P10/5 rev4 vs Moog one for Vintage kind of sound

LPF83

Re: P10/5 rev4 vs Moog one for Vintage kind of sound
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 05:18:24 AM »
On the above post (not that annoying t&t from andertons but further up seperate vids) comparing P5/10 with Moog One - the Prophet sounds gorgeous, like a real vintage analog.

The Moog One sounds like a VA, and further... all the features in the world won't stop it feeling like a chore to work with (that computer screen built in.. YUCK!).

Prophet all day every day. Moog One is nothing, just spec in a box (like andromeda was.. another super synth on paper with mediocre sound). Prophet 5/10 is the synth that has already proven itself in the field of sound for decades.

Another issue is that to compare the Rev4 to Moog One, FX should really be turned off on the Moog One.
But I think Jack is looking at it from a "which synth to buy" perspective since they sell both, and what would the experience be for a buyer that walked into a brick and mortar store and just turned both of them on.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 01:44:42 AM »
Of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_9gXZgC_U

Great comparison to catch the sound character of the two beasts. Its easy to imagine how the P5/10 can sound with some reverb etc added so it was great as presented. To me the Prophet has THAT sound. Possible I will end up with a Moog One (16 voices) in the future as planned but not sure I want to spend all that money for something that will be in the shadow of my P5 rev 4.

If Dave Smith will make an OB-X (the name has recently been patented by Sequential) in the price range of a P5/10 it will be more interesting to me than the Moog One. And if just dreaming out of the blue: If Moog decide to make a Memorymoog Reissue (haven’t heard any such rumors) in the same price range as P5/10 (but not in the price range of Moog One) that would be something. Still the Prophet 5 rev 4 is my analog poly king.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 12:09:49 PM »

I have a great deal actually to get a moog one 16 voices for 6000k euros brand news but i every video for the moog one have effect effect effect....

I have a P10 since yesterday and love. But I'm planning the Moog One as well later (once the tuning in the lower octaves is sorted.
Where did you find a Moog One 16 for 6000K €? This is very good price.

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 09:08:12 PM »

I have a great deal actually to get a moog one 16 voices for 6000k euros brand news but i every video for the moog one have effect effect effect....

I have a P10 since yesterday and love. But I'm planning the Moog One as well later (once the tuning in the lower octaves is sorted.
Where did you find a Moog One 16 for 6000K €? This is very good price.

Bax had the Moog One 16 for about £5400 on black Friday.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2021, 01:16:16 PM »

I have a P10 since yesterday and love it. But I'm planning to buy the Moog One as well later (once the tuning in the lower octaves is sorted).
Where did you find a Moog One 16 for 6000K €? This is a very good price.

Bax had the Moog One 16 for about £5400 on black Friday.

Thanks. Maybe by this years black Friday they have fixed the tuning issues and a few other bugs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:17:48 PM by taichber »

AlakaLazlo

• When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • Lazlotronic
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »
I have a Moog One 16v and an OB6 desktop.  They compliment each other very nicely. I may get a P5 Desktop at some point in the future to round out the set. They each have a distinctive character and I never found it all that useful to say A is better than B. They are different and sound is largely subjective. 

I'm planning the Moog One as well later (once the tuning in the lower octaves is sorted.

Moog came up with a tuning routine that worked the "bugs" out of the lower register tuning issue a while back. My opinion is that the new tuning (that you can turn off in the settings menu) made it a bit sterile sounding, but if you know how to use the mod matrix, you can add back some "slop" and then the thing is just plain glorious. The One is absolutely my desert island synth today.

I got my first Oby in the 70s (an FVS1), owned a very early P5 and later an OBX. I still have a vintage SEM that I modularized with a custom PS and a 5U panel.  I LOVE the Oby character.  I'm really impressed with the new P5/P10 synths. They really do have the character of the old P5s and I'd much rather have one of these than a vintage P5.
Cubase, Slate Raven, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Fender Strat Pro & Electric XII, custom Variax JTV69S (the Hexstainocaster), Helix, Cirklon, Engine, Moog IIP/One/Mini, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, OB-6, SEM, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

ddp

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 11:59:14 PM »
I'm fortunate to have both a One and a P10, and the way I would say it is, that I'd be elated with either on a desert island.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 12:58:28 PM »

I'm planning the Moog One as well later (once the tuning in the lower octaves is sorted.

Moog came up with a tuning routine that worked the "bugs" out of the lower register tuning issue a while back. My opinion is that the new tuning (that you can turn off in the settings menu) made it a bit sterile sounding, but if you know how to use the mod matrix, you can add back some "slop" and then the thing is just plain glorious. The One is absolutely my desert island synth today.

I should have said I already had a Moog One. I've got a brand new Moog One 16 before Christmas.
But after 4 weeks I've sent it back with a heavy heart within return period.
It was a difficult decision and not easy to send it back...

