Sources of "Distortion" on Pro 2 patches...

Sources of "Distortion" on Pro 2 patches...
« on: January 10, 2021, 05:46:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

Still happily exploring my Pro2 6 months since owning...there's lots to discover! 
One thing I am noticing: some of the factory patches have an overdriven, distorted, or grainy quality to them.  I am learning about "patching" by looking through some of the parameters of a given patch, and altering them. 

Is there a list of parameters that make a patch "overdriven"?  I have so far found:

- Oscillator Output Level
- Distortion knob
- Feedback Amount knob
- Character effects (Decimate/Drive/Hack)
- Filter Boost
- Girth(?)

...are there other sources I might be missing?  I assume that some of the waveforms are distorted sounding (Buzzz, Super Buzzz) but I have yet to experiment with them.

When I find these "grainy" or overdriven patches, I'd like to try to dissect them to find their sources of drive.

Any additional ideas or parameters I might be missing would help, so I know where to start searching for them.   Thanks in advance!

Re: Sources of "Distortion" on Pro 2 patches...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:52:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Still happily exploring my Pro2 6 months since owning...there's lots to discover! 
One thing I am noticing: some of the factory patches have an overdriven, distorted, or grainy quality to them.  I am learning about "patching" by looking through some of the parameters of a given patch, and altering them. 

Is there a list of parameters that make a patch "overdriven"?  I have so far found:

- Oscillator Output Level
- Distortion knob
- Feedback Amount knob
- Character effects (Decimate/Drive/Hack)
- Filter Boost
- Girth(?)

...are there other sources I might be missing?  I assume that some of the waveforms are distorted sounding (Buzzz, Super Buzzz) but I have yet to experiment with them.

When I find these "grainy" or overdriven patches, I'd like to try to dissect them to find their sources of drive.

Any additional ideas or parameters I might be missing would help, so I know where to start searching for them.   Thanks in advance!

This is what I really like with the Pro-2 and 3, that you can dial in different flavors of distortion in many ways. As an addition to your list I'd say basically any modulation where the source is one of the oscillators. Eg, modulating the filter cutoff or resonance will add a certain edge to the sound. But you can modulate just about anything and get different kinds of effects. Modulating the pan in audio rate can give you a pseudo-stereo effect that is interesting. There's so much to explore! :-)

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:22:00 AM »
Thank you!🙂

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »
Enabling the "stereo" in globals menu essentially doesn't make anything more stereo in my headphones, rather just louder- or at least from what I can tell on my headphones and metering.  However, it does allow the panning audio out and filter panning to be effective.  This panning, as mentioned by, iluvchiclets above, is a really nice effect when set gently out of phase.  On this instrument I usually throw on about 30ms delay onto either L or R channel on the mixer board, and you end up with Pro 2 sounding every bit stereo as anything else.

Circling back around to Pro 2 after being away from it a while.  It really sounds quite great.  Paraphonic is really beautiful sounding when played in simple patterns and what allows this sequencer to shine when used that way. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1