P10/5 rev4 vs Moog one for Vintage kind of sound

kyps

P10/5 rev4 vs Moog one for Vintage kind of sound
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:44:09 AM »
Hey there,

I'm sorry to ask this, but there is... I'm in big hesitation between both... I'm looking for a vintage sound and i've heard some people told me that the moog one can be vintage as the p10/5 and others people told me, the moog one will not be good as the p10 for the vintage sound...

When i check the video on YT, i can heard that the p10 sound more powerfull than the moog one... Also, it look like the p10/5 have more character

I have a great deal actually to get a moog one 16 voices for 6000k euros brand news but i every video for the moog one have effect effect effect....

The + for the moog is :
16 voices
multitymbrality
4 lfo
octave knob

The + for p10
sound

But sound for me is 80%...

Someone here have both please ? I need your help ...
Please dont hate me, i just want to someone can help me :)

LPF83

Re: P10/5 rev4 vs Moog one for Vintage kind of sound
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
Hey there,

I'm sorry to ask this, but there is... I'm in big hesitation between both... I'm looking for a vintage sound and i've heard some people told me that the moog one can be vintage as the p10/5 and others people told me, the moog one will not be good as the p10 for the vintage sound...

When i check the video on YT, i can heard that the p10 sound more powerfull than the moog one... Also, it look like the p10/5 have more character

I have a great deal actually to get a moog one 16 voices for 6000k euros brand news but i every video for the moog one have effect effect effect....

The + for the moog is :
16 voices
multitymbrality
4 lfo
octave knob

The + for p10
sound

Someone here have both please ? I need your help ...
Please dont hate me, i just want to someone can help me :)

I don't own a Moog One, but keep in mind a LOT of vintage music uses the P5/10 sound, and the Moog One is a modern synthesizer that did not exist when that music was written.  That is not to say that a Moog One isn't capable of sounding vintage, it's just to say that it isn't meant to be a recreation of a vintage synth as the P5/10 are.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 10:32:53 AM »
This is a complex answer, and is subject to taste. They are both amazing on their own, and fit into a mix.

I'll let my programming talk instead of typing.
That way you can hear for yourself if the sounds fit your style!
About a month with the Prophet-10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWad1HfRqRA

A years worth of presets from the Moog One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EytmBBjFlRo
--shane

kyps

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:37:32 AM »
Thanks for your answer, i see...

Do you have a trick to get "key transpose" on the p10 ?

jok3r

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 10:49:50 AM »

So you already got your answer... I learned this myself recently. If this is the sound you're after, then get it. You can achieve 19 out of 20 of the remaining % with gear like LFOs or envelopes that control a midi CC value (from your DAW or external boxes like those existing for P6/OB6) and external effects (from DAW or hardware solutions from Strymon, Eventide, etc. ... ).

If I could afford it, I would buy the P10 in an instant. The Moog One is also an absolute dream synth and I always dreamed of having one. I had always great fun and loved the sound... but not as much as I love the sound of Prophets, Oberheims or (to have an example from the same company) the Matriarch which is the most vintage sounding synth from Moog for my ears. So I would rather buy a P10 and an OB-6 for less than the price of a Moog One. In your case with this deal running, I would say a P10 + Matriarch or a P10 + Rev2. The Rev2 can give you a lot of the features you are missing... not all, but a lot.

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »

Press "Global" once ( yellow light )  Press "Transpose"  ( first button in memory bank )
Press + or - to select key ......

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 03:27:19 PM »
So I would rather buy a P10 and an OB-6 for less than the price of a Moog One. In your case with this deal running, I would say a P10 + Matriarch or a P10 + Rev2. The Rev2 can give you a lot of the features you are missing... not all, but a lot.

These would be great combinations; another possibility that would keep things in the $6,500 US range (about the price of an undiscounted 8-voice Moog One) would be a P10 keyboard + P6 module.  Many might believe having both the P10 and P6 is too much of sameness, due to some videos that embark on intentionally making the two synths sound very similar, but the reality is they both have a massive range (despite seemingly limited controls), and sound beautiful and diverse when played together.

In fact, if I were REALLY trying to squeeze out bang for the buck, here's an idea still coming in at $6,800, featuring tri-timbrality and 27 voices of polyphony :)     
Rev2 16 voice keyboard $2000 +     Prophet 5 Rev 4 Module $2500 +  OB-6 module $2300
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jok3r

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 03:34:31 PM »
Rev2 16 voice keyboard $2000 +     Prophet 5 Rev 4 Module $2500 +  OB-6 module $2300

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me... Prophet 5 and OB-6 modules for sound and Rev2 for complexity and very nice 61 note Fatar keybed and wheels.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me... Prophet 5 and OB-6 modules for sound and Rev2 for complexity and very nice 61 note Fatar keybed and wheels.

Yes, the keys of the Rev2 and the P10 are very similar -- I feel slightly more tension on the Rev2, the black keys on the P10 are a little more matte than gloss (I think this was an intentional and brilliant design choice toward retaining the vintage look), and I could be wrong but some very minor dimensional differences in the black keys, presumably to preserve the exact feel of the original....but otherwise hard to distinguish.   There is something about the wood on the P10 KB that inspires music creation though!  For that reason, I've made it my main (hardware) keyboard, with the P6 just below it, Rev2 just above it, OB6 above the Rev2.  Does anyone know if the new Rev4 modules retain the knob size of the keyboard?  There is definitely something about having those big knobs on the main controller....  yet at the same time the knobs of the others get the job done too.