I'm my view the tuning is not fixed. Moog came up with a work around. There is a calibration routine which measures all 48 OSCs and stores the deviation on the voice boards. Once you activate tuning compensation the OSCs are tuned in realtime. At least this is my understanding how works. With compensation the tuning is perfekt but I could hear it working in the lower notes. Don't know you to describe how it sounds (slight warble?). I did not use it. Sounded better without.
The latest firmware upgrade was 06/2020. I don't know how it takes to get this sorted. The synth is on the market since 2018. The noise floor (master volume over 1 o clock) and the 5 fans also bothered me a bit.

But the sound, flexibility and user interface is superb!!!
i really miss the synth and contemplating if/when I should buy one again. Maybe after the next major firmware upgrade or even a hardware revision (I guess this will not happen)...

The P10 and the other hand was love from the beginning. I knew from the first second this is a keeper.

I think these 2 synths are too different to compare. If the primary focus is a straight forward raw, full vintage tone the P10 is the better choice in my view.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 01:02:43 PM by taichber »

napje

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 01:48:51 AM »
If you just want to switch on your synth, grab a few knobs and get beautiful lush vintage style sounds out of it, the Prophet-10 is easily the best choice. It's one big sweet spot oozing with charisma and character.

The Moog One can do pretty much anything, including sounding vintage, but you'll really have to work for it as its 'core sound' is rather flat and you have to know what you're doing to make it sing.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:50:26 AM by napje »

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »
If you just want to switch on your synth, grab a few knobs and get beautiful lush vintage style sounds out of it, the Prophet-10 is easily the best choice. It's one big sweet spot oozing with charisma and character.

The Moog One can do pretty much anything, including sounding vintage, but you'll really have to work for it as its 'core sound' is rather flat and you have to know what you're doing to make it sing.

+1

Qwave

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 01:58:27 AM »

As a Moog One 16 and a Prophet-10 Rev 4 owner I agree 100%.
keep on turning these knobs

kyps

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »
Hi guys
So, I’ve decided to return my Moog one and buy the p10,

I think it’s the best choice I’ve ever done

The sound quality of the p10 is monstrous

I was not impressed from my Moog one, instead of the p10, the first note I’ve played, I was really impressed

It’s sound that Dave put his heart on it

napje

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 02:25:59 AM »
I've got both. Love them both. They excel at different things. The Prophet-10 is lush and generous and almost always sounds great. The Moog One is a lab for engineering complex or heavily modulated analog sounds you can't get anywhere else. The Prophet-10 is a real player's synth, the Moog One a sound designer's dream.

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »
Hi:
i've m one 16, and the p5 rev 4;

Two impossible to comparate synths to me :)
They are on two extremes of the poly synth history, in terms of feature but very different also in terms of price :)

One is a super complex deep monster moog, the P5 a basic beautiful and iconic super simple synth.

So if you are attracted to just "vintage" stuff get the p5 or the p10.
Is very easy to edit, basic and amazing wonderful tone whatever you twist the knob.

Moog one is not for everybody, is yet not ready and a developing beast; is a very DEEP synth and VERY difficult to make plays very good - and when you get it is STUNNING and something never heard before - but if i could choose between the two i'll go with the one for sure.
You can tweak the response under to your fingers in a incredible way. To me is like to play a Grand Concert Piano but is a synth, a Grand Synth :) And it cost a lot more than the P5 or P10 ( i mean the 16v is 8.3k euro in Italy)

I love them both a LOT but P5 is for immediacy, the One for something unexplored and for the incredible deep in tweak mods detalis under your fingers.
Check my video at the link with the moog one with no fx patch :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVD4dxUX7I&ab_channel=MassimoMartellotta

I've the prophet rev2 16v too that for me is like a hybrid between the p5 approach and the moog one approach ( i LOVE it too )

Cheers :)

Hey there,

I'm sorry to ask this, but there is... I'm in big hesitation between both... I'm looking for a vintage sound and i've heard some people told me that the moog one can be vintage as the p10/5 and others people told me, the moog one will not be good as the p10 for the vintage sound...

When i check the video on YT, i can heard that the p10 sound more powerfull than the moog one... Also, it look like the p10/5 have more character

The + for the moog is :
16 voices
multitymbrality
4 lfo
octave knob

The + for p10
sound

But sound for me is 80%...

Someone here have both please ? I need your help ...
Please dont hate me, i just want to someone can help me :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:16:41 AM by MARTELLO »
// Moog One 16v - Prophet 5 Rev 4-  DSI P08 Rev2 16v - Moog Grandmother - Korg Mono Poly - Roland Jx3p - Moog Mother 32 - Korg Minilogue - Arturia Minibrute //