Gear : Music : Life : Death ... random meanderings

LPF83

Gear : Music : Life : Death ... random meanderings
« on: January 19, 2021, 05:23:51 PM »
One of the things that sucks about getting into your 40s, 50s and beyond is that increasingly, friends and family start dying off.  Even sometimes the death of folks you don't know well can affect you when the news reaches you.... a coworker, current or former.  Maybe an online contact you had a friendship with but never met in person.

I had an experience about a decade ago, where a friend who was also into music fell ill with cancer.  During his treatment, when he still wasn't sure how things were going to go, he started purchasing all of the hardware gear he had previously talked himself out of buying, and building his dream studio..  He barely had time to listen to all the presets of one synth before he was adding another.  As things became more grim, all he wanted was to escape the hospital and get back to his studio.  I remember being in mine, and literally feeling guilty while making music...guilty that I couldn't just go and be his substitute for a while to buy him some music making time.  It really hit home and impacted me permanently, because I realized, that if I found out I was dying, this is probably what I would want to spend a good portion of my time doing on the way out.  No doubt I would want to also spend as many moments with my girlfriend and family as I could, but they say when you're dying there is a natural tendency to gravitate away from social connections as part of preparing for departure from the physical world.

Since that experience, I've lost other friends, and noticed that while sick, the ones that are musicians almost always prioritize music higher than they would if their health was not in question.  There is something there.

I'm mentioning this now in part because it's happened again, I recently learned I'm losing yet another friend to cancer.  But beyond that, I just realized that in new synths and studio related improvements, I spent quite a bit of money during the span of this pandemic; far more than I ever have in a single year.  I've had a rotation of hardware in and out over the years, but never really splurged like this before. 

To be honest I wish I had placed a little higher priority on music gear in general, and making time to be a better musician/producer etc. a long time ago.  I started in the 80s, but because music was never my professional calling, I always found a reason to deprioritize spending time on it...  the kinds of rationalizations were the gear is so expensive, what if I have a home or car repair emergency and regret the purchase, what if its buggy or I get bored with it, or convincing myself plugins sound just as good, or whatever.   I just always seemed to talk myself out of what I really wanted.

Maybe I should be thankful for the COVID pandemic, because it made me realize I don't want to wait until I have a few months to live to start actually LIVING.  When my time does come, I'd rather be able to say I minimized my regrets by doing the things I really wanted to do (and here's the key), for the duration that I chose to do them.  I did not want to be sitting there in a hospital bed wondering why I short-circuited my own passions?  I've loved music and synths in particular since I was a toddler and I first listened to them in amazement on my parents radio, and wondered at how a particular sound was made.  If anything, I'm somewhat ashamed I didn't pursue my passion more doggedly when I was younger.

Just a thought I wanted to share.  I'm not suggesting anyone go out and accumulate a lot of debt buying gear they can't afford, or just to feed the all-too-common G.A.S.  But, if you're like I was, be aware that being too frugal sometimes just ain't living, and you don't want to wait until someone tells you you're dying to start really living.   Even when you are old and frail, those memories of when you were living right will be extremely valuable.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:25:32 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Gear : Music : Life : Death ... random meanderings
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 07:36:55 PM »
I appreciate you sharing all this. I'm sorry that you've another friend ill. I'm days away from the anniversary of the death of my best friend of 31 years. I actually inherited the PolySix I sold her wayyy back when I decided to buy a D-50. The cycles of life and death are indeed loaded with synths. I'm not being facetious either - since Janet died, I've been thinking much about what to keep, what to let go of. The band leader of the French group I sing for is very ill, too.
His English isn't great and I didn't understand how serious his health problems were until they recurred last year. And just to push this theme further, he and I met when we took part in a tribute record for a mutual friend, a musical hero to us both, who died a few years back. Life is so fragile and we're lucky to have music in our lives. Luckier to have dear people to share it with.

I want to add - I appreciate this group for its realness. Once in a while there might be a moment of attempted GSism, but overall, there's respect and sensitivity and care on display here.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 09:27:19 PM »
Last year I spent $5000 on physical media (blu rays, dvds, vinyl etc) because I realized that it is absolutely futile to save money for the sake of saving money.

After my father passed last year we found close to 10 albums worth of music that he never released. He always kept telling me "You only have so much money." I realized he was completely wrong. What he should have said was "You only have so much time."

