Aftertouch -- too sensitive?

g3o2

Re: Aftertouch -- too sensitive?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 12:00:53 PM »
TBF this a feature which is very difficult to get right on non-custom keyboards. My Korg Kronos does not get it right either and its many AT curves are not the satisfactory solution for every patch either. So unless Sequential comes up with a per patch solution …

The more reliable solution right now is to connect an additional controller such as the Linnstrument or Expressive E’s Touché.

LPF83

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2022, 12:06:28 PM »
TBF this a feature which is very difficult to get right on non-custom keyboards. My Korg Kronos does not get it right either and its many AT curves are not the satisfactory solution for every patch either. So unless Sequential comes up with a per patch solution …

The more reliable solution right now is to connect an additional controller such as the Linnstrument or Expressive E’s Touché.

I'm comparing the Prophet10 to my other Sequential keyboards though.   I'm happy with the AT response on my P6, OB6, Rev2... its not perfect in those cases but its in line with industry norms.

The issue with the Rev4 is the curves in the software, not the keyboard.  It behaves the same with a different keyboard controller (such as my KK S61, which controls AT fine on other synths).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

g3o2

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2022, 12:37:23 PM »
I can see your point. For me personally, the current “industry standard” is one of the reasons to use expression pedals or alternative controllers.

LPF83

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
I can see your point. For me personally, the current “industry standard” is one of the reasons to use expression pedals or alternative controllers.

I do use pedals too, it's just that some of the results that come from finger-wiggling techniques aren't as easy to achieve with a foot. 

But agreed... I don't think I've ever played a keyboard where the AT felt ideal across all sounds.  Its just like there's a happy medium in there somewhere that I'm used to.

More than anything, I don't understand why this particular issue hasn't been addressed yet on the Rev4.  So many other features have been added, and while I'm thankful for some of those (PU2 in particular), I really don't understand why this glaring issue (and one that I feel would be easy to fix) has gone unaddressed for so long.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2022, 10:22:35 PM »
Takes a lot of hand strength to play a piano softly.  A lot of pianists complain that they cannot play a piano softly and blame the piano when the problem is in their hands.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

LPF83

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 05:17:20 AM »
Takes a lot of hand strength to play a piano softly.  A lot of pianists complain that they cannot play a piano softly and blame the piano when the problem is in their hands.

Perhaps but when their hands play softly fine on all pianos except one it becomes harder to blame their hands.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2022, 11:52:11 PM »
Maybe, to compare aftertouch response, use a controller keyboard to play your synth?

I know I like playing my Pro 3 much more from my Kurzweil keyboard.
- How much of it is the software response-curve, and how much is the keybed response curve?
(And, how much is psychological?)

You decide...
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2022, 12:09:39 AM »
I just did a bit of a test on this...

Set your aftertouch to Filter Cutoff... very high! (Or something *very* obvious and extreme!)

Then, test your aftertouch response. (Pro 3 has total shit on/off aftertouch response... -  BUT!..  The 'better' Kurzweil "response" from my K2600 [controller keyboard] is only a *little* bit better!
 -- [I CAN [VERY carefully] get a bit of a "middle" aftertouch-value here on the Kurzweil, but, really, not much. -  So, maybe we need to yell at Fatar?]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 12:23:32 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Qwave

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2022, 03:19:15 AM »
...So, maybe we need to yell at Fatar?
I don't think so.
See the Moog Voyager had a rather on/off aftertouch before a Moog hardware change made it better. But it was still not easy to hold a value of about 50% aftertouch. Then came Rudi Linhard (who did also the software of the Voyager) and made another Fatar to aftertouch CV board. And now it is the best aftertouch I can think of. It is so easy to get slow sweels and to hold values in the middle.

The Fatar sends out exponentials CV that needs to be converted to linear CV. And although linear to exponential is used in many analog synth, the exponential to linear transformation is not that easy. And doing this in the digital domain is often also not working that good on other synths. While it is done well on the Nonlinear Labs C15 it is not that good on the Moog One, although they both use the very same Fatar keybed.
keep on turning these knobs