Acoustic Piano VST

chysn

Acoustic Piano VST
« on: January 23, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »
Can anybody recommend an acoustic piano VST that they love? Mostly, I want a multi-sampled grand piano with velocity-based zones, with an emphasis on quality over multiple pianos and features.

It needs to sit in a mix nicely with Pro 3, but that's not your problem.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
Re: Acoustic Piano VST
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »
Pianoteq is IMO by far the best.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 06:39:04 PM »
You might look at Keyscape.. this vid is not about acoustic sounds, but a blind test that turns out in favor of software, coming from a company that makes most of their money selling hardware, wins big credibility points (Jack is great).

Supposedly Keyscape has good acoustic piano as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSamnzXl5J8
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 03:06:58 PM »
I'll second studiodc’s recommendation of Modartt’s Pianoteq, physically modeled instead of sampled. Try out the demo. The main limitation of the demo is having 8 notes disabled and needing a restart after 20 minutes.

If you're set on the sampled side, a number of folk I know like and record with the Ravenscroft 275 (same name of the piano they sampled). I played it at NAMM a while back using the Ravensworks Digital Studio keyboard controller (a customized Kawai VPC1). That combo was quite sweet, especially in terms of dynamic control. I keep sticking with Pianoteq instead of obtaining Ravenscroft 275, though.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

chysn

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 05:24:07 PM »
Thank you for these recommendations!

As I delved into VST pianos, I realized that I simply do not have the disk space for a really good sampled piano. I had no idea that Pianoteq even existed, and it (1) sounds excellent and (2) takes literally 1000 times less space than sampled pianos. So this is probably going to be the one for me.

I'll get two instrument packs with purchase, so I'll spend quite a bit of time this week evaluating which ones I want. Who am I kidding, it's going to be the Hamburg Steinway D and something else. Probably the upright pack. That "ruined" upright really takes me back to my grandma's house.

Incidentally, playing a VST piano really puts an exclamation point on the quality of the Pro 3's key bed. It's short, but it's precise.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:27:01 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 07:53:08 PM »
This is an fun topic. Some years ago, I spent a fair bit of time playing around with recording piano pieces. I am not much of a pianist, but I had a lot of fun with it. At that time I ended up buying Synthogy Ivory (wound up with their grand piano trilogy and then the Italian grand). In just the last couple of months I’ve started to start trying to record some things again. Out of curiosity, I pulled my Ivory discs off the shelf and managed to get them installed and working again after dusting off the old iLok hardware key. I was using them on a windows 7 machine back then. And now on a MacBook.

And all that pointless background is really for nothing. But after all these years, those sampled grands still sound pretty good. And some of the recordings from them still sound decent. It has gotten me interested in seeing what is the state of the art now. The Pianoteq software seems interesting. In the past (but that was years ago) the modeled pianos sounded pretty awful to me. I would imagine that it has gotten much better in recent years. 

I found what seems like a potentially useful comparison of some of these on Sweetwater:  https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/virtual-piano-shootout-sound-samples/

It is a couple years old. I suspect the sampled pianos haven’t changed much since then, but maybe the modeled ones have. It’s a fun comparison in any case.

chysn

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »
Thanks for that link, I love a good shootout!

Yes, modeling has gotten good. I would not have been able to tell that the Pianoteq was a modeled instrument by just listening to it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
Even if you get pianoteq keep an open mind to keyscape, it has to be the most impressive selection of sampled keyboards, combined with omnisphere it is just magical.

chysn

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:57 PM »
Even if you get pianoteq keep an open mind to keyscape, it has to be the most impressive selection of sampled keyboards, combined with omnisphere it is just magical.

Yes, Keyscape is very well-regarded, but I've got 37GB left on my hard drive, which is basically Keyscape's minimum requirement.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »
I wound up purchasing Pianoteq with the Steinway D and upright instrument packs. Between this, an Ableton upgrade, and Serum, I'm going to have spent a fortune on music software this year.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 03:47:23 PM »
Can anybody recommend an acoustic piano VST that they love? Mostly, I want a multi-sampled grand piano with velocity-based zones, with an emphasis on quality over multiple pianos and features.

It needs to sit in a mix nicely with Pro 3, but that's not your problem.

Synthogy Ivory II American Grand

Garritan CFX Lite.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 01:36:53 PM »

Yes, Keyscape is very well-regarded, but I've got 37GB left on my hard drive, which is basically Keyscape's minimum requirement.

You need one of these :
https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/portable-ssd/portable-ssd-t5-1tb-black-mu-pa1t0b-eu/

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »
I wound up purchasing Pianoteq with the Steinway D and upright instrument packs. Between this, an Ableton upgrade, and Serum, I'm going to have spent a fortune on music software this year.

I didn't want to do it - and I ain't done it yet - but I think I'm gonna order those same two packs. It was the upright selection that really grabbed me. The Monk piano, amongst. I'm trying to re-create a few of my ancient teenage home recordings, and the Pianoteq collection had the right charm.

chysn

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 02:06:40 PM »

I didn't want to do it - and I ain't done it yet - but I think I'm gonna order those same two packs. It was the upright selection that really grabbed me. The Monk piano, amongst. I'm trying to re-create a few of my ancient teenage home recordings, and the Pianoteq collection had the right charm.

I'm happy with my picks. I struggled to hear enough difference between the various grands to get two of them, but the uprights add a ton of variety.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 06:16:24 PM »
Glad you're liking it! My Nord Stage does piano perfectly well for me, but if I didn't have it, I'd have Pianoteq too. And a good set of uprights is wonderful to complement synths - I play them as much or more than the big grands. Especially the slightly wonky ones.

chysn

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 08:13:57 PM »

You need one of these :
https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/portable-ssd/portable-ssd-t5-1tb-black-mu-pa1t0b-eu/

I've got several terabyte external drives for backups. My main challenge is that I need to get organized with respect to the tens of thousands of photos in Lightroom.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 08:37:56 AM »

I'm happy with my picks. I struggled to hear enough difference between the various grands to get two of them, but the uprights add a ton of variety.

Hey chysn - curious if you've checked out the CP-80, which looks like it's included amongst the free instruments that come with a purchase. 

chysn

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »
Hey chysn - curious if you've checked out the CP-80, which looks like it's included amongst the free instruments that come with a purchase.

No! It's not in my preset list. Then again, I bought the somewhat-lowlier Stage Edition, so it might not have all the goodies.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »

No! It's not in my preset list. Then again, I bought the somewhat-lowlier Stage Edition, so it might not have all the goodies.

There's a page with free downloads for all versions here: https://www.modartt.com/free_stuff

chysn

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »

There's a page with free downloads for all versions here: https://www.modartt.com/free_stuff

Thank you! It's always awesome to find out that I have even more pianos than I thought!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his