Right now I have close to $8000 in taxes I need to pay, $4000 for first and last for rent for a new place....and yet....I'm still going to buy more gear because I realized G.A.S. is not so much an investment into "stuff" but it's an investment into my mental health and happiness.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 10:19:26 AM »
What he should have said was "You only have so much time."

Very true! Time is the ultimate resource, and in the end, it's worth so much more than money. One of my little hobbies is learning about longevity. A great deal has been learned about it over the last decade, and there are good reasons to think that humans will continue to extend our life spans as well as our health-spans, once we get past the current pandemic.

Maybe I should be thankful for the COVID pandemic, because it made me realize I don't want to wait until I have a few months to live to start actually LIVING.  When my time does come, I'd rather be able to say I minimized my regrets by doing the things I really wanted to do (and here's the key), for the duration that I chose to do them.

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and accumulate a lot of debt buying gear they can't afford, or just to feed the all-too-common G.A.S.  But, if you're like I was, be aware that being too frugal sometimes just ain't living, and you don't want to wait until someone tells you you're dying to start really living.   Even when you are old and frail, those memories of when you were living right will be extremely valuable.

I love your post LPF83. It sometimes takes the reality of death to help us prioritize our lives. We're kind of wired to take the easy path of prioritizing our immediate comfort (numbing ourselves with substances and entertainment), rather than taking the harder path that leads to greater satisfaction. A lot of the struggle seems to be about balancing longer term goals with those of living as if today might be our last. I sometimes try to make decisions based on what I would do if I only had one year left to live.

It's kind of taboo to talk about money... But since we're being real, here is a significant statistic: Money is the #1 cause of stress for 8 out of 10 Americans. This isn't really surprising: Most of our ancestors did not have paper money, and they were so poor that they could never save for the future. If they did start to save too much, they would lose standing in their tribe, not to mention the reality of having their wealth stolen. The current need to save privately for retirement is also a relatively recent issue. We are wired to consume right now- not to delay gratification; therefore, following our gut usually leads to problems. It takes intentional rationality to save for the future and not spend more than we make... the two main factors that keep us from getting to the financial freedom that we all want to enjoy in our later years.

I've also spent more money on gear over the last ten months than normal; but I've also been playing a lot more and have reached more of my goals. It's worth mentioning again, as has been discussed numerous times here before, that psychologically, hanging out here with all of you means that I am more likely to go off and buy that Prophet 10 (for example), even though I don't need it to achieve any of my musical goals.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:26:43 AM by Jason »

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »
Last year I spent $5000 on physical media (blu rays, dvds, vinyl etc) because I realized that it is absolutely futile to save money for the sake of saving money.

After my father passed last year we found close to 10 albums worth of music that he never released. He always kept telling me "You only have so much money." I realized he was completely wrong. What he should have said was "You only have so much time."

Right now I have close to $8000 in taxes I need to pay, $4000 for first and last for rent for a new place....and yet....I'm still going to buy more gear because I realized G.A.S. is not so much an investment into "stuff" but it's an investment into my mental health and happiness.

I can't even fathom how much I might have spent on cassettes or albums back in the day, especially adjusted for inflation.  But looking back I don't regret any of it.  There are connections between all that music and memories of simpler times, and when I listen to those songs again those connections are reinforced.  And I'm not sure I could put a price on those.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 02:30:11 PM »
I appreciate you sharing all this. I'm sorry that you've another friend ill. I'm days away from the anniversary of the death of my best friend of 31 years. I actually inherited the PolySix I sold her wayyy back when I decided to buy a D-50. The cycles of life and death are indeed loaded with synths. I'm not being facetious either - since Janet died, I've been thinking much about what to keep, what to let go of. The band leader of the French group I sing for is very ill, too.
His English isn't great and I didn't understand how serious his health problems were until they recurred last year. And just to push this theme further, he and I met when we took part in a tribute record for a mutual friend, a musical hero to us both, who died a few years back. Life is so fragile and we're lucky to have music in our lives. Luckier to have dear people to share it with.

I want to add - I appreciate this group for its realness. Once in a while there might be a moment of attempted GSism, but overall, there's respect and sensitivity and care on display here.

That's amazing that you not only have a PolySix (I'd love to have one), but that it's also associated with a dear friend!

