MPE coming to the Rev2?

MPE coming to the Rev2?
« on: January 05, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
Any chance that MPE will be added to the Rev2? I see that the new betaOSes for the Prophet 6 and OB-6 included MPE so it sparked some hope that the Rev2 would be next.

When I first got my Linnstrument I ordered a Prohlphet 08 module, not understanding that it didn’t have MPE support. I ended up selling it and “downgrading” to a Tetra because the Tetra at least has a 4 voice combo mode that I could play with my Linnstrument in ChPerNote mode, but would really like to upgrade to a proper  MPE Prophet.

The Rev2 would be great with MPE. Especially if the X axis could be used to modulate between two timbres in a stacked patch.

Re: MPE coming to the Rev2?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
I too would love MPE on the Rev2.  I also bought a used Tetra (two of them!) just to use with the Linnstrument.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »
The "OB6 MPE" thread has discussion from Pym about the development of MPE for the OB6/P6.  Apparently he's had it working on the Rev2 since April of last year, and it seems like it is still coming along.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3226.40.html

I just bought an OB6 to use MPE with it, and just got my first chance to play with it this weekend.  While having MPE on the OB-6 is very nice, I realized the implementation is a lot more limited than using "MPE" (actually Multi Mode) on the Tetra, which was never designed for it.  The main drawbacks are the limited Y-axis destinations, which is configured globally instead of per patch.  On the Tetra I was able to configure Linnstrument's X, Y, Z to modify multiple Tetra parameters each, and these settings could be saved per patch.  That way I can design patches specifically for their expressive response.  The main drawback of Tetra's Multi-Mode for MPE is that you have to constantly switch into/out of Multi Mode to edit the patch, because editing parameters while in Multi Mode only edits one voice at a time, while editing out of Multi Mode edits all four voices.

I very much hope the Rev2 MPE implementation will be as flexible as the Tetra Multi-Mode is, but with more convenient editing!

Mauro

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
Wow, mpe in rev2 would be a dream. And would turn it to the most powerful and versatile synth. Finger crossed.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
Yeah, the Rev2 would be an instant-buy for me if they added MPE support..

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:09 PM »
Any advice for a prospective buyer to whom MPE is a pretty-biggie? I have an OB-6 and playing it w/ the Linnstrument is great. I'm selling my Prophet '08 to partially fund either a Rev2, which will be great once MPE is added, or a P6, which already has MPE, but has its tradeoffs. I might have an easier time choosing if the internet told me, "oh for sure the Rev2 firmware with MPE won't take more than another 2-3 months."

electricmonk

• electronic artist / rock keyboardist
    • electricmonk links
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »
I emailed support @ Sequential, they said that there's no more code memory free in the Rev2 so MPE support is impossible. @Pym / someone else at Sequential, can you confirm?

CCrow

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:45 AM »
The "OB6 MPE" thread has discussion from Pym about the development of MPE for the OB6/P6.  Apparently he's had it working on the Rev2 since April of last year, and it seems like it is still coming along.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3226.40.html

I just bought an OB6 to use MPE with it, and just got my first chance to play with it this weekend.  While having MPE on the OB-6 is very nice, I realized the implementation is a lot more limited than using "MPE" (actually Multi Mode) on the Tetra, which was never designed for it.  The main drawbacks are the limited Y-axis destinations, which is configured globally instead of per patch.  On the Tetra I was able to configure Linnstrument's X, Y, Z to modify multiple Tetra parameters each, and these settings could be saved per patch.  That way I can design patches specifically for their expressive response.  The main drawback of Tetra's Multi-Mode for MPE is that you have to constantly switch into/out of Multi Mode to edit the patch, because editing parameters while in Multi Mode only edits one voice at a time, while editing out of Multi Mode edits all four voices.

I very much hope the Rev2 MPE implementation will be as flexible as the Tetra Multi-Mode is, but with more convenient editing!

I would have to assume that whatever space was used to implement MPE at that time has now been used in the recent bug fix updates instead. Hope I am wrong because MPE would be great

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 02:46:30 PM »
I would be quite deviated if MPE is not possible on Rev 2.  I have been waiting month after month for this.  MPE is my primary mode of music production these days.  I would be using my Rev 2 every day.  Now it is mostly collecting dust :(

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »
It's time to move on from the Rev2.  It's a completed instrument, apart from possibly a last polished update.  It is what it is.

maxter

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »
At least it can receive polyphonic aftertouch messages, so that's like 1/3 MPE?  ???

The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 09:08:38 AM »
I would be quite deviated if MPE is not possible on Rev 2.  I have been waiting month after month for this.  MPE is my primary mode of music production these days.  I would be using my Rev 2 every day.  Now it is mostly collecting dust :(

Lesson one when buying a new synth: Never buy it based on a “what if” feature you assume they are going to implement later.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 02:26:13 AM »

Lesson one when buying a new synth: Never buy it based on a “what if” feature you assume they are going to implement later.

Good advice.  Probably will sell it eventually and get something that....already...has MPE.  Sad they can't do it I love the rev2, but literally everything I do now uses MPE

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2023, 07:31:39 AM »
Is there any official statement by now that they are not going to add MPE to the REV2? When it came out i remember them saying they plan on implementing it IF enough people ask for it. By no theres not really a reason not to do it, especially now that MPE gets more and more mainstream (push 3, osmose etc.) apart from it not being possible. It would be amazing and it was also one of its selling points at that time for me as it seemed like the next evolution analog synths. Now even the reissue are more capable ^^ And yes, Lobolives is completely right here.

So 1+ for MPE =)

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 11:50:19 AM »
I'd also very much welcome the addition of MPE to the REV2.
It could really add a lot to the REV2.

It would also show that Sequential/Focusrite Group are interested in supporting existing products and customers. ;-)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:58:46 AM by computing.sound »