Rev 1/2 vs rev 3 filter volume

Rev 1/2 vs rev 3 filter volume
« on: January 24, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »
Hey,

I noticed my rev 1/2 filter setting isn't as loud as when I set it to rev 3. The 1/2 seems approximately -3dB volume..

Is anyone else experiencing this?  :o

I hope nothing is wrong with mine.  :-\

Cheers,
echoloch

Korg Mono/Poly, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Buchla Music Easel

S_A_P

Re: Rev 1/2 vs rev 3 filter volume
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »
I dont know if I would say the difference is volume related as much as the Rev 3 is brighter while the Rev 1/2 is more of a darker tone. I guess it would depend on where you hear the 3db difference?

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:16:55 AM »
I dont know if I would say the difference is volume related as much as the Rev 3 is brighter while the Rev 1/2 is more of a darker tone. I guess it would depend on where you hear the 3db difference?

It is not only noticeable by ear but I can see it on my interface input volume.

I guess I could post a sample on soundcloud.

EDIT: sample https://soundcloud.com/echoloch/rev1-23
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:28:56 AM by echoloch »

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 06:09:06 AM »
Have you already patched the OS to 1.2.0?   

If so and it's still doing this, I would send support a note.  I don't get a volume difference like that between the two filters.

I find the difference heard on each filter type depends largely on the type of sound, but to me the Rev 1/2 filter tends to sound a little brighter due to the more linear nature of the envelope.  The Rev 3 filter is more logarithmic than linear, which rounds off the high frequencies more abruptly, rather than filtering on a more gradual slope.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:55:53 PM »
Have you already patched the OS to 1.2.0?   

If so and it's still doing this, I would send support a note.  I don't get a volume difference like that between the two filters.

I find the difference heard on each filter type depends largely on the type of sound, but to me the Rev 1/2 filter tends to sound a little brighter due to the more linear nature of the envelope.  The Rev 3 filter is more logarithmic than linear, which rounds off the high frequencies more abruptly, rather than filtering on a more gradual slope.

Yes, I updated the OS as soon as I received mine. I used MIDI-OX and it went smoothly as far as I could tell...

Maybe I should try to update it again before I shoot Andy a message?

Anyways, thanks you two for the input!

cheers,
echoloch
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:10:49 PM by echoloch »

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 04:25:20 PM »
I've found the same... I am not sure but i think it may have been improved a bit between pre 1.2 and post 1.2. It was jarring before now It sounds more like a difference in filters as opposed to a massive drop off. I would be surprised if there wasn't a change in 1.2 that had addressed that and I am just not noticing it as much now. .... I almost wanna downgrade to double check my mind set to be sure I am not talking out my booty.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:22:55 PM »
I've found the same... I am not sure but i think it may have been improved a bit between pre 1.2 and post 1.2. It was jarring before now It sounds more like a difference in filters as opposed to a massive drop off. I would be surprised if there wasn't a change in 1.2 that had addressed that and I am just not noticing it as much now. .... I almost wanna downgrade to double check my mind set to be sure I am not talking out my booty.

After toggling between filters with the presets I've concluded there is nothing wrong with mine. It seems the volume difference is dependent on the particular sound/ patch you are going for. I love how you get both filters.. it really gives the rev 4 this ying yang, dark side, light side vibe.  8)

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 06:56:25 PM »
I've updated to 1.5 from 1.2 and this problem has ceased, though it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes. It was a  very pronounced issue for my P10 before.

kyps

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 12:12:12 PM »
Hi guys,
I just got my p10, I just have a question,

Is that normal that when you make an unit patch you can have a « higher »sound about the filter when you turn on the « enveloppe amount » ?

Is that normal ?

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 10:13:00 AM »
Hi guys,

Is that normal that when you make an unit patch you can have a « higher »sound about the filter when you turn on the « enveloppe amount » ?

Is that normal ?

Yes, that’s totally normal.

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 10:24:04 AM »
Hi guys,

Is that normal that when you make an unit patch you can have a « higher »sound about the filter when you turn on the « enveloppe amount » ?

Is that normal ?

Yes, that’s totally normal.

It's a bit different than most other synths, which seem to generally init patch with filter wide open.  I assume it's because the original P5 had this characteristics.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC