Difference in Quality/Build/Sound (DSI or SEQUENTIAL)

Difference in Quality/Build/Sound (DSI or SEQUENTIAL)
« on: December 23, 2023, 12:37:58 PM »
Hey hey!

I am finally about to pull the trigger on an OB-6, I love everything about it that ive watched and read, however, I was wondering if there is a difference between the older models that say Dave Smith and the newer ones that say SEQUENTIAL, hardware or soundwise.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Re: Difference in Quality/Build/Sound (DSI or SEQUENTIAL)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 05:19:53 AM »
I doubt there's any difference between them. Same company, same manufacturing, they just got back the rights to the brand, so started shipping with the Sequential logo.

kpatz

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 09:27:11 AM »
There could be hardware revisions to account for parts availability or cost, but generally they don't change the sound much if at all.  Also, any hardware revisions wouldn't necessarily coincide with the branding change.

I would consider any OB-6 of any age to be one in the same, whether it says DSI or Sequential on it.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 11:52:51 AM »
There were some slight internal component variations when certain ones were unavailable but don’t think it has a significant impact. The only one thing I do remember is that some of the LEDs didn’t go fully dim after a certain firmware but I can’t remember if it affected the older or the newer units.

pfrf

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 09:38:40 AM »
I've only spent time with two OB-6s, one was labeled D.S.I., one labeled Sequential.  The Sequential version had wobbly knobs and one voice was quieter than the others.  The D.S.I. version had solid knobs and sounded good but had beat up end cheeks.  They were both brand new and came in sealed boxes.  I bought the D.S.I. version (serial in the early 1500s) and replaced the end cheeks.  Anecdotal, but maybe helpful.