Oh, and I forgot, QUAD timbrality with the $6500 setup mentioned above, basically two 8 voice synths inside the Rev2 depending on how one wants to use them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:38:40 PM by LPF83 »

kyps

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »
first of all,
thank you for your very constructive messages,
I love smart forums where we can talk quietly, i really appreciate, so thank you

I had in the past the rev2 and sold it for the prophet 6 but i found the sound to "much modern", i have the ob6 and i really love it ! it impressed me a lot ! !

I had the one for few days to try it, but dont got enough time to play with, but when i compared to the ob6, i was not impressed about the moog one as the ob6

Sequential will tease a new synth in the next month... "OB-x" i think, so, i'm thinking about two options :
1-get prophet 10 and oberheim OB-X ( and probably sell the ob6 module)

2-or get 3 synth in one with the one, but havn't found any impressive video
(OB6 impressed me a lot)
Every video got a lot of effect... That's hard to define how vintage sound is capable the moog one...

Also, i hesitate because i've found the moog one out of tune in lower note, but as a "vintage" style, and had some "bug" into the OS...

The best would be to get both... But i cant ! ! ! :( :(

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »
I would say the P5/P10 rev 4 have the edge in raw sound, but they're incredibly well behaved as well. With the vintage knob making its way over to the P6/OB-6, I wouldn't justify dumping either in favor of the P5&10/OB-X for those who already own those. When I think of vintage, I think of Switched-On Bach, thus the Grandmother/Matriarch are to my ears the most vintage sounding synths currently on the market. A lot of synths people covet such as the Jupiter 8 were also incredibly well behaved. The Memorymoog is the poly synth that strikes me as the most "vintage" even though it has the same VCO chips that are in the P5 rev 3/4. Almost like you're flirting with beautiful disaster with every chord played.

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 04:12:06 PM »

Press "Global" once ( yellow light )  Press "Transpose"  ( first button in memory bank )

Cheers !

Would love to see a shortcut for transpose a full octave up and down.  Right now my work around is to just switch to my master MIDI controller (also 61 keys but has transpose buttons) when I need to do it quickly.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 02:22:47 AM »
The P5 is as simple as great sounding classic instrument. The Moog One is a complex great sounding modern instrument. I had the Moog One in mind before the P5 rev 4 appeared. The Moog One is a very competent sound tool for all kind of analog sound. But my intention is classic sound so I bought the P5. I wish I had them booth as they are great in different ways.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 02:29:40 AM »

Cheers !

Would love to see a shortcut for transpose a full octave up and down.  Right now my work around is to just switch to my master MIDI controller (also 61 keys but has transpose buttons) when I need to do it quickly.

One possible way is to copy the sound to the next program ( example 1 -> 2 or 5 -> 6 ) and then tune the
OSC 1 and OSC 2 up or down one octave and press "Save / Store".  Then just switch between the 2 programs   :)
Another way is to use the Pitch Wheel set to full octave, but that of course only works if your left hand is free to do
that and not busy playing bass notes   :P

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 12:29:42 AM »
I was just fiddling with my prophet 5 and RE-501, I got a pretty sweet vintage-y kind of sound. Here is a link https://soundcloud.com/redonyellow-1/played-on-prophet-5-with-echo

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:43 AM »
I was just fiddling with my prophet 5 and RE-501, I got a pretty sweet vintage-y kind of sound. Here is a link https://soundcloud.com/redonyellow-1/played-on-prophet-5-with-echo

I absolutely love that sound! To me it sounds older than the Prophet is, a vibe of the 70s, but that’s even better in my ears. After heard this Im inspired to try my P5 rev 4 with my Roland RE-201.

At the moment I’m in the process to make something “vintage” sounding (cause I am vintage 😉) as well. Normally I write mainly ambient (and for that purpose I think the Moog One is perfectly suited) but this it went uptempo - the Prophet 5 asked for it:

https://youtu.be/_RkPaJI48aA

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 06:46:00 AM »
'Tried the Moog One, 'don't remember 8 or 16 voices, put it sounded "modern" compared to the impressions I had with the Grandmother or the 2016's Model D.

But that's the limitation with a poly synth : the more voices you have, the more thin each voice have to sound, otherwise, that's an awful mess...

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 01:04:24 PM »

I absolutely love that sound! To me it sounds older than the Prophet is, a vibe of the 70s, but that’s even better in my ears. After heard this Im inspired to try my P5 rev 4 with my Roland RE-201.

At the moment I’m in the process to make something “vintage” sounding (cause I am vintage 😉) as well. Normally I write mainly ambient (and for that purpose I think the Moog One is perfectly suited) but this it went uptempo - the Prophet 5 asked for it:

https://youtu.be/_RkPaJI48aA

Thanks!! I am finding lots and lots of warm fuzzy sounds that I really enjoy. The RE-501 opens the stereo range and it works really well with it.

Holy smokes you have some amazing synths! I am glad you are putting it to good use.

LPF83

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 07:46:17 AM »

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 05:03:42 PM »
On the above post (not that annoying t&t from andertons but further up seperate vids) comparing P5/10 with Moog One - the Prophet sounds gorgeous, like a real vintage analog.

The Moog One sounds like a VA, and further... all the features in the world won't stop it feeling like a chore to work with (that computer screen built in.. YUCK!).

Prophet all day every day. Moog One is nothing, just spec in a box (like andromeda was.. another super synth on paper with mediocre sound). Prophet 5/10 is the synth that has already proven itself in the field of sound for decades.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)