And to me this forum is kind of an oasis.  There are a lot of places I could find lots of heated debates about synths, but not as many places I am aware of with as many synth-passionate people that, for the most part and usually, get along.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 02:37:19 PM »
What he should have said was "You only have so much time."

Very true! Time is the ultimate resource, and in the end, it's worth so much more than money. One of my little hobbies is learning about longevity. A great deal has been learned about it over the last decade, and there are good reasons to think that humans will continue to extend our life spans as well as our health-spans, once we get past the current pandemic.

Maybe I should be thankful for the COVID pandemic, because it made me realize I don't want to wait until I have a few months to live to start actually LIVING.  When my time does come, I'd rather be able to say I minimized my regrets by doing the things I really wanted to do (and here's the key), for the duration that I chose to do them.

I'm not suggesting anyone go out and accumulate a lot of debt buying gear they can't afford, or just to feed the all-too-common G.A.S.  But, if you're like I was, be aware that being too frugal sometimes just ain't living, and you don't want to wait until someone tells you you're dying to start really living.   Even when you are old and frail, those memories of when you were living right will be extremely valuable.

I love your post LPF83. It sometimes takes the reality of death to help us prioritize our lives. We're kind of wired to take the easy path of prioritizing our immediate comfort (numbing ourselves with substances and entertainment), rather than taking the harder path that leads to greater satisfaction. A lot of the struggle seems to be about balancing longer term goals with those of living as if today might be our last. I sometimes try to make decisions based on what I would do if I only had one year left to live.

It's kind of taboo to talk about money... But since we're being real, here is a significant statistic: Money is the #1 cause of stress for 8 out of 10 Americans. This isn't really surprising: Most of our ancestors did not have paper money, and they were so poor that they could never save for the future. If they did start to save too much, they would lose standing in their tribe, not to mention the reality of having their wealth stolen. The current need to save privately for retirement is also a relatively recent issue. We are wired to consume right now- not to delay gratification; therefore, following our gut usually leads to problems. It takes intentional rationality to save for the future and not spend more than we make... the two main factors that keep us from getting to the financial freedom that we all want to enjoy in our later years.

I've also spent more money on gear over the last ten months than normal; but I've also been playing a lot more and have reached more of my goals. It's worth mentioning again, as has been discussed numerous times here before, that psychologically, hanging out here with all of you means that I am more likely to go off and buy that Prophet 10 (for example), even though I don't need it to achieve any of my musical goals.

I love my P10, and to anyone on the fence about it, I'd say if its the synth you want then do it!   Everyone I'm aware of that owns a Rev4 loves it.  The used market for vintage P5s dictates what the approximate current value of this synth is, and when a brand new one with new features can be obtained for less than used ones I think its a win-win.  I don't think we will see much depreciation on these... not that I care or ever plan to sell mine.. more likely it will be worth a great deal in the future.   It's not a limited issue, but nobody knows how long Dave will want to continue working or what the future holds.

For me it was a bucket list item the moment it was announced.  Maintenance issues I'd heard owners of vintage synths talk about was the only reason I didn't buy one.  Actually that's what prevents me from getting a Juno 106 (a synth I used to own and would love to have again).  I sold my first one because it was broken and I didn't want to mess with a fix... parted ways with it for $300 to someone who could fix it -- another one of those things I would do differently if I could turn back the clock.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »

That's amazing that you not only have a PolySix (I'd love to have one), but that it's also associated with a dear friend!

And to me this forum is kind of an oasis.  There are a lot of places I could find lots of heated debates about synths, but not as many places I am aware of with as many synth-passionate people that, for the most part and usually, get along.

Regarding your previous post, I've been on a heavy nostalgia trip in recent weeks, listening nonstop to synthpop radio shows and buying cheap CD copies of various records I owned back when - Ultravox, Bill Nelson, OMD etc. It's not that I'm wishing to point myself at the past - it's the rediscovery of what are excellent songs/albums. My musical taste since my teen years has broadened and taken all sorts of twists and turns, but it's a pleasure to come back to music that meant the world to me to find out it still does.

