet doesn't always play notes when I press a key. If I press the same key say 10 times in a row it'll sometimes play and sometimes be silent. It actually does it in a pattern that I figured out. 5 plays, 1 silent, 1 play, 8 silent [repeat].

The way I've got Live 11 setup is:

Roli hooked up via USB and turned on in Ableton Midi settings (and configured as an MPE device)
A empty midi track routed externally to my P6 Desktop via USB:
Midi From: All Channels
Midi To: Prophet 6 [MPE]

In the P6 I've got the Midi Channel config set to MPE.

Whats odd about this is when I open Logic and just play my controller the odd behavior is gone (but its hard to test out if MPE is fully working for me)

Here's a screenshot of my Ableton settings:

Re: Odd MPE Behavior with Prophet 6 1.6.6 and Live 11
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 01:16:45 AM »
Normal MPE settings are to have Ch1 global and 2-16 as notes ... but P-6 only using 2-7 for notes for its 6 voices. I needed to set my Linnstrument to use only channels 2-7 accordingly, then dropped notes disappeared ... I haven't got my Roli out to try yet, but I'll assume I need to do the same thing ... I don't have the 11 Beta to know what they've done there ...

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
I have the same issue, I read somewhere that Ableton cycles through all the midi channels 2-16 when sending MPE, and it's not even fixable with whatever controller you are using because ableton will still do its thing. Haven't found a solution for that yet, I believe Ableton's forums is the right place to ask though

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 11:42:51 AM »
I have the same issue, I read somewhere that Ableton cycles through all the midi channels 2-16 when sending MPE, and it's not even fixable with whatever controller you are using because ableton will still do its thing. Haven't found a solution for that yet, I believe Ableton's forums is the right place to ask though

It's still a problem now that Live 11 is out of beta. Typical Ableton, unfortunately :( I don't understand why they insist on actively rewriting our midi, but I doubt there's anything Sequential could do about it.

Pym

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 08:18:32 PM »
I brought it to their attention during the beta period, it is a larger fix than they could do before release

It's still a problem now that Live 11 is out of beta. Typical Ableton, unfortunately :( I don't understand why they insist on actively rewriting our midi, but I doubt there's anything Sequential could do about it.
Sequential

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 03:46:30 PM »
I brought it to their attention during the beta period, it is a larger fix than they could do before release

Hi, glad to hear they're aware of it. I'm unfamiliar with the MPE spec, but is it expected that MPE sources offer the ability to limit their channel range? I wasn't sure if the requirement was put onto sources or sinks.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack