The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

MPE coming to the Rev2?

MPE coming to the Rev2?
« on: January 05, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
Any chance that MPE will be added to the Rev2? I see that the new betaOSes for the Prophet 6 and OB-6 included MPE so it sparked some hope that the Rev2 would be next.

When I first got my Linnstrument I ordered a Prohlphet 08 module, not understanding that it didn’t have MPE support. I ended up selling it and “downgrading” to a Tetra because the Tetra at least has a 4 voice combo mode that I could play with my Linnstrument in ChPerNote mode, but would really like to upgrade to a proper  MPE Prophet.

The Rev2 would be great with MPE. Especially if the X axis could be used to modulate between two timbres in a stacked patch.

Re: MPE coming to the Rev2?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
I too would love MPE on the Rev2.  I also bought a used Tetra (two of them!) just to use with the Linnstrument.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »
The "OB6 MPE" thread has discussion from Pym about the development of MPE for the OB6/P6.  Apparently he's had it working on the Rev2 since April of last year, and it seems like it is still coming along.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3226.40.html

I just bought an OB6 to use MPE with it, and just got my first chance to play with it this weekend.  While having MPE on the OB-6 is very nice, I realized the implementation is a lot more limited than using "MPE" (actually Multi Mode) on the Tetra, which was never designed for it.  The main drawbacks are the limited Y-axis destinations, which is configured globally instead of per patch.  On the Tetra I was able to configure Linnstrument's X, Y, Z to modify multiple Tetra parameters each, and these settings could be saved per patch.  That way I can design patches specifically for their expressive response.  The main drawback of Tetra's Multi-Mode for MPE is that you have to constantly switch into/out of Multi Mode to edit the patch, because editing parameters while in Multi Mode only edits one voice at a time, while editing out of Multi Mode edits all four voices.

I very much hope the Rev2 MPE implementation will be as flexible as the Tetra Multi-Mode is, but with more convenient editing!

Mauro

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 02:32:53 PM »
Wow, mpe in rev2 would be a dream. And would turn it to the most powerful and versatile synth. Finger crossed.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
Yeah, the Rev2 would be an instant-buy for me if they added MPE support..

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:09 PM »
Any advice for a prospective buyer to whom MPE is a pretty-biggie? I have an OB-6 and playing it w/ the Linnstrument is great. I'm selling my Prophet '08 to partially fund either a Rev2, which will be great once MPE is added, or a P6, which already has MPE, but has its tradeoffs. I might have an easier time choosing if the internet told me, "oh for sure the Rev2 firmware with MPE won't take more than another 2-3 months."

electricmonk

• electronic artist / rock keyboardist
    • electricmonk links
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 08:54:52 AM »
I emailed support @ Sequential, they said that there's no more code memory free in the Rev2 so MPE support is impossible. @Pym / someone else at Sequential, can you confirm?

CCrow

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 10:29:45 AM »
The "OB6 MPE" thread has discussion from Pym about the development of MPE for the OB6/P6.  Apparently he's had it working on the Rev2 since April of last year, and it seems like it is still coming along.

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3226.40.html

I just bought an OB6 to use MPE with it, and just got my first chance to play with it this weekend.  While having MPE on the OB-6 is very nice, I realized the implementation is a lot more limited than using "MPE" (actually Multi Mode) on the Tetra, which was never designed for it.  The main drawbacks are the limited Y-axis destinations, which is configured globally instead of per patch.  On the Tetra I was able to configure Linnstrument's X, Y, Z to modify multiple Tetra parameters each, and these settings could be saved per patch.  That way I can design patches specifically for their expressive response.  The main drawback of Tetra's Multi-Mode for MPE is that you have to constantly switch into/out of Multi Mode to edit the patch, because editing parameters while in Multi Mode only edits one voice at a time, while editing out of Multi Mode edits all four voices.

I very much hope the Rev2 MPE implementation will be as flexible as the Tetra Multi-Mode is, but with more convenient editing!

I would have to assume that whatever space was used to implement MPE at that time has now been used in the recent bug fix updates instead. Hope I am wrong because MPE would be great

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 02:46:30 PM »
I would be quite deviated if MPE is not possible on Rev 2.  I have been waiting month after month for this.  MPE is my primary mode of music production these days.  I would be using my Rev 2 every day.  Now it is mostly collecting dust :(

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »
It's time to move on from the Rev2.  It's a completed instrument, apart from possibly a last polished update.  It is what it is.
"Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!"

- Henry David Thoreau

The Musical Synthesizer YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChLGwGiRVs7rlZXnOG9_mUw

The Musical Synthesizer Blog: https://themusicalsynthesizer.wordpress.com

maxter

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 09:01:26 AM »
At least it can receive polyphonic aftertouch messages, so that's like 1/3 MPE?  ???

The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 09:08:38 AM »
I would be quite deviated if MPE is not possible on Rev 2.  I have been waiting month after month for this.  MPE is my primary mode of music production these days.  I would be using my Rev 2 every day.  Now it is mostly collecting dust :(

Lesson one when buying a new synth: Never buy it based on a “what if” feature you assume they are going to implement later.