Yeah, that PolySix has been in my life since those very teen days. To (kinda) quote Eno, the passage of my life is measured out in synths. My fiancee is also into synths and between us, we've filled a lot of space with instruments. Still, when I announced I was determined to get a new P5 she said, "But we already have a Prophet 5!" We had an amusing conversation at the end of which we concluded that synths are at the heart of my "spiritual journey." We were giggling, but only because it's true. The Prophet 5 has been the Beatles of synthesizers for me and in the spirit of reaching for resonance (no pun intended!) and richness (even if it busts my bank account), there's a P5 out there slowly making its way to me.

The rest of my gear is in Berlin with my ex. Life, eh?

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
LPF83,

Just catching up on some older posts.  Good thoughts here, though if this was a boater forum, I'd imagine they would apply the rational likewise about GAS ;).   In all seriousness though, music is a portal to the soul, and so it would make sense to gravitate towards it more when that realm is nearer.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

jg666

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:23 PM »
I'm even later in catching up on posts!

I'll be 60 in May and paid my house mortgage off some years ago. For the last few years I've just worked 2 days a week and earn enough just to keep 'ticking over'. This was my decision as I wanted more time to spend on doing things that I wanted to do rather than work. I've obviously experienced a few deaths over the last few years and it does make you think.

When I stopped smoking in my late 20s I vowed to spend the money that I saved from not smoking on buying something every year. For the last few years it has been synths and I now have too many but I don't regret any of them. I'd hate to be looking back on my life thinking 'why didn't I get one of those' ! I still make sure I can afford whatever I want to buy and I do have a think about how much use I'd get out of it but it doesn't take long to convince myself I couldn't live without another bit of music equipment ;)

I have a cousin who is a year old than me, and he is the total opposite. He hardly spends any money, still lives at home with his mother and never had to buy a house or a car. He finished work the other year to look after his elderly mother and told me that he's managing to live on £300 per month !!! This is despite him having a couple of hundred thousand in the bank and a couple of very good pensions.

My synth adiction has been the main thing that has saved my sanity since the first lockdown in March last year. I live on my own and so nobody else has been in my house and I've not been in anyone else's house for nearly a year now. Because we're meant to be mainly staying at home, I've been able to spend many hours a day with the synths.

I was listening to a very old record, The Ballad Of John And Yoko, over the weekend and a line in there is apt in my opinion...

Last night the wife said
Oh boy, when you're dead
You don't take nothing with you but your soul
Think!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:48:31 PM by jg666 »
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 08:07:09 AM »
My synth adiction has been the main thing that has saved my sanity since the first lockdown in March last year. I live on my own and so nobody else has been in my house and I've not been in anyone else's house for nearly a year now. Because we're meant to be mainly staying at home, I've been able to spend many hours a day with the synths.

I was listening to a very old record, The Ballad Of John And Yoko, over the weekend and a line in there is apt in my opinion...

Last night the wife said
Oh boy, when you're dead
Think!

I'm glad you've got your synths to keep things rolling for you during this ongoing challenging time. And really lovely to see a Beatles reference pop up on the forum, though as a child of 1967, I beg to differ that the record you mention is "very old!" Timeless, innit. When I became obsessed with synths as a teen, I was so thrilled to discover that there was Moog all over Abbey Road.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 08:40:32 AM »
I have a cousin who is a year older than me, and he is the total opposite. He hardly spends any money, still lives at home with his mother and never had to buy a house or a car. He finished work the other year to look after his elderly mother and told me that he's managing to live on £300 per month !!! This is despite him having a couple of hundred thousand in the bank and a couple of very good pensions.

From a very different perspective on life and death, this is the most venerable thing I've yet read in this thread.  Putting the possible hoarding of money aside, devotion of one's life to helping another person, rather than spending money on oneself entirely for the purpose of pleasure, is noble.  The words altruism, selflessness, and fraternal charity come to mind.  As a non-materialist who regards the life of the soul as of prime importance, this paragraph was a tad refreshing, although I'm not sure it was intended to be.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:45:51 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
I have a cousin who is a year older than me, and he is the total opposite. He hardly spends any money, still lives at home with his mother and never had to buy a house or a car. He finished work the other year to look after his elderly mother and told me that he's managing to live on £300 per month !!! This is despite him having a couple of hundred thousand in the bank and a couple of very good pensions.

From a very different perspective on life and death, this is the most venerable thing I've yet read in this thread.  Putting the possible hoarding of money aside, devotion of one's life to helping another person, rather than spending money on oneself entirely for the purpose of pleasure, is noble.  The words altruism, selflessness, and fraternal charity come to mind.  As a non-materialist who regards the life of the soul as of prime importance, this paragraph was a tad refreshing, although I'm not sure it was intended to be.

