Prophet 12 Desktop and Playlists

Prophet 12 Desktop and Playlists
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:46:32 AM »
I recently purchased the Prophet 12 Desktop. It is a remarkable instrument and it has exceeded my expectations. There is one question I have regarding its features. The specs for the unit as described at the DSI website include "Playlist mode for generating easily accessible setlists of your favorite programs. Create four play lists with up to forty programs each!".

Is this feature really available on the Desktop version and if so, how does one call up this function?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Prophet 12 Desktop and Playlists
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:44:30 AM »
Someone might be along to correct me but I don't think the module has this, it is missing the "playlist" button.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:52:19 AM »
That's a bit of a bummer - playlists are pretty much essential for performing live. I suppose you could rig up a way to organize things with program change messages sent via a midi controller. Otherwise I suppose it comes down to organizing patches in the sequence that you'll be using them.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
Yep it's program change messages. I guess they thought that if you were using the module you wouldn't be using it in a live situation or if you were than your midi controller would be in charge.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
Actually I am using the P12 Desktop for live performance as well as in the studio. I’m planning on using a BCR2000 just in case I decide I need to make lots of adjustments live although the unit is just about perfect as it is.

Regarding playlists, it would seem that most of the software work is done and could be ported to the P12 Desktop. By selecting some combination of buttons to put the unit in playlist mode, it shouldn’t be a large task to add playlist capability. But it may not be cost effective (i.e. will it sell more modules). It’s a nice feature but certainly isn't a show stopper for me.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
It is worth emailing DSI and putting a request in for playlist on the module, you never know they may add it.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 04:51:07 AM »
Thanks, BobTheDog. Good suggestion. I just emailed the request to support.