Gear : Music : Life : Death ... random meanderings

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Gear : Music : Life : Death ... random meanderings
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
I believe that one of the biggest perils of GAS is that it can condition us to feel uninspired unless we have something new and shiny, and one gets used to that cycle, it can be an expensive cycle to keep up with.  I think there is such a thing as fleeting or temporary creativity inspired by introducing something new into our environment that makes us want to learn or explore it.  And then there is (a perhaps more genuine form) of creativity that emerges when we push ourselves (or something else pushes us) out of our comfort zone.  If we condition ourselves to the temporary rush that comes with GAS, it's like any other addiction... its too easy to end up pursuing the feeling we get from acquiring something new rather than pursuing the internal satisfaction of music creation.

I totally agree with you on this.  The excitement provides a brief inspiration, but it fades with the newness of the instrument.  Thus, the need to repeatedly inject such a passing inspiration with multiple purchases.  So different from this is the inspiration that a devoted artist knows and acts on with self-discipline and long hours of hard work.  That's a personal goal - the long hours of hard working creating beauty that edifies.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:22:10 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 11:06:50 AM »
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 11:53:55 AM »
The friend I mentioned in my original post has since died; it was known he was terminal, but life expectancy estimates were between 6-12 months, so the timing was unexpected and jarring.  Every time I lose someone, something irreplaceable chips away and falls from me, but I suppose that is a natural consequence of aging.  On the bright side of things, he didn't die alone, he went quickly and with zero suffering, which would not have been the case with extended treatment.

I'm sorry for that, and I'm glad he didn't suffer long.  I guess this was a bad day to have this cold and analytical discussion.  Sorry.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
The friend I mentioned in my original post has since died; it was known he was terminal, but life expectancy estimates were between 6-12 months, so the timing was unexpected and jarring.  Every time I lose someone, something irreplaceable chips away and falls from me, but I suppose that is a natural consequence of aging.  On the bright side of things, he didn't die alone, he went quickly and with zero suffering, which would not have been the case with extended treatment.

Very sorry to hear this, hope you're ok. It's good to hear your friend wasn't alone and wasn't suffering in the end.

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 03:28:46 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, I'm fine and weathering it like all of life's storms... stressful events like this don't do great things for the quality of my sleep, but all things get better with time and synthesizers are the best form of escapism I'm aware of.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jg666

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 03:58:34 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, I'm fine and weathering it like all of life's storms... stressful events like this don't do great things for the quality of my sleep, but all things get better with time and synthesizers are the best form of escapism I'm aware of.

Condolences from me too. Glad you’ve got your synths to keep your mind occupied :)

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 04:54:21 PM »
On a lighter note... Chysn,   you getting a commission on wearing that shirt? 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

chysn

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »

Can you believe it? I had to pay for it!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

jg666

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 02:12:19 AM »

LOL I want one!! Problem is, I doubt they'd ship to the UK and even more of a problem is that I doubt they make them big enough to fit a fat old git like me  ;D
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jok3r

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 08:17:50 AM »

LOL I want one!! Problem is, I doubt they'd ship to the UK and even more of a problem is that I doubt they make them big enough to fit a fat old git like me  ;D

Same here... located in Germany and pretty much oversized ;) ... I would love a shirt like this. There are t-shirt shops out there that sell Sequential-style shirts, but those are not originals and I don't even know if this is legal. Perhaps they use a slightly other font?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jg666

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 09:22:28 AM »

Same here... located in Germany and pretty much oversized ;) ... I would love a shirt like this. There are t-shirt shops out there that sell Sequential-style shirts, but those are not originals and I don't even know if this is legal. Perhaps they use a slightly other font?

I’m surprised that the B company doesn’t make them... for half the price but they fall apart after a couple of washes ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 09:44:10 AM »
I’m surprised that the B company doesn’t make them... for half the price but they fall apart after a couple of washes ;)

And then if you complain about your Bequential shirt on a clothing forum, they sue you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:46:32 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »

And then if you complain about your Bequential shirt on a clothing forum, they sue you.

How true  ;D

jg666

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »
I'd like to apologise to everyone for me being short tempered recently. All this lockdown business is taking it's toll on me! I can go a few days without talking to another person as there's only me in the house and it gets to me. It's been like this since last March but hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel :)

No excuse I know, but hopefully an explanation.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »
Yes, you seemed a bit on edge, but that's perfectly understandable.  We all have our bad days, so no hard feelings. 

jg666

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »
Yes, you seemed a bit on edge, but that's perfectly understandable.  We all have our bad days, so no hard feelings.

Cheers. It's made worse by the fact that I suffer a bit from SAD and this time of year is usually not good for me. It's been sunny for a change here today and supposed to be tomorrow too, so I might be able to get outside and do some garden work. That usually cheers me up and makes me think life is worth living again :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2021, 12:03:41 PM »
Is "SAD" an acronym?

jg666

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 12:11:07 PM »
Is "SAD" an acronym?

Yes (see below). I put it down to the much shorter daylight hours we have during the winter months.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern.

SAD is sometimes known as "winter depression" because the symptoms are usually more apparent and more severe during the winter.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 12:22:25 PM »
Oh.  I guess I'm immune to SAD, because I love New England's winters, snow, cold weather, and long nights.  Maybe you should get some nice warm clothing and start taking regular long walks.  I find they always cheer me up.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:25:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »
Oh.  I guess I'm immune to SAD, because I love New England's winters, snow, cold weather, and long nights.  Maybe you should get some nice warm clothing and start taking regular long walks.  I find they always cheer me up.

Honestly I do when the weather allows but mostly over here it’s dull and rainy on the whole in the Winter. We recently had a cold snap and I was out every day enjoying the cold conditions, but we tend to get that damp sort of cold here tha creeps into your bones when you’re out in it.

I’d prefer to be in a country with proper winters :)