OB-6 Will Not Update to 1.6.4

OB-6 Will Not Update to 1.6.4
« on: January 10, 2021, 05:55:18 AM »
FYI for the developers that my OB-6 S/N1217 will not update from 1.5.5 to 1.6.4.

I've tried two Windows 10 machines with USB and two different M-Audio Uno's running MIDI-OX, fiddled with the settings and no go.

I then tried a Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini with USB and two different M-Audio Uno's running Sysex Librarian, fiddled with the settings and no go.

Then I tried my MOTU MIDI Express128 with a Macbook Pro and a Dell Precision laptop, nothing. It counts down from 999 to 0 on every try but never goes to the second countdown (WRITE phase), it just reboots and it's still 1.5.5.

I also have a Prophet-6 and that updated the first try with MIDI-OX and the M-Audio Uno to 1.6.3, although it did get stuck at the "1" on the second countdown, but I waited the prescribed 60 seconds and power cycled it. Works great.

Probably spent 5 hours on the OB-6. I'm a veteran keyboard player, BSEE and an IT consultant nowadays and I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

Wheat
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:18:55 AM by Wheat »

Re: OB-6 Will Not Update to 1.6.4
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 07:43:08 AM »
Try it directly over USB to the OB6, there's no need to use a MIDI interface for this.

pfrf

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 07:46:01 AM »
And if that fails try this:

"I would try updating to the synth via the bootloader. Hold WRITE while powering on. An animation will be shown on one of the screens indicating that bootloader is active. Send the OS to the synth via the MIDI IN port (USB cannot be used in bootloader mode)."

There's an extra light show near the end of the process when updating this way, so don't touch the synth for a minute or two after you reach 000 on the countdown.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »
I've tried the USB interface as stated in the original post w/ all four computers and same result as the MIDI connection.

The OB-6 refuses to go into the bootloader mode. When I hold down WRITE and power on, all I get is a "6" or "b" on the three digit LED, then "1.5.5", then it goes to patch 001. No animation in the Effects display.

Thank you

Wheat

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
My OB6 and P6 refused to update to 1.6.4 over USB using MIDI-OX running on Windows 7 -- the count down did not even start on sysex transmission.

Both updated successfully w/o any problems on the first try over Ploytech MIDI interface driven by MIDI-OX running on Windows 7 with MIDI send/receive buffers size and count set to 1024 and sysex delays set to 100ms.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:56:33 AM by kvitekp »

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »
FWIW, I also had an upgrade lock-up on my OB6 Desktop when I tried doing it via USB and my new Mac Mini. It would count down from 999 to 000 but then would lock-up.

I've managed to succeed by using MIDI DIN and the Bootloader method (holding down the WRITE button and powering ON). (my MIDI DIN interface is Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:32:57 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »
FWIW, I also had an upgrade lock-up on my OB6 Desktop when I tried doing it via USB and my new Mac Mini. It would count down from 999 to 000 but then would lock-up.
It did the same on me with OB6 module. Since it went all the way to 000, I took the risk and power cycled the machine, and it came up nice and works perfectly since than. Frankly, being just 45 miles from Sequential offices in San Francisco helped the decision ;)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 12:18:46 PM »
I went ahead and emailed Sequential support with all the information I've posted here and I'll see what they say and I'll let the group know.

I purchased this OB-6 desktop used from Reverb a couple years ago and it was in like new condition and still is. I gigged with it until COVID hit, but it was always in the official OB-6 carry case. Now it's in the home studio probably for good.

I'm concerned about not being able to get into the bootloader mode so if I have to, I'll send it back to the experts for repair.

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Regards,

Wheat

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
I went ahead and emailed Sequential support with all the information I've posted here and I'll see what they say and I'll let the group know.

I purchased this OB-6 desktop used from Reverb a couple years ago and it was in like new condition and still is. I gigged with it until COVID hit, but it was always in the official OB-6 carry case. Now it's in the home studio probably for good.

I'm concerned about not being able to get into the bootloader mode so if I have to, I'll send it back to the experts for repair.

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Regards,

Wheat

Regarding your difficulty in getting the synth to start in Bootloader mode, perhaps the Write button is momentarily "dirty". Try pressing it hard repeatedly a dozen times (this should help clean the oxidizing of the contacts) and then try the Bootoader method again...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »

Regarding your difficulty in getting the synth to start in Bootloader mode, perhaps the Write button is momentarily "dirty". Try pressing it hard repeatedly a dozen times (this should help clean the oxidizing of the contacts) and then try the Bootoader method again...

I'm pretty sure there's not a dirty momentary switch since this is a modern piece of electronics gear and it's less then 5 years old. It's really in like new condition and kept in the case when not in use. I repair music equipment as a side gig to make gear money and have replaced 100's of those Alps switches over the years. I have a Roland JX-10 on the bench now I'm doing a full refurb on and just finished replacing all the momentary contact switches.

Thank you

Wheat

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's not a dirty momentary switch since this is a modern piece of electronics gear and it's less then 5 years old. It's really in like new condition and kept in the case when not in use. I repair music equipment as a side gig to make gear money and have replaced 100's of those Alps switches over the years. I have a Roland JX-10 on the bench now I'm doing a full refurb on and just finished replacing all the momentary contact switches.

Thank you

Wheat

Try it, you have nothing to lose.

It has happened to my beloved OB6 and others here also have had those buttons become non functionning momentarily. Especially those buttons that we don't use that often.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:03:42 PM »
I am having the same issue as stated above...Tried many different routes, different computers.  Upon completing the countdown, it just reboots stating firmware 1.5.5 is still loaded.  I have tried the bootloader method, but updating over midi ends up hanging before completing.  It appears the sysex message is sending at a different rate than the corelated countdown on the OB-6....  Tried messing with buffer sizes a bit, but this territory is unknown to me, and I didn't want to cause any unintended problems with the my OB-6.  .. I'll send a message to support as well, I suppose.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 12:07:04 PM »
I am having the same issue as stated above...Tried many different routes, different computers.  Upon completing the countdown, it just reboots stating firmware 1.5.5 is still loaded.  I have tried the bootloader method, but updating over midi ends up hanging before completing.  It appears the sysex message is sending at a different rate than the corelated countdown on the OB-6....  Tried messing with buffer sizes a bit, but this territory is unknown to me, and I didn't want to cause any unintended problems with the my OB-6.  .. I'll send a message to support as well, I suppose.

I got it working over a USB to MIDI device (emagic) with OB6 in bootloader using the old ELEKTRON C6 sysex program.

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Elektron_C6_MAC_AND_WIN_1.51.zip

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2023, 12:07:54 PM »
I know this a really old post that I forgot to reply to, but Sequential sent me a new write button at no charge and once installed, this resolved the update issues.

Sequential is a class act, thanks tech support for the quick response.