"Brightness"

"Brightness"
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:43:46 PM »
Hi,

I am mapping my Prophet 6 module to ableton, and while doing so came across CC 74: Brightness. In the manual all I can is:      Brightness: Added to low-pass filter cutoff frequency.

It does seem to make the sound brighter/darker a bit. Is this parameter accessible outside of midi cc?

Chi

Re: "Brightness"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:17:35 AM »
Good catch - I hadn't noticed this and since there is already a CC for LP Cutoff and LP resonance it seems like it is a control only accessible via midi?  Anyone have any idea about it?

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
Doing some testing it seem to basically be another LP cutoff control, except it wont affect the sound until the actual cutoff knob has been at least slightly moved. Or maybe its just how I have it set up in ableton..

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Doing some testing it seem to basically be another LP cutoff control, except it wont affect the sound until the actual cutoff knob has been at least slightly moved. Or maybe its just how I have it set up in ableton..

I've used "brightness" via a homebrew MIDI controller (ie, a piece of hardware that I built that spits out MIDI commands to the Prophet 6).  I believe that brightness is indeed just another way to control the filter's cutoff, as was said above.  In my experience, however, it took effect immediately as you'd expect...I did NOT see the unusual behavior reported by dmadurski above.

YMMV.

Chip

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
It seems to me itīs a value that establish the minium amuount of cutoff.
For example: If you open brightness to 50%, when you totally close the cutoff, this wonīt totally close. It would be 50% open. Thatīs what iīm hearing.  :D

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
I also just ran into this parameter but on the OB-6.  I haven't tested my Prophet 6 but I'm sure this is what everyone is saying it is.  An alternate way of controlling cutoff.  My testing has also shown something interesting.  Try this:

1) Pick a patch that has a lowish filter setting (dark)
2) Adjust CC74 to a high value and hear the changes (lighter and bright)
3) Go to another patch play around for a moment but leave CC74 alone
4) Go back to the patch you changed CC74 on and you will hear that the patch still has that brightness applied.  The patch should be brighter

In other words, this setting effects the whole synth like a volume control.  Careful with this parameter when trying to make new sounds, etc.  When you return to your sound after powering down the synth you may find that the sound you made may not sound like it did when you saved it simply because you may have inadvertently played with MIDI CC74...  I'm going to unmap it and never use it again for fear of messing with my sound design.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »

Hi all,

my guess is it is Standard/General MIDI implementation, CC in the 70+ range are defined towards "Sound Engine" Parameters like Filter-EG and the 74 is this "additional LPF Cutoff". OB-6 is also CC 74 on the Prophet 12 there was no more room in CC, in Sysex it is implemented. Would be good to have for opening Filter via Pedal and other controllers.
Might be more usefull in playing and realtime control (external LFO to CC74) not so much for editors.

Hope this helps,

Martin3

Jdoo

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Plug an expression pedal into the back of your Prophet "EXP Pedal Filter" - and you will control brightness (filter cutoff) across the entire board / all patches.  I.E.  It is a global setting across all patches.  That's how it works on the OB-6 anyway.  I had a (non-)problem, months ago - where I thought filter cutoff was whack on my OB-6.  It was an expression pedal, that I had forgot about... that was half set.   :o
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:34:58 AM by Jdoo »