Sadly the only reason he gave up his job was because he hated it and is too tight fisted to pay for anyone to help out with the care of his mother! He’s refused her requests for double glazing and central heating so she has to suffer in a freezing cold house. So at over 90 years of age, she’s having to make do and suffer rather than be comfortable, they don’t even have an upstairs toilet so if she wants to go in the night she can’t because he won’t let her have a stairlift and he has to help her up and down the stairs.

He’s basically sponged off his parents all his life and hoarded all his earnings. He’s never left home, never been on holiday except with his parents etc and they kept him and fed him. Now I’d call that cruelty to be honest.

So sadly you have totally got the wrong idea about it :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »

Last night the wife said
Oh boy, when you're dead
Think!

I'm glad you've got your synths to keep things rolling for you during this ongoing challenging time. And really lovely to see a Beatles reference pop up on the forum, though as a child of 1967, I beg to differ that the record you mention is "very old!" Timeless, innit. When I became obsessed with synths as a teen, I was so thrilled to discover that there was Moog all over Abbey Road.

I should change my original post to say ‘a record from my early collection’ :) I’ve still got it on 45 somewhere but have no record player any more so have to make do with digital versions.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 09:26:00 AM »
Well those details certainly change the impression I got of your cousin!  But I would still leave my comments as they are, even if they no longer apply to him.

jg666

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 09:29:13 AM »
Well those details certainly change the impression I got of your cousin!  But I would still leave my comments as they are, even if they no longer apply to him.

As long as you’re not trying to criticise me for spending money on myself then that is fine.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »
Criticize you?  Disagreeing is not criticizing; it's offering another perspective.  I think a better word is "debating." 

jg666

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
Criticize you?  Disagreeing is not criticizing; it's offering another perspective.  I think a better word is "debating."

Well my advice to you is not not debate matters which you know nothing about. You know nothing about my life or how I’ve handled my finances etc over the years.

My philosophy now is that I need to reward myself for putting up with a job I absolutely hate for all these years. I want to enjoy things now before I get crippled with arthritis like my late parents both were.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »
This thread is about principles and perspectives on gear, music, life, and death.  You've stated one view, and I've stated another.  But I completely understand your using music and synthesizers to bring some relief to your grief.  It makes perfect sense and is one of the many blessings of culture.  My previous comments concerned only the enjoyment of material things as the sole or primary purpose of life.  I do think it's something we're all tempted to do.  Surely you've read the discussions here and elsewhere on "GAS."  It's only more of the same. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:09:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 10:36:07 AM »
The friend I mentioned in my original post has since died; it was known he was terminal, but life expectancy estimates were between 6-12 months, so the timing was unexpected and jarring.  Every time I lose someone, something irreplaceable chips away and falls from me, but I suppose that is a natural consequence of aging.  On the bright side of things, he didn't die alone, he went quickly and with zero suffering, which would not have been the case with extended treatment.

But I did want to mention that my post, however it came across, was as much about the investment of time making music as it was the purchase of gear with which to make it.  To a certain extent, they go hand-in-hand.  I do believe that "GAS" itself can be an unhealthy addiction that does not address my goal of "minimizing my regrets"... however the line that designates the severity of GAS certainly varies from one individual to another; I would never presume to define what that line is for someone other than myself.

I believe that one of the biggest perils of GAS is that it can condition us to feel uninspired unless we have something new and shiny, and one gets used to that cycle, it can be an expensive cycle to keep up with.  I think there is such a thing as fleeting or temporary creativity inspired by introducing something new into our environment that makes us want to learn or explore it.  And then there is (a perhaps more genuine form) of creativity that emerges when we push ourselves (or something else pushes us) out of our comfort zone.  If we condition ourselves to the temporary rush that comes with GAS, it's like any other addiction... its too easy to end up pursuing the feeling we get from acquiring something new rather than pursuing the internal satisfaction of music creation.

I'm actually pretty content with my existing hardware set up.  Depending on what gets announced in the next year or two, there might be one more large purchase, but it won't be out of necessity.  What I will definitely be working on, though, at least when the existing todo list gets under control, is trying to find more time for making music... I am convinced more than ever that time spent on music is time I will never regret.