Aftertouch -- too sensitive?

LPF83

Aftertouch -- too sensitive?
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »
On some patches, the aftertouch is too sensitive for certain playing styles.  Even at 0, it can be hard to find the sweet spot without blasting the filter wide open (when AT button is set to filter).

One possibility would be to allow decrements below 0, to negative numbers that flatten the curve (or invert the curve even).   Ideally, the curve would level off at an increasingly lower total amount as the after touch global setting is set into the negative range, to the point where -7 has a barely detectable result no matter how much pressure is applied.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: Aftertouch -- too sensitive?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 02:07:49 AM »
On some patches, the aftertouch is too sensitive for certain playing styles.  Even at 0, it can be hard to find the sweet spot without blasting the filter wide open (when AT button is set to filter).

One possibility would be to allow decrements below 0, to negative numbers that flatten the curve (or invert the curve even).   Ideally, the curve would level off at an increasingly lower total amount as the after touch global setting is set into the negative range, to the point where -7 has a barely detectable result no matter how much pressure is applied.

Yes, I have this "problem" to ....   Some sort of feature that can change the velocity curve would be nice.
Now the curve feels "convex" ( opens up to fast )   It would be nice to have it more "concave" with a
slower envelope , if thatīs possible ?

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

Qwave

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:48 PM »
+1 from me.
keep on turning these knobs

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 04:07:57 AM »
Aftertouch (and velocity) of the Prophet 5/10 is very hard to use in a more subtle way: Eight pressure curves are not enough and/or there must be a possibility to set the amount of aftertouch being applied in addition. I think it is absolutely the right decision making aftertouch available and also the Fatar keyboard offers a good quality but unfortunately the actual implementation of aftertouch is not sufficient. Unless you like sudden full blown filter blasts or hysterical vibratos.

I thought maybe it is just a matter of time to get the springs in my Prophet 10 a little bit worn out so that the aftertouch would react more gentle but this is not the case even after one month of excessive playing.

My Prophet 08 is reacting way more sensitive, also because it is possible to specify an amount. So I sometimes just have chosen an LFO intensity of 5 out of 127 to get a really organic and subtle modulation via aftertouch.

The Prophet 5/10 is a great Synth, providing aftertouch a consequent decision - but please dear Sequential team: optimize the implementation with more curves (below "0") and an amount from 0 to 127. The synth clearly deserves it so the (ambient-)players who are loving more subtle expressions.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 02:58:15 AM »
Fully agree - current aftertouch implementation does not really allow for expressive playing.

ddp

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 08:43:00 PM »
I agree with this; more curves would be nice, and it is overly sensitive IMHO.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

CPN37

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 01:19:39 AM »
+1 from me
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 10:53:31 PM »
It is rather!  +1

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 03:42:41 AM »
+1

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 04:22:07 AM »
It's now official.  Most requested Sequential feature of 2021, improved aftertouch curve for the P5/10.   :)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 04:33:11 AM »
Well ...  Itīs been on this "which list" for almost a year now   :P
The question is ;  does anyone from Sequential team read / monitor this forum ?   :-\

Merry X-mas and a better new year !

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 08:27:42 AM »
Well ...  Itīs been on this "which list" for almost a year now   :P
The question is ;  does anyone from Sequential team read / monitor this forum ?   :-\

Merry X-mas and a better new year !

Cheers !

Sometimes. Easier to send request to support@sequential.com if you want a guarantee that it will be read.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 10:50:05 AM »
I would rather an "aftertouch amount" by patch instead of a new curve.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
Why not both ?   ::)
Would be nice to be able to store different amount of AT per patch / sound instead of a Global setting.
Anyhow, it needs to be more usable, and not like now with almost "hysterical" modulation @ the lowest setting ....   :o

Cheers !

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 02:47:13 AM »
Yes, why not a new curve too.
But imo if no aftertouch amount by patch, aftertouch is almost useless on any synth (whatever curve they got).

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 03:33:47 AM »
I just recently solved my aftertouch problem with retrokits smart cable rk-002. It has a firmware called Curve Mapper I uploaded to the cable. You can draw your own curves. Then I hooked up the cable to my P10 Midi In and Out. P10 to local off. Voila, the aftertouch curve I want.
I really recommend getting this smart Midi cable. There are dozens of different firmwares to do all kind of Midi-bending. I also use it as an arpeggiator.

LPF83

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 04:15:19 AM »
I just recently solved my aftertouch problem with retrokits smart cable rk-002. It has a firmware called Curve Mapper I uploaded to the cable. You can draw your own curves. Then I hooked up the cable to my P10 Midi In and Out. P10 to local off. Voila, the aftertouch curve I want.
I really recommend getting this smart Midi cable. There are dozens of different firmwares to do all kind of Midi-bending. I also use it as an arpeggiator.

The cable looks like a fine solution for many uses, but I personally want usable aftertouch/velocity curves on the instrument itself, especially since these new features were one of the selling points of the Rev 4. 

Frankly after a year of owning the Prophet 10, Sequential's flagship synth, it's getting frustrating that such basic functionality has not been addressed while other features are, such as bi-timbrality, which is a nice to have but wasn't part of the original Rev 4 promised feature set.  I believe the "as-sold" features should work properly before lots of new functionality is added, and if not then perhaps prioritization should receive further attention.

I love this synth, but these response curves need to be addressed without additional purchases, cabling or other workarounds including requiring me to manipulate MIDI in the DAW or other software.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:19:49 AM by LPF83 »

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 06:36:45 AM »

The cable looks like a fine solution for many uses, but I personally want usable aftertouch/velocity curves on the instrument itself, especially since these new features were one of the selling points of the Rev 4. 

Frankly after a year of owning the Prophet 10, Sequential's flagship synth, it's getting frustrating that such basic functionality has not been addressed while other features are, such as bi-timbrality, which is a nice to have but wasn't part of the original Rev 4 promised feature set.  I believe the "as-sold" features should work properly before lots of new functionality is added, and if not then perhaps prioritization should receive further attention.

I love this synth, but these response curves need to be addressed without additional purchases, cabling or other workarounds including requiring me to manipulate MIDI in the DAW or other software.

Exactly !  I could not have said it better myself  8)

For a "flag ship" like P-10 and P-5 this issue needs to be
resolved within the unit ....    No extra "gizmos" , "workarounds" or
dishing out more money on an already hefty price tag. It is not acceptable ....   :o

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:39:22 AM by HockeBocke »

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 03:01:50 AM »
One of the things the LFE does is allow you to set mod-matrix-like settings for aftertouch and velocity, saved per patch.  So you can set for example aftertouch to modulate any parameter on the synth with a -99 to + 99 amount; same with vel, mod wheel and others, and use them as multipliers to bring in one of the LFE's LFOs...  Could I improve on this?  For example I could include a curve function to change the response of these, rather than have just a simple linear amount.  With the synth's Local switched aff, all midi goes through the LFE so I could quite easily process that controller data with different curves.  Ideas welcome.

https://www.yoricktech.co.uk/

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
The aftertouch bugs me, too. I don't really use it, due to the curve. I have a Yamaha CS-60, so perhaps I have unrealistic expectations when it comes to aftertouch response. I wish all synths had smooth, mechanical aftertouch instead of sensors.